Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medicine cabinet

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends,

My new Jayco 285 RLS SLX, which I don't get for a month (aww!) doesn't have a medicine cabinet in the bathroom, only a mirror attached to the wall.

Not a big deal for just one person (me), but I was wondering, has anyone replaced a mirror with a medicine cabinet? Easy enough to you? Where to get one? Any tips?

thanks!

Kevin
21 REPLIES 21

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
stevemorris wrote:
I replaced the plastic **** cabinet in two trailers with a cabinet that I made.
but im a cabinet maker by trade!

Can you post a pic in that case? ๐Ÿ™‚

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Most recessed medicine cabinets have through holes in the back that are used for fasteners to a naling strip. In an RV, a guy could mount a nailig strip, install the cabinet and then encircle it with finished wood of choice.

In my S&B, I have two full mirror medicine cabinets, surface mounted. I found the cabinets on-sale for cheap and liked the beveled glass fronts. They have a piece of trim that is hidden by the cabinet flange and even serves as a shelf on the top piece.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The thing I hate about my medicine cabinet and what you would have to watch out for (If you were still going to do this project but, I see that you are not) is that the back wall of my TT is inclined to the front of the TT and that is where my cabinet is mounted. They put the bottom of the medicine cabinet on a 2X1 to make up for the lean but, it is not enough and the cabinet leans forward. So, I can put stuff in it but, the slightest little bounce makes it fall over and when I open the door stuff falls out.

The good news is that I am learning to be a better catch this way.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the plastic **** cabinet in two trailers with a cabinet that I made.
but im a cabinet maker by trade!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried locating the studs with a stud finder?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
For my new small TT, I just added an over the door organizer to the back wall behind the toilet. No bathroom sink or vanity. I used 3M command stick on hooks to hold it up. If I have any probs, I will just use drywall faster & screws. Fairly quick and easy.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bears Den wrote:
My medicine cabinet is wall mounted from the factory and uses the exterior wall for the back of it. It has a mirror and two shelves. Works just fine, no need to be recessed into the wall.

X2 - this is how all of mine have been. None were recessed.

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends,

thanks for all the replies, it's all good advice. I too am very concerned about drilling holes into a brand new camper. My 2012 came with one already installed, which made me a bit surprised my new Jayco won't have one. I don't think I'll go much further into this project, as it's just a place to keep toothpaste, nail clippers and shaver, etc. I don't think it's worth risking damage to a new camper just to find a place to keep toothpaste.

thanks!

Kevin

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
How about using construction adhesive instead of screws for mounting? The idea of blindly drilling into RV walls is not in the realm of things I want to try given how badly things can turn out, the adhesive would be stronger than the MDF once cured.

I think construction adhesive is a bad idea. Camper walls are usually thin plywood with a wall covering (wallpaper). So you would be attaching a cabinet to the wall covering and relying on its adhesive to remain attached to the wall. A better choice would be Molly bolts designed for thin material.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
My medicine cabinet is wall mounted from the factory and uses the exterior wall for the back of it. It has a mirror and two shelves. Works just fine, no need to be recessed into the wall.

x2 mine also

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about using construction adhesive instead of screws for mounting? The idea of blindly drilling into RV walls is not in the realm of things I want to try given how badly things can turn out, the adhesive would be stronger than the MDF once cured.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Medicine cabinets are usually (always?) surface mounted. Below are a couple of photos of OP's Springdale, 2018 & 2016 models and show a med.cabinet above the vanity sink. Older models also appear to have a med. cabinet. No idea if these were original or added by the owner. Maybe the PO removed the cabinet and replaced it with a mirror?

Med. cabinets can also be added above the toilet (like ours). There's many sources of stock cabinets like Lowes, etc. If wanting something original looking and to match existing wood finish, may try a Keystone dealer and they could order one.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Recessed cabinet will be out of the question....as others have already suggested....RV walls are only about 2 inches thick.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that if you tried to recess mount a standard medicine cabinet, it would be sticking out of the other side of the wall.
Lots of medicine cabinets at Loweโ€™s, HD, etc.
With the variety of wall anchors available, mounting shouldnโ€™t be too difficult.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch