cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 ram versus 2006 ram

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
looking & trying to decide on which truck to purcase. 04 has 96000 miles Nd air bags, 06 only has 79000 miles both trucks equally equipped. both trucks are florida truck 04 is 2200 cheaper than 06 . any input from you all would be appricieated in try to decide
15 REPLIES 15

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
So which one did ya get? Come on lets see some pictures!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd get Silver over Maroon, but I like the 04 seats over the 06 seats if they're cloth.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
2004.5 was 325/600 and does indeed have a catalytic converter. I understand they made some tow/haul switching changes later on that some didn't like. My 2004.5 just turned 90k and I would classify the engine as being in very good condition, almost fresh. I expect many more years of continued trouble free service. I do wish I had better headlights.

I would pick the one that has the exhaust brake already installed.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:
looking & trying to decide on which truck to purcase. 04 has 96000 miles Nd air bags, 06 only has 79000 miles both trucks equally equipped. both trucks are florida truck 04 is 2200 cheaper than 06 . any input from you all would be appricieated in try to decide

I would get the '06 if both were in the same condition. The '04 may or may not have 48re transmission that is better than the previous 47 that supposedly was transitioned out with the 04.5 model year. Also, the '04 may or may not have the 325/610 HO engine. The '06 for sure has the 48re transmission (unless it is a manual transmission) and the 325/610 HO engine. Also, you might want to look at the axle ratios to be sure you are getting the one you want for towing. Most duallys came with at least a 3.73 and many a 4.10 ratio.

I believe is was only the early 2003's that still had the 47RE and lower HP/TQ.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
All things being equal, I would get the 06. It's just a little better in many ways.

Both are a nice find though. They would sell within hours of posting where I live.

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the replies,just checked they both have dropped there price,car faxes are clean on both trucks leaning to the 06 as its silver the 04 is plum thanks again

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bucky, theyโ€™re in FL. Prolly Rv ers with low miles.
Either truck will be solid, same chassis, same drivetrain except if stick shift then one is an iron box , the other is aluminum with a weak factory clutch.
Power difference donโ€™t matter, you can wake both of them up with a mild tune and the trans differences are easily overcome as well.
Bunch of other nuances if you get into the details, but apples to apples setup, Iโ€™d let condtion, Miles, price and color dictate, honestly.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Advantages to the 06 are 20% better headlight output and the trans is exhaust brake approved.
Either one will have the 48Re trans (47re trans phased out in 03) and any difference in eng output is so small it's meaningless unless the 04 was a "standard output" eng.

I'd probably take the one that looks to be in the best condition but if you want to use an exhaust brake, go for the 06.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:
Simple for me. The 2004 looks much much better. Iโ€™d go for the 04. Not a big fan of the funky aero head lights on the 06-08 rams. Plus you save money!

Thanks!

Jeremiah

As far as looks go, I completely agree! 3rd gen looks are my least favorite.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

I would get the '06 if both were in the same condition. The '04 may or may not have 48re transmission that is better than the previous 47 that supposedly was transitioned out with the 04.5 model year. Also, the '04 may or may not have the 325/610 HO engine. The '06 for sure has the 48re transmission (unless it is a manual transmission) and the 325/610 HO engine. Also, you might want to look at the axle ratios to be sure you are getting the one you want for towing. Most duallys came with at least a 3.73 and many a 4.10 ratio.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

tkcrawford
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
The horsepower is the same at 325 and the torque numbers are only 10 ft lbs different.
The 2006 does have a newer sensor system that allows more parameters to be read by scan gage and the like.
I would choose based on color, service history, condition, etc but would probably choose the 2006.
I am concerned about the reported mileages. What were these trucks used for? Most duallys were bought to pull and unless these were RVers or horse people I would be looking at Car Fax and other reporting services. Where registered, number of owners, salvage titles, and so on.
The biggest thing is go look and drive them. Worth the flight and time if not local. Lot of hurricanes in FL during those years.

They may not be the same. The early '04s had the 305/555 engine while the '04.5s got a power boost to 325/610, I believe. I've had both and there is a noticeable difference in the seat of the pants acceleration. You can easily tell which one this is by the label on the drivers side of the engine. I've read that the early '04s are more desirable but I'm not sure why. Must be the fact that it has zero emissions junk, I guess. Not even a cat.
I agree that I was never a fan of the big, gawky headlights of the '06 to '09s.
2017 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW, CTD 385/900, Aisin. Crew Cab, 4x4
2019 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple for me. The 2004 looks much much better. Iโ€™d go for the 04. Not a big fan of the funky aero head lights on the 06-08 rams. Plus you save money!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The horsepower is the same at 325 and the torque numbers are only 10 ft lbs different.
The 2006 does have a newer sensor system that allows more parameters to be read by scan gage and the like.
I would choose based on color, service history, condition, etc but would probably choose the 2006.
I am concerned about the reported mileages. What were these trucks used for? Most duallys were bought to pull and unless these were RVers or horse people I would be looking at Car Fax and other reporting services. Where registered, number of owners, salvage titles, and so on.
The biggest thing is go look and drive them. Worth the flight and time if not local. Lot of hurricanes in FL during those years.
Puma 30RKSS

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
3500 dually,cummins in both trucks