cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suitable Tow Vehicle for Kodiak Hybrid

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
My Ford Explorer has been my faithful tow vehicle for years but is now biting the dust. It's a 2003 and has had a long and happy life.

My mechanic recommended a few replacement vehicles (Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition) but they're all huge gas-guzzlers. Yikes!

My little camper weighs in at under 4000 pounds. It's a Kodiak 160SVT 16'. I guess I'm looking for a tow capacity of at least 6000 lbs.

Is there a tow vehicle that'll get the job done that can also serve as my everyday vehicle? I live in a rural county, so I do a good bit of driving to get anywhere.

BTW, I love my little camper. It's perfect for me. If I'm camping solo, I sleep on the dinette bed. If my grandchildren are coming, we open the bed ends.
BabaMartha
7 REPLIES 7

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
Newer 6 cyl. Grand Cherokees can tow 6200 lb. with the tow package

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
babamartha wrote:
My Ford Explorer has been my faithful tow vehicle for years but is now biting the dust. It's a 2003 and has had a long and happy life.

My mechanic recommended a few replacement vehicles (Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition) but they're all huge gas-guzzlers. Yikes!

Have you actually looked at the mpg ratings for full size SUVs?
Newer ones are getting 20+mpg on the highway.
I bet they'll get better gas mileage than your older Explorer, cause I owned a similar Explorer and replaced it with a 2007 Avalanche(the same vehicle as the Suburban). I often got over 20mpg on the highway.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
babamartha wrote:

My Explorer is a 6 cylinder. I'm looking for a reasonably young used vehicle.

Got it. Looks like you truck, IF equipped with 3.73 gears, was rated to tow anywhere from 5300 to 5800lbs. 4wd's had the lower ratings.

Max fully loaded weight on your trailer is 3750...dry weight is ~2500.

A newer Explorer would probably do it, but it would have to have the right tow package.

Same with a newer Grand Cherokee or Durango. Maybe a Toyota 4runner.

Make sure whatever you get has the proper tow package option, not just a hitch someone added on. They have pretty weak tow ratings otherwise.

Lots of half ton crew cab pickups would do the job easily if you aren't stuck on an SUV, even the V6 models. They get decent mileage now.

Even a Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon would pull that trailer as well as your explorer, if you get the new version with the 3.6 V6 or the little 4cyl Diesel.

Just an FYI, a new "gas guzzler" Tahoe is rated at 16/23mpg...your 03 V6 Explorer is rated at 15/21mpg. 8-10 speed transmissions and engine technology have come a long way!
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
Unfortunately, most of the mid sized SUV's are more car than truck these days.

A V8 Durango, as suggested above, or a v8 or deisel Jeep Grand Cherokee may work for you.

Is your current your Explorer a 4.0 v6 or a 4.6 v8?

What year vehicle are you looking for? New? That might help us narrow down our suggestions.

My Explorer is a 6 cylinder. I'm looking for a reasonably young used vehicle.
BabaMartha

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our Kodiak 172e (similar to yours) with a Ram 1500 and it is more than adequate. We average ~18 MPG for non-towing, but is not a daily driver.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, most of the mid sized SUV's are more car than truck these days.

A V8 Durango, as suggested above, or a v8 or deisel Jeep Grand Cherokee may work for you.

Is your current your Explorer a 4.0 v6 or a 4.6 v8?

What year vehicle are you looking for? New? That might help us narrow down our suggestions.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at new vehicles, the Dodge Durango is fairly capable without being too big. As much as I am a fan of new suburbans and expeditions, they can be very expensive as well as a bit much for a daily driver for some people. 2010 was the last year of the full frame for the explorer, and I am currently looking to find a good condition low mileage 2009 or 2010 to add to my fleet, as I might give my 2006 Explorer to one of my kids thatโ€™s about to start driving.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles