Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: New navigation device available
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New navigation device available

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/18 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, working to create a route on a 5" or 6" screen doesn't sound like much fun. I like to create routes while we travel and not having access to offline route planning software is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gatorcq

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/18 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google and Waze are good, but not good enough for high clearance or long vehicles or high weight trucks.

Between Gamin and our Rand Mcnally Vs Google, I'll leave Google until I need to research our final location or want a fly by.

Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 08 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600Ws MPPT, 2800Ws Inv/Chg, 660AH
Alfa SeYa 2003, CAT 3126E 330Hp (Previous)
DaGirslRV Blog

Belgique

Hickory, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/18 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will be curious to see how this works out. My opinion only.

It's not so much the hardware that is important, its the software. Most any of them are good if you want to stay on Interstates, I miss Streets and Trips: the only system I've found that would let you choose preferred roads on a sliding scale of like/dislike. Garmin and Google are absolutes. My NuVi will give me the most amazing routes if I say avoid highways or avoid secondary roads. IMHO, Garmin is the worst. I leave it on just because I have it but Google Maps is much better but even it will give you some weird solutions if I want to venture off Interstates...and I hate that it keeps insisting that it found a better route...

Playing with the TomTom route planner on the link I can't see that it will solve this problem that I have. But, will watch what you folks find. Thanks for the thread.

Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

camperkilgore

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/18 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for this post.

As an rv'er who is always trying to make things less aggravating for himself, I find this Tomtom tempting. I tried the Trip Planner through the link, and I am impressed so far. It's intuitive, and seems easy for my feeble brain to grasp. Some of the things that always irritated me about other planners is that when I try to put in a via/stop/alternate route around a city, the other planners do weird stuff to the route. Like sending us in loops or backtracking. This Tomtom planner does not do that. It works well as long as the stops/detours are put in sequential order as we would approach them when traveling.

I'm not sure how effective it will be if we can't get online when we are in the mountains. I haven't found info indicating a downloadable freestanding version. Anybody know if it can be downloaded, or if it is freestanding if we buy the Tomtom trucker 620?

Tom & Carol

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperkilgore wrote:

...I'm not sure how effective it will be if we can't get online when we are in the mountains. I haven't found info indicating a downloadable freestanding version. Anybody know if it can be downloaded, or if it is freestanding if we buy the Tomtom trucker 620?
I looked around the site pretty good, and saw no indication that there was any kind of stand-alone software. Everything seems to be web oriented, and this doesn't seem to be any different.

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/18 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no standalone software. The choices for building and managing routes are: through the website, through the MyDrive smartphone app or directly on the device (the only method that doesn't require a network connection).

2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/18 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Belgique wrote:

Will be curious to see how this works out. My opinion only.

It's not so much the hardware that is important, its the software. Most any of them are good if you want to stay on Interstates, I miss Streets and Trips: the only system I've found that would let you choose preferred roads on a sliding scale of like/dislike. Garmin and Google are absolutes. My NuVi will give me the most amazing routes if I say avoid highways or avoid secondary roads. IMHO, Garmin is the worst. I leave it on just because I have it but Google Maps is much better but even it will give you some weird solutions if I want to venture off Interstates...and I hate that it keeps insisting that it found a better route...

Playing with the TomTom route planner on the link I can't see that it will solve this problem that I have. But, will watch what you folks find. Thanks for the thread.
Doesn't copilot allow you to select road preferences as you mentioned?

Belgique

Hickory, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/18 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate: it didn't the last time I tried it (or I didn't see that it would). I'll look again. Thanks.

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/18 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In CoPilot you can set both road preference (5 levels of preference from strongly avoid to strongly favor) in the vehicle profile setting. That's is the ROUTE menu then VEHICLE ROUTING PROFILES, the VIEW/EDIT, then ROAD PREFERENCES.

However there's a big problem with that. The only way to use that feature is to turn off "Enable ActiveRoutes." ActiveRoutes is the historical real traffic flow data from Inrix which knows real road speeds at the individual road level. This real traveling speed of the road due to traffic congestion, stop lights, etc is ignored and is replaced by the meaningless speed that the user enters in the Road Preferences setting. It's the same speed for all roads of that category. The resulting ETA is horrible when you do that. As just one example, you set a speed for freeways and then CoPilot uses that same speed for a freeway in the middle of Nebraska at 2am as well as through Atlanta at 5pm. Same goes for state highways in the middle of nowhere vs state highways that are actually major urban roads. It's a horribly designed feature.

Jacksons

columbus,ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

any GPSR is no smarter than it's owner, you have to set your preferences correctly because it will do what you tell it to

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New navigation device available
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS