Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: New navigation device available
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New navigation device available

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far I haven't graduated from Rand McNally roadmaps. WE don't need electronic do-dads to figure out where we are going. I can get a new map every year for less than 10 bucks.
Marvin

Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

camperkilgore

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horizon170 wrote:

So far I haven't graduated from Rand McNally roadmaps. WE don't need electronic do-dads to figure out where we are going. I can get a new map every year for less than 10 bucks.
Marvin

Yep, we sometimes just use maps. Depends on how sharp we feel at the time we take a trip.

Tom & Carol

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new TomTom looks interesting... Our current needs are met by the Garmin we have so CFO wouldn't agree to spend $330. I can certainly see the need as our travels increase beyond the local area.

camperkilgore

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hawkeye-08 wrote:

The new TomTom looks interesting... Our current needs are met by the Garmin we have so CFO wouldn't agree to spend $330. I can certainly see the need as our travels increase beyond the local area.

I was in the same situation. The 4 year old RV gps we have is the Dezl760LMT, and it worked pretty good, but some things were a little aggravating. Mainly to do with planning a route, and adding places along the route in order to change the route picked by the gps itself. Menus and a few other niggles, but I don't want to spend too much time complaining about it.

The TomTom trucker 620 in my opinion is way easier to plan a route. Especially using the route planner. Everything seems to be very intuitive. Which is what I need. After staying at home for long stretches, and then hopping back on the road, the TomTom is not such a pain to remember how to use. The route is easily changed by adding "stops" along the path you really want to take, and the gps seems to pick very logical ways to get to those stops and then continue on to the destination. The Garmin would usually create all kinds of loops and backtracks when any stops were added.

The TomTom route planner can be done on the phone, ipad, or computer as well as the gps itself. Then the route can be sync'd with all the devices when you get it planned. This wifi stuff is turning out to be pretty handy.

But that's enough about my opinion, I didn't start this thread.

* This post was edited 06/14/18 05:01am by camperkilgore *

Edventure

Sebastian, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/18 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone using the new TomTom Trucker 620, how loud is the audio output. My ears are not that good and when that Ford V10 starts screaming it drowns out the commands of my present GPS (Rand Mcnally RVND 7735). Can you connect it via an audio jack, Bluetooth or any other means to vehicle radio or smartphone? Thank you in advance.

jeffcarp

Des Moines, IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The volume is very loud. I turn it down from the maximum setting because it is so loud. There is no means to connect headphones or connect it to your vehicle's bluetooth.

2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

Edventure

Sebastian, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jeffcarp wrote:

The volume is very loud. I turn it down from the maximum setting because it is so loud. There is no means to connect headphones or connect it to your vehicle's bluetooth.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be too loud for me too. Guess I could always get hearing aids but that would make me feel old too.

camperkilgore

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/18 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edventure wrote:

jeffcarp wrote:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be too loud for me too. Guess I could always get hearing aids but that would make me feel old too.

I have a lot of high frequency hearing loss, and we turn up the audio books to allow for that and the road noise. The TomTom still comes through so that I can hear it very well.

It would be nice however if it had some way to override the radio audio via bluetooth.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New navigation device available
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS