cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

necessary to get res for Lake Superior

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of driving from the Soo to Thunder Bay sometime this summer. Is it necessary to get advance reservations between those two or driveup OK for campgrounds? Don't need hookups but would be nice to have.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA
18 REPLIES 18

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
scorpion wrote:
One or two gas stations in White River. Dont know if they have diesel but expect so as there is an active logging business there.

Scorp

thanks forgot about them ,yes diesel aviable
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

scorpion
Explorer
Explorer
One or two gas stations in White River. Dont know if they have diesel but expect so as there is an active logging business there.

Scorp

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
WAWA RV Resort and Campground?
http://www.wawarv.com

I pulled in there mid-October 2013. Nobody around except one other guy who was working locally. Owner/operators nowhere to be seen. But the restrooms were open, and there was electricity.

Emailed them later to get the price and sent in a cheque. Think they were in Florida.

And there was no gas/diesel between Wawa and the Northern burbs of the Sault. Batchawana Bay? Harmony Beach? Maybe a 200km stretch south of Wawa had no services.

I forgot and halfway down realized I wasn't going to make it with the trailer. So dropped that and barely made it to the nearest store/gas station. They were temporarily closed for season-end inventory but were kind enough to run the pumps for me anyway.

EDIT: But see the OP will be filling up at the Soo before crossing over, so no problems there.

Ya fuel is few and far between and getting scarcer.The carver near pancake bay is last gas until Wawa I think, next is marathon-dont buy on the highway at marathon go into town many cents cheaper (per litre)
My tanks hold 250 gallons so I dont really look too close, might of missed some.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
We host at Pukaskwa every summer ,cant fit in all of the sites but we are longer then most.
no reservations allowed
first come first..........

One of our favourite Parks. Just gorgeous.

But disappointed that the campground isn't open when we go by in mid Sept.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
WAWA RV Resort and Campground?
http://www.wawarv.com

I pulled in there mid-October 2013. Nobody around except one other guy who was working locally. Owner/operators nowhere to be seen. But the restrooms were open, and there was electricity.

Emailed them later to get the price and sent in a cheque. Think they were in Florida.

And there was no gas/diesel between Wawa and the Northern burbs of the Sault. Batchawana Bay? Harmony Beach? Maybe a 200km stretch south of Wawa had no services.

I forgot and halfway down realized I wasn't going to make it with the trailer. So dropped that and barely made it to the nearest store/gas station. They were temporarily closed for season-end inventory but were kind enough to run the pumps for me anyway.

EDIT: But see the OP will be filling up at the Soo before crossing over, so no problems there.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Just did that route last week on my way to Red Lake to drop my daughter off. , stayed behind the police station in wawa...g to the end of the road ,turn left and ther is a big turn around that isnt used much . Also Marathon has a big parking lot at Pebble Beach that you will fit . Nice sunsets and a legion just up,the road . T bay has a park at the first entrance to town,about 1 km from # 17 to the north. Not sure what it is like.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
There is also a former KOA in Wawa -called the wawa campground I think.
and a large truck refuelling spot along the 17 in Wawa, shared lot with a closed motel so lots of room to park over night .
not too noisy ,traffic really diminishes after dark - moose ya know.

Yes, we've stayed at that former koa, not too high on the "ambience " level but 30 amp and fu?l services. If you hit Marathon Penn lake is a good stop, you can reserve by calling the town office, check their website.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a former KOA in Wawa -called the wawa campground I think.
and a large truck refuelling spot along the 17 in Wawa, shared lot with a closed motel so lots of room to park over night .
not too noisy ,traffic really diminishes after dark - moose ya know.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Great help. Plan on filling diesel at the soo then get reservations ahead of time at Thunder Bay for 3-5 days. Make two stops along the way between the soo and thunder bay checking your recommended places. No problem for me to park overnight with no hookups.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
We host at Pukaskwa every summer ,cant fit in all of the sites but we are longer then most.
no reservations allowed
first come first..........
Newmar 34rsks 2008

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:

and perhaps one of the longer sites in Pukaskwa National park near Marathon (electric only).

Pukaskwa is great if you can fit.

Don't think any Ontario Provincial or National Parks up North have water at the sites. But they all have treated water to fill your tank.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We run that route each summer on our way to Red Lake in northwest Ontario. We used to stop at Lake Superior provincial park but our longer RV got scratched up (untrimmed trees and tight turns in the campgrounds). Suggest the SSM KOA, Penn Lake park in Marathon (both full service) and perhaps one of the longer sites in Pukaskwa National park near Marathon (electric only). Reservations are probably recommended depending on if you are stopping over a weekend. Thunder Bay KOA is also a good stop. Neys provincial park is nice, sites on the lake shore but very busy during the summer.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
So no to answer your question it is not nesssesary,but the closer you are to the cities of SS marie or thunder bay the tougher it gets.
The middle part of the trip(Wawa or marathon) the easier.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
could be tight if you drive up ,depends on the size of your rig,If you are not particular .
There is also Neys PP rainbow fallsPP the town park in Marathon ,the national park (no reservations taken)
and there are always spots there-except last year when it was free admission.
we have got spots in all of these just driving up

oh forgot white lake PP.
Newmar 34rsks 2008