cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine Air Box Melted

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2004 Mandalay 40D which has an air box between the air intake and the engine air filter.
I recently had the RV serviced and they replaced the air filter.
They failed to tighten the hose between the air box and the air filter and the box shifted down and ended up on top of the exhaust pipe.

This caused the air box to melt onto the exhaust pipe.  I was able to get it off and patch it, and secure it off the exhaust.

In checking with Mandalay they said the air box was a plastic molded box and that the mold has been destroyed due to no orders in many years.

Here are my questions:
Do I need an air box ?
Do you have one on your RV (my friends RV's do not, Tiffin and Monaco) ?
If I really need one, can I even get something to replace the patched one I have ?

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
17 REPLIES 17

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE: No luck at any junkyard in AZ, IN, or MI. They had my RV but all the air boxes were melted from engine fires, so no luck.

Looks like I might have to fabricate one.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
no part available, still looking
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary, you ROCK, went to their website they had my RV, same year and color.
Emailed them hopefully they will have the part.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
MIle High, the melted portion is very large. Who could I take it to for a repair ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Is repair out of the question?

PS, had a recall on our air box drain - hole was too small and would plug causing some real issues if the engine drew in water. I would say they are important.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
JCat wrote:
I have a 2004 Mandalay 40D which has an air box between the air intake and the engine air filter.
I recently had the RV serviced and they replaced the air filter.
They failed to tighten the hose between the air box and the air filter and the box shifted down and ended up on top of the exhaust pipe.

This caused the air box to melt onto the exhaust pipe.  I was able to get it off and patch it, and secure it off the exhaust.

In checking with Mandalay they said the air box was a plastic molded box and that the mold has been destroyed due to no orders in many years.

Here are my questions:
Do I need an air box ?
Do you have one on your RV (my friends RV's do not, Tiffin and Monaco) ?
If I really need one, can I even get something to replace the patched one I have ?

Thanks

I completely understand that the issue at the end of the day is the need to locate the obsolete part or a replacement. However, have you made contact with the facility that serviced your unit? Clearly, if what you have said is accurate, they have a responsibility to locate the parts and make the repair at no charge to you.
2012 American Coach Revolution

Gary_
Explorer
Explorer
you might try rvexteriorbodypanels.visonerv.com I noticed they
had a few wrecked Mandalays. Good Luck.

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update, Mandalay did not make the part and the company that did make it has destroyed the mold as no parts were ordered in 8 yrs.
I contacted 1 AZ salvage yard and they do not have any Mandalay RVs.

So anyone else know where I can find a wrecked Mandalay RV ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know about flame resistance of plastic vs fiberglass but there are various Cummins engine plastic pieces and Monaco plastic pieces so apparently plastic is not a issue.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My air intake like other Monacos is located DS rear high. The engine air intake is near the top of this outside air intake and there is a drain hose at the bottom for any water. There are no other water drains.

Bob

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
JCat wrote:
I have a 2004 Mandalay 40D which has an air box between

Here are my questions:

Do I need an air box ?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with your particular setup but I do have some engineering experience. I can tell you that engineers do not usually add complexity to any system unless they have some reason(s) for it. If you delete the air box you may find out (the hard way) why it was there in the first place. Just a guess. Often the air box contains internal baffles/plenums which are designed to minimize intake air noise/pressure waves which disrupt your ears.

Chum lee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you need something that:

1. Sucks air from outside the coach (cooler than if it is in the engine room).

2. Absolutely need a water drain-- think of all the water sheeting down the side of the coach while driving in rain coming from that side of the coach.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have contacted a salvage yard in AZ, where members of the Mandalay group mentioned that there are a few salvage Mandalays.

2Hands - please read the original post, I stated what Mandalay said.

Brett - good idea as always, thanks for the idea, I will pursue it.
CA Traveler - good idea as well, but i think I would like something a bit more flame and melting resistant.

But the bigger questions for me is:
Do I really need an air box ?

It seems that it's sole purpose is to drain water out of the air intake system, when it rains.
But many RV's don't have this box, so is it necessary ?

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or repair it with fiberglass.

Bob