Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Arghhh! :R
Service Dog gives birth in airport before boarding plane.
https://wsvn.com/news/local/service-dog-gives-birth-to-8-puppies-at-florida-airport-gate/

How many more GLARING red flags does one need to see that this was

NOT

a service dog?

Just but once again another owner lying to get their dog on a plane.
And the media splashing a false news all over the internet. This owner should have been "arrested for falsifying a service dog to gain access on a plane". Where is the TSA when you need them?

Just using the word Service Dog on all this media coverage gives a bad name to REAL service dogs. This was NOT a service dog.

Pregnant dogs are NOT used as service dogs.
Service dogs are all neutered before being put into REAL Service Dog work. So there would not be pregnant dogs in REAL service.

They seriously need to rewrite the definition of what a 'Real' Service dog is to assist the airlines, and to protect the rights of people who need real service dogs, and to stop this insanity on planes....just saying.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

35 REPLIES 35

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:

I'm curious, how many (what percentage) flunk out of real service dog training? The only experience I've had with them is providing vet services when needed.

Since being teamed up with a service dog, I’ve read and been told that about one out of four ultimately succeeds in training. So three out of four flunk out. Some organizations say four out of five.

Some become “career change” Dogs like my Lab - she was whelped by Guide Dogs for the Blind but had a tiny, breed-typical cataract, so was eliminated from working as a guide dog. The organization offered her (as they often do) to Dogs for the Deaf where she was trained to be a Hearing Dog. I take her to the ophthalmology vet every year, through the ACVO free exam program for service dogs, to monitor the cataract.

Others that don’t make the cut for various reasons are offered for adoption as pets. Some organizations give the puppy raiser right of first refusal.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
The true victims of all the fake service dog scams are the actual people who need them. People have been so bombarded by the fakers that they automatically assume anyone with a dog in a place of business is gaming the system. These amazing dogs are truly doing God's work. It is truly sad that the lowest of the low have brought us all to the point that we assume nearly every service dog is a fake and the person with them is a lout.

Bears repeating 🙂

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
The good thing is if it is not your place of business, you can tell the fake service dog owners anything you dang well please and not face any recriminations. My two favorites are "I truly hope your need to lie about your dog being a service dog will lead to you actually needing a real service dog in the future." Or, if you are only 99% sure, tell them. "Isn't it great that service dogs exist. I am so sorry you have the need for one. I am sure you agree with me that there is a special place in Hell for people who lie about having a service dog so they can take their mutt with them wherever they go. Have a blessed day."
The true victims of all the fake service dog scams are the actual people who need them. People have been so bombarded by the fakers that they automatically assume anyone with a dog in a place of business is gaming the system. These amazing dogs are truly doing God's work. It is truly sad that the lowest of the low have brought us all to the point that we assume nearly every service dog is a fake and the person with them is a lout.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:

I'm curious, how many (what percentage) flunk out of real service dog training? The only experience I've had with them is providing vet services when needed.

I know two families who own "flunkies" - both the dogs were just a bit too hyper (I suppose there's a fine line between "driven to be a helper" and "PITA".....LOL!) They sought these dogs because they are bred for temperment and health. Also, my bro-in-law in Florida raised a couple of puppies who were destined to become service dogs: the first dog "graduated" and found a person to assist; the second dog flunked out - but so did my bro-in-law as a "puppy-raiser". Ooops.

Several members of the Paws With A Cause Training team attended the obedience classes that I attended at the Kalamazoo Kennel Club, so I had lots of chances to watch them interact with dogs. I think they could have taught a turnip to fetch. They were amazing in their ability to "read" a dog, so I suspect that once a dog is accepted into the program, not too many fail?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
BCSnob wrote:
...So instead of railing against “fake service dogs” let’s really define the problem: obedience training not required for emotional support dogs.

That is accurate, and probably a reason that emotional support animals are not included in the ADA even though they can provide a valuable service. Perhaps they should be included provided the animal is trained in obedience.

Excellent comments by both posters.

Emotional support animals can still be casual, informal pets and can provide benefits.

But...perhaps a new CATEGORY could be created for ESA that gets "approved for public travel" ?

dturm
BCSnob wrote:
...So instead of railing against “fake service dogs” let’s really define the problem: obedience training not required for emotional support dogs.

That is accurate, and probably a reason that emotional support animals are not included in the ADA even though they can provide a valuable service. Perhaps they should be included provided the animal is trained in obedience.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of the incorrect use of “service dog” by the general public and the press when in reality the problem dogs fall under the category of emotional support dogs (as defined by the ada).

So instead of railing against “fake service dogs” let’s really define the problem: obedience training not required for emotional support dogs.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
How about a $15,000 fine for Fraudulent Theft of Service for forcing or attempting to force an establishment to provide accommodation for non-qualifying 'pets'

If a business wants to permit pets, that is their choice and can have its own rules and charges.

Once the fraudsters are at equitable risk as with businesses who may be unjustly sued, we start at a solution.

I would suggest adding a panel as the evaluating body before official certification and required in the event of a lawsuit- with the 3rd option of ruling 'no-fault' when no ill-intent by the defending party was intended and NO MONETARY AWARDS (including attys).

Stop the financial rewards for fraud and the fraud goes away 😉

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
That's great news, Dr Doug! I'm lucky enough to live near a Service Dog training facility (Paws with a Cause), so I see young dogs in stores (being trained) a LOT! You can spot them a mile away, by their obedience and demeanor - their ability to ignore distractions is incredible (unlike most pets). I worry that the preponderance of fakes will make it hard for those who truly need a service dog.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
I got this yesterday from an online newsletter from the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association)

AVMA panel exploring options for cracking down on bogus service animals

Service animals receive intensive training to perform specialized tasks for people with impaired abilities, and the Americans with Disabilities Act requires businesses to admit service animals, but the same is not true of comfort or emotional support animals, many of which are simply pets. Some websites have begun peddling bogus certifications and identification vests, and the AVMA is exploring regulatory options, says Dr. Zenithson Ng, a member of the AVMA's Steering Committee on Human-Animal Interaction.

(for those of you unaware, the AVMA is THE major association of veterinarians in the US)
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I just spent two days at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI (an awesome experience that is not to be missed BTW).

Both days we saw the same family walking around INSIDE THE MUSEUM with their big slobbering bulldog wearing a fake service vest. The young heavily tattooed millennial holding his leash wasn’t doing a thing to control the dog. He was barking loudly, sniffing everyone’s crotches, peeing indoors, etc. The family was large enough that they were roaming around in 2-3 groups. Whenever the fake service dog group would run into one of their other family groups, the fake service dog handler would just drop the dog’s leash so he could go run over the other group.

No museum employee was ever seen anywhere near them. I’d be willing to bet they were all scared to death to do anything about it.

When is this going to stop?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
We often go to RV campgrounds where RV folks have two, three and even four dogs. Why would anyone need that many dogs to go camping? 🙂

It depends on how cold the nights get.....LOL! Ed calls our two his "leg warmers"

X2
Have you ever heard the phrase "Three Dog Night"?
Here's where that originated regarding keeping warm.

....originated in the Australian outback or the northern reaches of North America with the Eskimos. The meaning, however, is quite clear. The phrase is a rudimentary nightly temperature gauge. Dogs huddled with humans at night for the warmth. On really cold nights, three dogs were called into the bed to keep the owner from freezing to death. The phrase was cemented in literature by Jane Resh Thomas’ book Courage at Indian Deep

Now if you google "Three Dog Night" all that comes up is the rock band of the same name!

If you want to see where the saying "have to see a man about a dog" comes from and others click here! :C
https://iheartdogs.com/6-common-dog-expressions-and-their-origins/

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I DO think

many of the fake service dogs are located in the warmer states; I see many in Florida - not so many in Michigan.

I think a tiny bit of it has to do with leaving your dog in a hot car.

Boy have you got that right!

I have never even seen a real service dog in any stores back in Wisconsin. Now that I am in Florida I 'literally' have to fight my way thru all the fake service dogs lunging at me in the Walmart just to get to the grocery aisle!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We currently travel with 7 of our 9 dogs; but we don’t “camp” with our RV.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M