Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

I'm not sure why this was even posted on a forum for RV's. It happened in an airport - not sure how airplanes and RV's are related. Maybe an RV was on fire while driving by an airport - or something...

chuckbear wrote:

Very much agree. If you want to complain about this subject, take somewhere that would like to hear your opinion. We often go to RV campgrounds where RV folks have two, three and even four dogs. Why would anyone need that many dogs to go camping? [emoticon]

If either of you hang out here for awhile you'll learn that this forum isn't just about RV-specific pet topics. We discuss a wide range of issues. For example, health issues are often discussed that have nothing specifically to do with RV'ing. Dr. Doug nor any of the other mods seems to have a problem with it. My suggestion is to leave the moderating to them.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is exactly the fact of the 'addition' of 'emotional' therapy dogs that is the problem. There are no clear guidelines on how an establishment can verify or discern between a fake and real service dog.

So ergo they let them all in establishments for fear of being sued.[emoticon]

The ADA is not up to date on this and the problem IS that the description contained in the ADA report is very vague compared to years ago when most service dogs PERFORMED a function for the blind and handicapped, etc. PERFORMED not just sat there next to a person.

The ADA like everything else is dancing the line of not stepping on the toes of a handicapped person.

Every time I go to Walmart there are puppies being brought in, dogs peeing on every corner aisle in the food sections, dogs sitting in the shopping carts and on and on. NONE of these dogs are service dogs. And add to the fact websites selling all kinds of fake service dog products.

Yesterday I watched a couple pull there two dogs out of their car in the Walmart shopping center and then proceeded to split up and come in two different doors each with a dog, pretending they were not together, so it did not appear that they owned both dogs. Just to bring their non service dogs into Walmart.

Walmart is scared to death to make an evaluation between real and fake service dogs for fear of being sued.

ADA has to readdress their requirements and definitions of service dogs that do not perform a service for a handicapped person. I.E. emotional support dogs. So they can be readily identified as a certified service dog.

This is the loophole that dog owners are using to schlep their pets into establishments.

If you have ever been around a REAL service dog you will know they don't ride in shopping carts, they don't pee all over the establishment. AND most importantly they don't go up to other people walking by. I am tired of having these fake service dogs crawl all over me when I am trying to shop. And I most certainly don't want a dog in a shopping cart that I put food in.

Real service dogs are fully trained in their discipline, healthy, 'clean' and up to date on their shots so they CAN be accepted in areas of food and in public places. Its all part of the very rigorous training for a real service dog and owner.

I have owned registered therapy dogs that I take to hospitals upon request, that have passed rigorous training for both dog and owner. So I know support dogs CAN be regulated. They would not be allowed in hospitals with out it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since our 16 year old dog died I love going places where I can enjoy dogs. I always ask if I can PET them. Many hardcore service owners say no. Some actually get mad. Fake service dog people almost 100% dont care. Thats ok with me atleast the dog enjoyed getting petted. Mut, pure breed or parts inbewteen dogs are great. Just some dog owners should be the one on a leash.
More tail wagging less bark.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So was that a us gov recognized therapy dog registration body?
Or was it a private registration body that commercial healthcare companies accepted?

Since therapy dogs don’t fall under ada it’s a different problem than establishing a certification process to satisfy a us law.

For example, how would a seizure alert dog be certified? Induce a seizure in the handler and document the dog alerted?

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice pitbull servicd dog in airport the other day....both the women and the man took turns with him. interesting ****.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
2500HD

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/18 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I for one don't want to be responsible for certification of a dog... who in the government would be qualified to determine that even if the laws were more complete and well written.

There are real service functions that dogs perform that are not covered by the ADA, and many of those are accomplished just sitting next to the owner.

The real problem is that "fake" service dogs are popping up and we tend to lump them all into a category with real service dogs when we don't agree with or understand the function.

The main issue I have is that a pregnant animal (regardless of service dog certification) would be allowed to travel on a plane. Most airlines require a health exam/certification to travel. I would not have issued one.

Doug, DVM

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (8 year old Terrier of some sort), Kaiya (6 yr old Golden)
Jill & Henry at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

NCWriter

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/18 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Hearing Dog trained by Dogs for the Deaf (now known as Dogs for Better Lives since they also train autism assistance dogs.) This airport story raised a lot of eyebrows in the service dog community.

Dogs trained by nonprofit organizations are spayed or neutered well before they are placed into service around age 20 to 24 months. A small number of dogs are retained to be breeders, and they aren’t public access animals. I’ve seen how carefully the breeding process is managed for these very valuable dogs (sometimes it is by artificial insemination, sometimes not). The due date is well-anticipated. A male and female pair of breeder dogs don’t live together, much less fly around in airplanes together.

Working service dogs are continuously on duty for their handlers without time out for distractions like whelping a litter of puppies.

2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

....The main issue I have is that a pregnant animal (regardless of service dog certification) would be allowed to travel on a plane. Most airlines require a health exam/certification to travel. I would not have issued one.Doug, DVM

X2
You are absolutely right.

I sure would like to see these people prosecuted for 1.Falsifying service dog information to board an airplane and, 2.I'd sure like to see a verification of the dogs health certificate too. My monies on they made one up themselves.

It's just like that issue of a passenger claiming her peacock was a service animal. [emoticon]

I've owned peacocks. They are the most wildest, aggressive birds I have owned.

No one has been able to breed the wildness out of them. They are as wild as a pheasant. They will pick a woman's earrings out in a nano second, they will also rip anything shiny off your body like buttons,rings and necklaces. And those talons? Don't get them ticked off!

I TRIED and TRIED to make my peacocks my pets but when they started striking at my eyes is when I admitted defeat!

There is NOTHING a peacock can do that would be service animal worthy. They don't even like humans at ALL! [emoticon]

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

It is exactly the fact of the 'addition' of 'emotional' therapy dogs that is the problem. There are no clear guidelines on how an establishment can verify or discern between a fake and real service dog.

So ergo they let them all in establishments for fear of being sued.[emoticon]

The ADA is not up to date on this and the problem IS that the description contained in the ADA report is very vague compared to years ago when most service dogs PERFORMED a function for the blind and handicapped, etc. PERFORMED not just sat there next to a person.

The ADA like everything else is dancing the line of not stepping on the toes of a handicapped person.

Every time I go to Walmart there are puppies being brought in, dogs peeing on every corner aisle in the food sections, dogs sitting in the shopping carts and on and on. NONE of these dogs are service dogs. And add to the fact websites selling all kinds of fake service dog products.

Yesterday I watched a couple pull there two dogs out of their car in the Walmart shopping center and then proceeded to split up and come in two different doors each with a dog, pretending they were not together, so it did not appear that they owned both dogs. Just to bring their non service dogs into Walmart.

Walmart is scared to death to make an evaluation between real and fake service dogs for fear of being sued.

ADA has to readdress their requirements and definitions of service dogs that do not perform a service for a handicapped person. I.E. emotional support dogs. So they can be readily identified as a certified service dog.

This is the loophole that dog owners are using to schlep their pets into establishments.

If you have ever been around a REAL service dog you will know they don't ride in shopping carts, they don't pee all over the establishment. AND most importantly they don't go up to other people walking by. I am tired of having these fake service dogs crawl all over me when I am trying to shop. And I most certainly don't want a dog in a shopping cart that I put food in.

Real service dogs are fully trained in their discipline, healthy, 'clean' and up to date on their shots so they CAN be accepted in areas of food and in public places. Its all part of the very rigorous training for a real service dog and owner.

I have owned registered therapy dogs that I take to hospitals upon request, that have passed rigorous training for both dog and owner. So I know support dogs CAN be regulated. They would not be allowed in hospitals with out it.

Good post. Add that you have attorney's that travel the country with levels and tape measures checking ADA compliance of businesses then attempt to get money for any nit picked issue found. It's legalized extortion. Usually if you follow most people out of a store who are carrying "emotional support dogs" you'll find they are also parked in a HC space. Probably printed out a blue tag from the net. Plenty game the system such as my neighbor. He has been on disability for years yet did a decent job of a frame up restoration on a 56 Chevy, and had no problem re roofing his house while carrying bundles of shingles up a 40' ladder. His only disability is not wanting to work.

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

Here is a guide published by the ADA on this topic - lots of wrong info on this thread - read the whole thing, not just up to the part that makes you think your opinion is correct.

I'm not sure why this was even posted on a forum for RV's. It happened in an airport - not sure how airplanes and RV's are related. Maybe an RV was on fire while driving by an airport - or something...

Very much agree. If you want to complain about this subject, take somewhere that would like to hear your opinion. We often go to RV campgrounds where RV folks have two, three and even four dogs. Why would anyone need that many dogs to go camping? [emoticon]

Not sure exactly how YOU became the self appointed content monitor here? You are obviously a passionate defender of a practice that a lot of Americans find to be abusive and ridiculous. Bottom line is that there is an epidemic of people who are abusing the rights AND responsibilities that come with NEEDING and caring for a legitimate service dog. I recently was challenged by a little mutt, roughly a 15 pound dog, who came up a trail in a campground, and bared it's teeth at my wife and I. Now, unlike most folks, my wife is LEGITIMATELY severely disabled, 100% paralyzed on one side by a brain injury. She has also been attacked in the past by a small dog, who had an issue with her cane use, and decided to bite her repeatedly, until she sucessfully beat the the dog with the cane. This leashless little cur was followed by a wack job of a woman, who was 30-40 feet behind. The woman shouted that we shouldn't be concerned as that is her, "service dog, who is trained to protect her from harm". She was obviously a bit "off" but got there just in time, as I was about to give the obnoxious little furbag a ride on my size 13 foot.

Sorry, chuckbear, but in many, perhaps most, cases you are attempting to defend the indefensible. Most cases where "service dogs" are creating issues in our society, involve folks that just want to have their dog in an environment where it does not belong, or mentally unstable pet owners who self-diagnose a "need" for a service animal. A fake service animal is no different that an able bodied person who spends a few years after grandma passes, using grannie's Handicap parking pass, until it expires. They are scumbags making life more difficult for disabled folks that have legitimate needs.

As for you having an issue with folks who camp with two dogs. Seriously? Might be time find a new hobby, if that is a problem for you. Honestly, your comment about why folks need that many dogs to go camping is pretty odd. We have had two dogs for decades. Should we leave one to fend for itself at home? What about when we were fulltiming, or when we are snowbirding for five months at a time? I got it, we will take two, and it anybody like you has an issue with it, we will explain that they are "service dogs". One is a registered "comfort dog" with an official E-bay certification, and the other warns us about dangerous folks, LOL.

* This post was edited 05/31/18 05:36am by soren *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS