Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

And I most certainly don't want a dog in a shopping cart that I put food in.

Have you ever seen some of the kids that are riding around in shopping carts?? ROFL!! I'll take a dog any day......

But I agree with Dr Doug - anyone who was willing to put a VERY pregnant dog on an airplane scares the daylights out of me.

I DO think many of the fake service dogs are located in the warmer states; I see many in Florida - not so many in Michigan. I think a tiny bit of it has to do with leaving your dog in a hot car. Since most of the questionable "service dogs" seem to be foofy little breeds, most folks are carrying them; and that doesn't really bother me.

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

We often go to RV campgrounds where RV folks have two, three and even four dogs. Why would anyone need that many dogs to go camping? [emoticon]

It depends on how cold the nights get.....LOL! Ed calls our two his "leg warmers"

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We currently travel with 7 of our 9 dogs; but we don’t “camp” with our RV.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

I DO think many of the fake service dogs are located in the warmer states; I see many in Florida - not so many in Michigan. I think a tiny bit of it has to do with leaving your dog in a hot car.

Boy have you got that right!

I have never even seen a real service dog in any stores back in Wisconsin. Now that I am in Florida I 'literally' have to fight my way thru all the fake service dogs lunging at me in the Walmart just to get to the grocery aisle!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

chuckbear wrote:

We often go to RV campgrounds where RV folks have two, three and even four dogs. Why would anyone need that many dogs to go camping? [emoticon]

It depends on how cold the nights get.....LOL! Ed calls our two his "leg warmers"

X2
Have you ever heard the phrase "Three Dog Night"?
Here's where that originated regarding keeping warm.

....originated in the Australian outback or the northern reaches of North America with the Eskimos. The meaning, however, is quite clear. The phrase is a rudimentary nightly temperature gauge. Dogs huddled with humans at night for the warmth. On really cold nights, three dogs were called into the bed to keep the owner from freezing to death. The phrase was cemented in literature by Jane Resh Thomas’ book Courage at Indian Deep

Now if you google "Three Dog Night" all that comes up is the rock band of the same name!

If you want to see where the saying "have to see a man about a dog" comes from and others click here! [emoticon]
https://iheartdogs.com/6-common-dog-expressions-and-their-origins/

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just spent two days at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI (an awesome experience that is not to be missed BTW).

Both days we saw the same family walking around INSIDE THE MUSEUM with their big slobbering bulldog wearing a fake service vest. The young heavily tattooed millennial holding his leash wasn’t doing a thing to control the dog. He was barking loudly, sniffing everyone’s crotches, peeing indoors, etc. The family was large enough that they were roaming around in 2-3 groups. Whenever the fake service dog group would run into one of their other family groups, the fake service dog handler would just drop the dog’s leash so he could go run over the other group.

No museum employee was ever seen anywhere near them. I’d be willing to bet they were all scared to death to do anything about it.

When is this going to stop?

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/04/18 05:21pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/18 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got this yesterday from an online newsletter from the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association)

Quote:

AVMA panel exploring options for cracking down on bogus service animals

Service animals receive intensive training to perform specialized tasks for people with impaired abilities, and the Americans with Disabilities Act requires businesses to admit service animals, but the same is not true of comfort or emotional support animals, many of which are simply pets. Some websites have begun peddling bogus certifications and identification vests, and the AVMA is exploring regulatory options, says Dr. Zenithson Ng, a member of the AVMA's Steering Committee on Human-Animal Interaction.

(for those of you unaware, the AVMA is THE major association of veterinarians in the US)

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (8 year old Terrier of some sort), Kaiya (6 yr old Golden)
Jill & Henry at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's great news, Dr Doug! I'm lucky enough to live near a Service Dog training facility (Paws with a Cause), so I see young dogs in stores (being trained) a LOT! You can spot them a mile away, by their obedience and demeanor - their ability to ignore distractions is incredible (unlike most pets). I worry that the preponderance of fakes will make it hard for those who truly need a service dog.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a $15,000 fine for Fraudulent Theft of Service for forcing or attempting to force an establishment to provide accommodation for non-qualifying 'pets'

If a business wants to permit pets, that is their choice and can have its own rules and charges.

Once the fraudsters are at equitable risk as with businesses who may be unjustly sued, we start at a solution.

I would suggest adding a panel as the evaluating body before official certification and required in the event of a lawsuit- with the 3rd option of ruling 'no-fault' when no ill-intent by the defending party was intended and NO MONETARY AWARDS (including attys).

Stop the financial rewards for fraud and the fraud goes away [emoticon]

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a lot of the incorrect use of “service dog” by the general public and the press when in reality the problem dogs fall under the category of emotional support dogs (as defined by the ada).

So instead of railing against “fake service dogs” let’s really define the problem: obedience training not required for emotional support dogs.

* This post was edited 06/07/18 07:08am by BCSnob *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS