Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

...So instead of railing against “fake service dogs” let’s really define the problem: obedience training not required for emotional support dogs.

That is accurate, and probably a reason that emotional support animals are not included in the ADA even though they can provide a valuable service. Perhaps they should be included provided the animal is trained in obedience.

I'm curious, how many (what percentage) flunk out of real service dog training? The only experience I've had with them is providing vet services when needed.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (8 year old Terrier of some sort), Kaiya (6 yr old Golden)
Jill & Henry at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

BCSnob wrote:

...So instead of railing against “fake service dogs” let’s really define the problem: obedience training not required for emotional support dogs.

That is accurate, and probably a reason that emotional support animals are not included in the ADA even though they can provide a valuable service. Perhaps they should be included provided the animal is trained in obedience.

I'm curious, how many (what percentage) flunk out of real service dog training? The only experience I've had with them is providing vet services when needed.

Excellent comments by both posters.

Emotional support animals can still be casual, informal pets and can provide benefits.

But...perhaps a new CATEGORY could be created for ESA that gets "approved for public travel" ?

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

I know two families who own "flunkies" - both the dogs were just a bit too hyper (I suppose there's a fine line between "driven to be a helper" and "PITA".....LOL!) They sought these dogs because they are bred for temperment and health. Also, my bro-in-law in Florida raised a couple of puppies who were destined to become service dogs: the first dog "graduated" and found a person to assist; the second dog flunked out - but so did my bro-in-law as a "puppy-raiser". Ooops.

Several members of the Paws With A Cause Training team attended the obedience classes that I attended at the Kalamazoo Kennel Club, so I had lots of chances to watch them interact with dogs. I think they could have taught a turnip to fetch. They were amazing in their ability to "read" a dog, so I suspect that once a dog is accepted into the program, not too many fail?

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good thing is if it is not your place of business, you can tell the fake service dog owners anything you dang well please and not face any recriminations. My two favorites are "I truly hope your need to lie about your dog being a service dog will lead to you actually needing a real service dog in the future." Or, if you are only 99% sure, tell them. "Isn't it great that service dogs exist. I am so sorry you have the need for one. I am sure you agree with me that there is a special place in Hell for people who lie about having a service dog so they can take their mutt with them wherever they go. Have a blessed day."
The true victims of all the fake service dog scams are the actual people who need them. People have been so bombarded by the fakers that they automatically assume anyone with a dog in a place of business is gaming the system. These amazing dogs are truly doing God's work. It is truly sad that the lowest of the low have brought us all to the point that we assume nearly every service dog is a fake and the person with them is a lout.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

The true victims of all the fake service dog scams are the actual people who need them. People have been so bombarded by the fakers that they automatically assume anyone with a dog in a place of business is gaming the system. These amazing dogs are truly doing God's work. It is truly sad that the lowest of the low have brought us all to the point that we assume nearly every service dog is a fake and the person with them is a lout.

Bears repeating [emoticon]

NCWriter

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/18 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Since being teamed up with a service dog, I’ve read and been told that about one out of four ultimately succeeds in training. So three out of four flunk out. Some organizations say four out of five.

Some become “career change” Dogs like my Lab - she was whelped by Guide Dogs for the Blind but had a tiny, breed-typical cataract, so was eliminated from working as a guide dog. The organization offered her (as they often do) to Dogs for the Deaf where she was trained to be a Hearing Dog. I take her to the ophthalmology vet every year, through the ACVO free exam program for service dogs, to monitor the cataract.

Others that don’t make the cut for various reasons are offered for adoption as pets. Some organizations give the puppy raiser right of first refusal.

2013 Itasca Navion IQ 24G

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Another FAKE service dog gives birth in airport
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS