cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Fridge Fan?

MACHZER
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I asked this question on some else's thread and felt like I was hijacking it.

I know I have seen input regarding a small fan to help air movement in the outside of the fridge to help move air and heat up the wall.

What king of fan do I need to use? 12 or 120v ? Computer fan?

Thanks
Clandeboye , Manitoba
26 REPLIES 26

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
Go it, thanks. Went out and looked at the back of the fridge this past weekend. Ordered a fan w/ a thermostat that comes on @ 130 degrees.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mikefos the 12 volt is there to power the frig. That's why some of us put in an on/off switch for the fans. You should see a power block on the bottom plate of the frig this is where the 12 volts connects to power the refrig. And were you can get the power for the fans.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Here is a link showing how to properly vent a refer. Most installations do not follow installation as recommended by manufacturers.
RV venting

IMO and experience one of the most common problems with almost all refer installs is that baffle at the top of the refer to close off the dead space is missing or inadequate. This causes a "air bubble" of warm air to reduce or prevent heat to properly escape thru the roof resulting in poor cooling. This issue can come and go depending on when/if/how severe this blockage forms.

Larry

I'll second what Larry is saying here. Factory baffling is generally somewhere between inadequate to missing completely. This takes the whole heat will rise through the air tunnel causing cool air to be pulled across the coils process to a crawl. Verifying and fixing or installing baffles is step one, adding a fan either at the top of the vent to pull warm air up or at the bottom to force cool air up over the cooling fins is step two if you want maximum refrig performance. I've done this on both a popup I had and my current TT. Both work wonderfully now, regardless of the temps outside and I never have to turn my frig up to max to keep my freezer stuff frozen and my frig stuff in the high 30's, low 40's.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Here is a link showing how to properly vent a refer. Most installations do not follow installation as recommended by manufacturers.
RV venting

IMO and experience one of the most common problems with almost all refer installs is that baffle at the top of the refer to close off the dead space is missing or inadequate. This causes a "air bubble" of warm air to reduce or prevent heat to properly escape thru the roof resulting in poor cooling. This issue can come and go depending on when/if/how severe this blockage forms.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
If I add a 12v fan, and somehow tap into power in the rear of fridge compartment, does it only come on when running the fridge on electricity, or will it come on when running on propane, too?

Does anybody have any pics or pointers on where to tap into 12v in the rear compartment? Thanks.
Mike and Kim
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
RV venting

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our fridge is on a slide and has external cooling fans on it from the factory. I'm told it's because convection cooling doesn't work well on side-vented fridges. It is an added drain when dry camping though.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
mikefos wrote:
How do you keep things cold while on the road?

We pack our residential fridge a day or two ahead. I put as much in there as I can. Even canned goods like corn. They absorb the cold and hold it while it's unplugged. "Bulk" is best. It can stay cold for at least 6 hours. I watch the temperature using a remote thermostat mounted on the dash. We can start the generator if needed but on most trips, we're running that anyway for the A/C so there's never an issue.

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
How do you keep things cold while on the road?
Mike and Kim

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't boondock, the best way to fix a propane refrigerator is:

Step 1: Take it out

Step 2: Sell it on Craiglist

Step 3: Replace it with a fridge from Home Depot

Step 4: Spend the cash you have left on ice cream

Step 5: Eat ice cream

You get more space inside the fridge without all the propane junk on the back and it really gets cold inside. You don't have to be level for it to work and it doesn't burn your rig to the ground.

drgslayr
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I was looking at adding a fan as well. I have this on my amazon list but haven't pulled the trigger.

Dont waste your time on that POS. I picked up 2 of them dirt cheap brand new for like 10 bucks. That solar panel is garbage and will fail on you as it did on both of mine. They start getting water or whatever in them and start to come apart. Not even sure they were worth 10 bucks.

This reviews on them are not good and most folks say the same thing happened to them

Wow good to know. Thanks

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at adding a fan as well. I have this on my amazon list but haven't pulled the trigger.

Dont waste your time on that POS. I picked up 2 of them dirt cheap brand new for like 10 bucks. That solar panel is garbage and will fail on you as it did on both of mine. They start getting water or whatever in them and start to come apart. Not even sure they were worth 10 bucks.

This reviews on them are not good and most folks say the same thing happened to them

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

drgslayr
Explorer
Explorer

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42165-Refrigerator-Solar-System/dp/B0012FEX5K

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
check out www.allelectronics.com for fans, a computer fan will work for what you want and also a switch inside to shut it off when not needed. I also installed a thermister on mine to shut both outside fans off when the outside temp get cooler.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game