cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Signal says no Dish Hopper 3 in RV.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Their product description says...

“A software upgrade may be required if this receiver is being installed in RV or marine application. Contact a customer service rep with your order # to make upgrade arrangements.”

When I asked about the update they said they couldn’t do it and a Hopper 3 wouldn’t work in an RV. I don’t believe it. I told them to ship it anyway, as is with a DPH 42 switch and a solo hub.

Am I wrong?

Note: I have a Winegard Trav’ler and a Dish 1000.2 with EA hybrid LNBs.
Larry
25 REPLIES 25

ghiotom
Explorer
Explorer
As to the meter, I couldn't get a signal at all on my First Strike FS-1 meter using the hybrid LNB.
2018 Sprinter/Thor Four Winds 24HL

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s been awhile but just to close the loop, I’m finally in a location where I can use the Trav’ler with DPH42 installed and all is well.
Larry

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Up and running w/tripod mounted 1000.2 & Twin, EA Hybrid LNBs. All seems well.

(As OP I guess I can hijack my own thread with a related but off topic question.)

While I have the attention of Solid Signal and the forum’s resident Dish brain trust, do I need a new meter? My trusty old Acutrac III+ doesn’t seem to work very well with the new hybrid LNBs. I used to get something in the teens on empty sky and 60s or 70s peak. With the new LNBs I get mid 50s with no signal and around 60 peak. The difference is so small that, even on high resolution, it’s difficult to peak the signal.

Is that just the nature of things now? I see a Solid Signal branded meter that looks a lot like my Acutrac III+. It has some nice features. Would it do better with the hybrid LNB signal?
Larry

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:
ljr wrote:

The way I read it they wanted caps not terminators (with a resistor). I didn’t see anything about screw on vs push on. What I have are screw on caps with no resistor. I’ve put them on all unused connections for years.

Might be ok. Maybe being all plastic is important. You might want to ask DISH. Anyway, here's what DISH recommends:

The DPH42 I ordered from Solid Signal showed up today. It came with screw on, metal caps.
Larry

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
There are screw on terminator caps that should be used on any unused connections.

The DPH42 installation manual specifically says not to use those screw-on terminator caps, and to use the plastic ones provided. OP, you could damage your equipment by using terminator caps.

BTW, Bill, how many DISH equipment installs have you done lately?

SNORE, you are simply wrong that you should not install the outdoor switch outdoors. If you should not use terminal caps then just remove the center wire and screw the caps on. If you want to give accurate information, please make it accurate and not opinionated. Keep in mind that I do not care what you are anyone on this forum does. If a terminator cap should not be used, that's good information but you should have mentioned in your previous post that DISH recommends using the rubber caps "for outdoor installation" and not that they (you) don't recommend installing it outdoors.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suspect the problem has to do with the Tailgater type antennas (DOME TYPE) and if you have a multi-LNB Dish (Triple) it will work just fine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:

The way I read it they wanted caps not terminators (with a resistor). I didn’t see anything about screw on vs push on. What I have are screw on caps with no resistor. I’ve put them on all unused connections for years.

Might be ok. Maybe being all plastic is important. You might want to ask DISH. Anyway, here's what DISH recommends:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

solidsignal
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

You would better serve you customers if checked ***Link Removed***, ***Link Removed***, or at least ***Link Removed***.

Solid Signal's information about using a Hopper 3 in an RV was over a year out of date.

I think we both agree that it's never too late to improve. Thanks for the tips.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
There are screw on terminator caps that should be used on any unused connections.

The DPH42 installation manual specifically says not to use those screw-on terminator caps, and to use the plastic ones provided. OP, you could damage your equipment by using terminator caps.

Larry

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
solidsignal wrote:
Hi everyone, Solid Signal here.

I'd like to thank the members of this forum for supporting satellite TV and our web site!

Yes, I'm the one who said you can't do a Hopper 3 in an RV, and that was based on the information we got from corporate. It seems like I was wrong and I'd like to apologize. I'll be watching this page to make sure that everything came out ok with the install, and updating our CSR scripts to make sure they're right!

You would better serve you customers if checked my DISH blog, Mark Bruss's, or at least Sateliteguys DISH forum.

Solid Signal's information about using a Hopper 3 in an RV was over a year out of date.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
solidsignal wrote:

I'd like to thank the members of this forum for supporting satellite TV and our web site!

Yes, I'm the one who said you can't do a Hopper 3 in an RV, and that was based on the information we got from corporate. It seems like I was wrong and I'd like to apologize. I'll be watching this page to make sure that everything came out ok with the install, and updating our CSR scripts to make sure they're right!

Happy RV'ing!

Wow! Thanks for the update. Your tech support has always been my go to source for reliable answers to satellite TV questions. If I’d heard that from a Dish CSR it would have gone in one ear and out the other. From you guys and I start to wonder what I’m missing. You have renewed my faith.

There may be some old Dish info floating around yet, causing some confusion from back when Dish said they didn't "support" using any DVR receivers in an RV. They never said WE couldn't do it, just that THEY wouldn't do it, nor would they provide tech support for an RV installation. The times they have changed though...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
solidsignal wrote:

Happy RV'ing!

Wow! Thanks for the update. Your tech support has always been my go to source for reliable answers to satellite TV questions. If I’d heard that from a Dish CSR it would have gone in one ear and out the other. From you guys and I start to wonder what I’m missing. You have renewed my faith.
Larry

solidsignal
Explorer
Explorer

Happy RV'ing!