Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: ARP Control for fridge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> ARP Control for fridge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
two travelers

Smithtown, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw an article on this product that is supposed to keep fridge from overheating and extend the life. Has any one installed it? Is it worth the money. Our fridge already has a fan since it is vented through an upper vent. Is there second fan really needed?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I have the ARP installed. It does work as advertised. However, my fridge is slowly going to fridge heaven and so I've wired around the ARP for now.

If I am concerned about overheating, I can put it back in the circuit by flipping one switch.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they are worth it. One of the BIG features is the design to turn the refer OFF if you park unlevel for time enough to possibly damage the CU. It then turns the refer back on once the unlevel condition goes away. It does this by monitoring the boiler temp. When you park unlevel, your boiler temp rises and the ARP detects that and stops any potential damage. Doug

Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. Goshen IN summers

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/18 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours works as described, good add on system, would add to any gas/electric refer I might own.

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
Our lady Scottie on board, Duchess
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been thinking about one of these as well.
I have fans, does it make sense to get the one with cooling fan control?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would have saved me a lot of $$$$ if I’d had one when I parked over night on a incline and forgot to turn my 1200 off. Having a switch to turn on an additional fan would be nice...good addition feature from the original ones.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, anyone with a Norcold 1200, should have both the ARP and SS-30 Halon extinguisher. We added the Amish Cooling Unit to our Norcold 1200, as a safety upgrade. We added extra cooling fans on the coils. The SS-30 Halon and Smoke Alarm in the rear cabinet. We traveled this way 4-5 years, and confirmed that our Solar Panel and Battery Bank had more then enough capabilities to support changing to a Samsung. And, I was beginning to have intermittent problems with what I thought was a failing Control Module for the fridge.

We did buy the ARP too, and I was about to install it when we made the decision to shift to the Samsung instead. I know several who have installed the ARP, including the gent I gave out unit to, and all are pleased with the results. Cheap insurance.

And note. Our decision to go to the Samsung, was based more on wanting the larger capacity. If we'd retained the 1200, I would have added a replacement Control Board at the time of installing the ARP.

Best to all,
Smitty

billyboy

md

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i added one on our new to us unit as it sounded like the best thing to do, so we will see. i alrea
dy had a ss30 extinguisher from our old unit

09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good product-- should have been OE from the factory (to control boiler temperature and shut it down before it gets hot enough to do damage or catch fire).

But, suspect the bean counters won over the engineers at the absorption refrigerator manufacturers.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

A good product-- should have been OE from the factory (to control boiler temperature and shut it down before it gets hot enough to do damage or catch fire).

But, suspect the bean counters won over the engineers at the absorption refrigerator manufacturers.
I would think a cheap thermal switch that would shut the refer down when the boiler temp gets too high would do the same thing and not add much cost.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> ARP Control for fridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS