Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Wrangler base plate
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Wrangler base plate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Well after 15 years of pulling around my 01 Wrangler I'm looking for a newer one.
Have my eye on a 2015 4door Sahara. For a little more $ I can change out stock number and use the d hook spot for tabs.
Anyone out there using This bumper? Or something similar.

Mike,
That bumper you linked in the opening post is very, very nice. I'm running many Rugged Ridge products right now in our '15 JKUR and I've had zero issues with any of them. Those D-ring "Recovery Tabs" will work flawlessly for your intended tow setup. We're presently using a set of Smittybilt Gen I bumpers and are using the recovery tabs for towing with our Blue Ox Aventa.
I bought the tow bar adapters from Amazon which had the best price for them. I'd post pics but, like many, I lost privlages for posting pics when Photobucket got greedy. I can post on other sites but, not this one. Anyway, using those recovery tabs is a great way to go. I run around with many, many Jeepers that tow their jeeps, ALL OF THEM WITH THE D-RING mounts. And not one has ever had any issues. Good luck.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are these the D ring adaptors

[image]

I was thinking of these

[image]

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a email back about that rugged ridge bumper that I originally posted and they said it's not for four down towing

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

I got a email back about that rugged ridge bumper that I originally posted and they said it's not for four down towing

I'm not suprised, the D-ring are not designed for that type of use, though some use it. It's not just the D-Ring adapters but the bolts that come with them. If you use the Rock Hard adapter that I link to you should be fine as the bumper itself has nothing to do with it.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2007 Four Winns Horizon 190
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know. Seems they don't think it is strong enough. This is the reply I received from my question.

Hello,

You asked the following question regarding the product "Rugged Ridge 11548.01 Spartan Front Bumper with High Clearance Ends & Overrider for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK "
https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/spartan-front-bumper-high-clear...

Your Question:
Can I use this bumper with tow bar brackets instead of the D rings so that I can pull my Jeep behind my motor home?

Our Answer:
No, this bumper is not rated for flat towing

-------------------------
This is an automated email, any responses will not be seen by a human.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand, it's a CYA type of reply.

But if you think about it the bolts and the tow brackets are the potential weak links. The bolts and the bracket are the points that will be taking the stress of being pulled on, not the bumper. But you need to feel good about your towing, that's what matters most.

Here is another bumper to consider, Iron Cross Full Size Front Bumper With Push Bar

There is a custom Jeep parts maker in Colorado that makes one with tow brackets that is way more affordable but I've lost the URL. I'll see if I can find it for you.

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked at the installation instructions and see the D tabs bolt through the wranglers frame flange. It really is the same thing I posted above of my 01 wranglers base plate and I have pulled that one around like that for 15 years.
I know this one is a little heavier but I think it should be fine. Now to find a place for the safety cables.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manufacture from Colorado I was thinking is Tomken

I know one of the members here bought a bumper from them and had custom attachment points for their tow bar welded on

Here are some posts from the Archives searching for "Tomken" **Click Here**

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Are these the D ring adaptors

[image]

I was thinking of these

[image]

Mike,
Sorry for not getting back here sooner, been traveling a slight amount. No, those are not D-ring adapters. Those are simply towbar adapters to tow bar mounts on various applications. Photobucket was the online photo storage place that I and many others used for storage of photos for when needed to apply to forums like this. But, when they got greedy and wanted a ton of money just to store photos, when there's apparently other photo cache sites that do do it for free, I lost the ability to post photos. And I've not found other or, been able to adapt to other photo host sites.

Now, with all that being said, I'd show you my "D-ring" adapters I use with my Blue Ox Aventa and, our Smittybilt front Mod bumper. And, contrary to popular belief, they (well at least most of those D-ring attachment tabs) ARE STRONG ENOUGH to be used for flat towing. Mine are WELDED on, NOT bolted. And, they are welded from BOTH sides of the bumper face.

Been Jeeping for decades, Moab, Colorado, AZ, CA and more and, have used those recovery tabs (D-ring mounts) thousands of times for Jeep rescue situations in all kinds of circumstances. Of course they're STRONG enough, that's what they're designed for, is PULLING YOUR JEEP out of some tough situations. Or, using your jeep to pull someone else out of their tough situation.

As stated earlier, I've used them for flat towing for years and years and have NEVER, EVER had any of them even crack a weld due to using them for flat towing. This is a choice thing. No one's forcing anyone to use them. If you're thinking they're not strong enough, then simply don't use them. We've got many, many friends that also use their recovery tabs for flat towing and also have never any of them even appear to begin to fail.

This is also about knowing the weld capability, bolt strength, steel plate strength and more. None of our group has ever used any form of a base plate. As stated, we've done Moabs, Colorados, Nevada's, Arizona's and more states trails for years and years and we just don't like the additional loss of ground clearance and angle of approach loss due to using them and, besides, the recovery tabs are there so, to us, just use them. Again, it's a choice/preference thing. If this works, here's a link to the ones we use.
Scott

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Blue-Ox/BX88296.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9rsovu32wIVDoxpCh1saQHFEAQYASABEgL5cPD_BwE

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Rugged Ridge thinks the recovery tabs on their Wrangler bumper are not strong enough to pull a Wrangler then what in the world are they good for and why did they even bother putting them on? Does Rugged Ridge just put the recovery tabs on for looks? Do they think we all use our Wranglers (and bumpers) just as mall crawlers?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Wrangler base plate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS