cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A prices dropping??

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I've been keeping track of the value of my motorhome for fun the past few years. In the last 6 months (in particular), the prices have been dropping HARD. Anyone else noticing this? I'm not interested in selling, but like to keep a pulse on the value. No need for replies telling me how an Rv is a depreciating asset, I already know that... Just surprised at the very rapid drop the past 6 months.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
27 REPLIES 27

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Mine cost $234,000 in 1997 and I wouldn't trade it for half the junk out there today. Just the quality of material and workmanship makes it so much better than what you get today. Big plus is its been paid for for 15 years and has had very few problems--none major. Plus being retired now for 17 years I could not afford an entry level DP today.

I for one, have no idea of the coach, you're referring to and it might be nice if you'd included it, with a signature.
Sure helps in so many ways and especially if you should ever need help.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine cost $234,000 in 1997 and I wouldn't trade it for half the junk out there today. Just the quality of material and workmanship makes it so much better than what you get today. Big plus is its been paid for for 15 years and has had very few problems--none major. Plus being retired now for 17 years I could not afford an entry level DP today.

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
Low NADA retail without options minus 20 % is what you will get on a good day trading. If you sell it yourself low retail without options. But dealers offer financing and extended warranty. So its hard to compete with dealers. Best bet is a consignment with a dealer. Low retail minus 10 % is likely what they will talk you into. I would stay away from the flat fee guys that charge 299 to 600 bucks to sell it. They are rip off artist.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
NCC-1701 wrote:
I just checked NADA and also RV Trader. I'm actually amazed at how well the value on mine is holding up! NADA Average is well above what we paid nearly two years ago. Low NADA is close to what we paid two years ago. Looking on RV Trader all but one were asking well above what we paid and above NADA, and one was $5K less than we paid two years ago. So, I'm not crying yet.

So what conclusion should newbies draw from this?

A - Class A RVs over 10 years old don't depreciate any more
B - You bought a magic RV
C - You are a great trader and if we all make great trades then we won't lose money on depreciation
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked NADA and also RV Trader. I'm actually amazed at how well the value on mine is holding up! NADA Average is well above what we paid nearly two years ago. Low NADA is close to what we paid two years ago. Looking on RV Trader all but one were asking well above what we paid and above NADA, and one was $5K less than we paid two years ago. So, I'm not crying yet.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned many boats in my life. I thought they were a bad investment until I purchased my first motorhome three years ago ! I feel so much better about buying boats now. I got a trade in value on my Tiffin motorhome recently. Going buy another boat.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Well mine hit bottom about 20 years ago! So now it just costs me maintenance and upgrades. But I really like it due to its solid construction, low floor (one outside step and none inside), etc., etc...
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
10 years old are the ones to watch 2008. Gas hits $5 a gallon
There will be more price drops . Just to give Idea you Guys are right I'm starting to see used nice ones going cheap need that down payment for new one . It's crazy people have so much money. Watch depreciation in first 10 years it's like holy shxx. Myself I can make motorhome last 20-30 years. Bit of maintenance it's easy. I know guys trading every 5 years. It's like takes that long to get the bugs out. It's pretty hard to buy yourself out of maintenance guys try it every year. More power to them ..

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at NADA our coach in 2005 was 226,000.00 not cheap for 2005.
Average now is 69,500.00. Ours should bring a few dollars more being stored inside and such and low mileage...but started and run periodically.
I had oped it would be worth a bit more. Who know we might get 80,000.00 out of it.
Still a lot of money was spent on it. Purchase price, finance cost, maintenance, tires, inside storage and upkeep and so on ,It has cost us well over 500,000.00...plus fuel. Probably another 50,000.00 in camping fees.
I hope the new models are more solid and quality but so far cabinets and such are particle board with printed finish etc, where ours is real wood, seats are in excellent shape and softer and larger than the ones, we have seen at shows, over the last few years. Only thing the heat pumps now after duct work suitable for a meat locker but sound like an F14 spooling up.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
StephJohn2010 wrote:
I've been keeping track of the value of my motorhome for fun the past few years. In the last 6 months (in particular), the prices have been dropping HARD. Anyone else noticing this? I'm not interested in selling, but like to keep a pulse on the value. No need for replies telling me how an Rv is a depreciating asset, I already know that... Just surprised at the very rapid drop the past 6 months.

Low NADA on ours is still above what we paid, two years ago.
In fact it might be up just a smidgen from 6 mons ago.
Hard to say what it will bring in hard cash, but I for one, wouldn't pay, what we did in 16 and why should we.
That's for someone else to be paying me...lol
If I could get it, that is!
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Class A prices dropping??

Yes, and medical prices are rising. Those trends are expected to continue FOREVER.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is follow the effect of baby boomers. Harley is the canary in the coal mine. When their children hear about the poor quality of today's rv offerings it sounds a huge warning to this industry.

That's why I bought a ATC 28 front bedroom. Minimalistic quality and all metal. No slides. Its the future and I predicts bone yards full of Elkhart junk looking forward.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
StephJohn2010 wrote:

Yours being a 2012, it has just passed the 5 year mark - that's a big deal with the banks. The next big hit will be at the 10 year mark.

Most people don't pay cash, so when the banks get a little shy the value drops quickly.

Acutely it passed the 6 year mark, some banks don't loan on autos older than 7 years and that's why NADA and KBB price drops a big chunk around 7 years old, unless its a popular model like my 04 Jeep Rubicon in perfect condition with low miles, the price is now going up.:B

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Price of fuel is going the opposite way. Mfg is dropping off in other sectors of the World.