Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Class A prices dropping??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A prices dropping??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I'm on the opposite side - watching with plans to purchase someday. I definitely see prices dropping and, more to the point, value increasing. You can get an amazing amount of coach for your money these days. Features that were only on brand new luxury coaches a few years ago have now trickled down to where guys like me can afford them [emoticon]

I think at the core it's supply and demand. The economy is generally good, fuel prices are not too bad, lots of folks are upgrading, so lots of used units to be had.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were looking at motorhomes, I really wanted to buy used because I knew how much new motorhomes depreciate. We looked for 3 years and didn't find a floorplan (on the used market) that we both liked. Finally found a floorplan that we both loved but it was on a new motorhome. I figured if we purchased out last motorhome first, that I wouldn't care so much about the depreciation since I knew we would keep the motorhome a long time. Boats and RVs are definitely not investments so I tend not to worry about the depreciation since I knew going in what would happen.

If gas prices keep going up I am sure prices on all RVs will come down.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you guys using Nada or something else to determine that prices are dropping?

StephJohn2010

Black Hills, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Are you guys using Nada or something else to determine that prices are dropping?

I'm using what is for sale in my area on RV trader. I've tracked it for years.

John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (27,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

Passin Thru

N VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price of fuel is going the opposite way. Mfg is dropping off in other sectors of the World.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/18 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

StephJohn2010 wrote:

I've been keeping track of the value of my motorhome for fun the past few years. In the last 6 months (in particular), the prices have been dropping HARD. Anyone else noticing this? I'm not interested in selling, but like to keep a pulse on the value. No need for replies telling me how an Rv is a depreciating asset, I already know that... Just surprised at the very rapid drop the past 6 months.

Yours being a 2012, it has just passed the 5 year mark - that's a big deal with the banks. The next big hit will be at the 10 year mark.

Most people don't pay cash, so when the banks get a little shy the value drops quickly.

Acutely it passed the 6 year mark, some banks don't loan on autos older than 7 years and that's why NADA and KBB price drops a big chunk around 7 years old, unless its a popular model like my 04 Jeep Rubicon in perfect condition with low miles, the price is now going up.[emoticon]

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion is follow the effect of baby boomers. Harley is the canary in the coal mine. When their children hear about the poor quality of today's rv offerings it sounds a huge warning to this industry.

That's why I bought a ATC 28 front bedroom. Minimalistic quality and all metal. No slides. Its the future and I predicts bone yards full of Elkhart junk looking forward.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class A prices dropping??

Yes, and medical prices are rising. Those trends are expected to continue FOREVER.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StephJohn2010 wrote:

I've been keeping track of the value of my motorhome for fun the past few years. In the last 6 months (in particular), the prices have been dropping HARD. Anyone else noticing this? I'm not interested in selling, but like to keep a pulse on the value. No need for replies telling me how an Rv is a depreciating asset, I already know that... Just surprised at the very rapid drop the past 6 months.

Low NADA on ours is still above what we paid, two years ago.
In fact it might be up just a smidgen from 6 mons ago.
Hard to say what it will bring in hard cash, but I for one, wouldn't pay, what we did in 16 and why should we.
That's for someone else to be paying me...lol
If I could get it, that is!

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E__Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked at NADA our coach in 2005 was 226,000.00 not cheap for 2005.
Average now is 69,500.00. Ours should bring a few dollars more being stored inside and such and low mileage...but started and run periodically.
I had oped it would be worth a bit more. Who know we might get 80,000.00 out of it.
Still a lot of money was spent on it. Purchase price, finance cost, maintenance, tires, inside storage and upkeep and so on ,It has cost us well over 500,000.00...plus fuel. Probably another 50,000.00 in camping fees.
I hope the new models are more solid and quality but so far cabinets and such are particle board with printed finish etc, where ours is real wood, seats are in excellent shape and softer and larger than the ones, we have seen at shows, over the last few years. Only thing the heat pumps now after duct work suitable for a meat locker but sound like an F14 spooling up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Class A prices dropping??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS