Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Dinette to Bed

ccblank
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!
I have a 1983 Lance Camper with a U-shaped dinette.

I feel confident that the dinette should convert into bed because 1. I don't think Lance overlooked this incredible useful feature even back then and 2. There appear to be support rails for a plank to fit in flush with the seats. HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the pole form the floor without unbolting the thing. The table easily removes from the pole, but the part that secures into the floor will NOT budge. I have a friend who insists that it unscrews, but I cannot get this thing moving.

Does anyone have any insight? Is it possible that the pole and floor support are actually a single unit? It's hard to find info on these older models, so any insight would be much appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

flamingo139
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
flamingo139 wrote:
I have converted from table to bed on my Forest River Cruise lite so many times, that now the table is wobbly. Anyone know how to remedy this problem?

Why/where is it wobbly? Are the tapered ends of the post compressed smaller than they should be? Maybe you can widen them by forcing something inside to spread the crimped ends a bit.

Or how about putting some tape on the pipe ends to shim them tighter?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
flamingo139 wrote:
I have converted from table to bed on my Forest River Cruise lite so many times, that now the table is wobbly. Anyone know how to remedy this problem?

Why/where is it wobbly? Are the tapered ends of the post compressed smaller than they should be? Maybe you can widen them by forcing something inside to spread the crimped ends a bit.

Or how about putting some tape on the pipe ends to shim them tighter?

flamingo139
Explorer
Explorer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, I assume you've been wiggling and pulling for 5+ days now. Any progress?

My table was so useless I unscrewed the bracket from the floor so I no longer have to trip over it. The dinette has been permanently left in "bed mode" for use as a shelf/couch.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto on all the above. My parents had campers built in the 70s, and the table / post was the same. Friction fit at both ends.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

realter
Explorer
Explorer
WD 40 on base and then wrap with Duct Tape for a firm grip. Only 2 tools I ever use??

ccblank
Explorer
Explorer
Ah ok! Good advice everyone! I'm gonna give it my best shot, and I'll report back!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What they said plus you may need another person to rap on the tube or the base with a 2x4 while you pull up.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
wiggle the post and lift up.
with a 35 year old camper it is probably stuck in there really good.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
wiggle the post and lift up.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
The campers I have had with a pole supporting the dinette table were just a friction fit at the top and bottom of the pole. Sort of the way that a vacuum cleaner wand goes together. If the previous owners rarely or never used the dinette bed, the pole could get jammed into the floor socket pretty tight, and be very difficult to remove.

Try this: take the table top off the pole, and grab the top of the pole with both hands. Move the top of the pole around in a circular motion while pulling up on on it. Hopefully it will loosen up and come out.

Once you get the pole out of the floor socket, the table top is typically sized so that it sets down in the open part of the “U” and the cushions will rearrange to make a mattress.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thirty-five year old Lance? Wow. Any pictures for sharing?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad