Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First purchased the trailer on April 10th. I still have not received the license plates or title yet. So I went to the DMV today. They tried to look up the VIN number from my temporary registration. Nothing shows up. Apparently the dealer has not even sent the DMV the MSO yet.

So I called the dealer and they try to meet all sorts of excuses. The bottom line is the temp registration is good for 90 days. We will be back a few days before the registration expires. My question is, are they going to give us a hassle entering Canada and returning to the United states with a temporary registration? I'm definitely going to bring the sales receipts with me but I really don't have any other paperwork to show other than the sales receipt and the temporary registration.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you would have any trouble with that. An unexpired temp registration is still a valid registration.

In my experience, if you're honest and straightforward and cooperative, the border officials are not out to make your day a bad day. Yes, they have the authority to detain you while they search your vehicle etc., which may happen due to random chance or not having crossed before or whatever, but keeping a cool head and a good attitude and letting them do their job will generally get you going before long. I've never encountered officials who have been anything but professional; sometimes humorless or even slightly brusque, but professional.

Lwiddis

El Pueblo Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/18 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line is it’s good in California for 90 days.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

First purchased the trailer on April 10th. I still have not received the license plates or title yet.

You haven't said where in Canada you're going but here in Ontario you'd need a plate on the trailer to even take it off the dealer's lot. Tow it on any roadway without a plate and you'd be sure to be stopped. I've never heard of a situation here where any new owner left without license and registration for the trailer.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/18 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

..... I went to the DMV today. They tried to look up the VIN number from my temporary registration. Nothing shows up. Apparently the dealer has not even sent the DMV the MSO yet.

I don’t want to opine on what a border agent might say, but if your own DMV can’t see it on their system, I can only imagine what a foreign country’s border people would find.

I doubt it would be an easy crossing.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/18 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to be calling the dealer tomorrow and speak to the lady there who handles all the DMV stuff. I will NOT be happy if they never sent the MSO and other paperwork in. I'm praying that DMV has it.

Oh and I miscounted. Sale date was April 10. 90 days from there is July 10. Our trip was supposed to be from June to mid-August. My wife is furious right now. Without the registration we are not going to be able to make it to Albert and B.C. to see her family.

I've been waiting and waiting. My mistake. Never trust what the dealers tell you. I should have gone in to the DMV after a couple of weeks.

UGH!!!!

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 04:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

I've been waiting and waiting. My mistake. Never trust what the dealers tell you. I should have gone in to the DMV after a couple of weeks.

This is so strange to me perhaps you can clarify - is this common in the US? Here in Canada, certainly here in Ontario, the title transfer would be done by the dealer between the time the deal is signed and the trailer arrives at the dealership to pick up the new trailer. On the day one arrives at the dealership to receive his / her orientation and to pick up their new trailer the registration would be presented to the new owner along with all the other paperwork and the new plate would already be on the trailer. It's the same process no matter what you're buying - trailer, car, truck, whatever. I've never heard of taking delivery without registration having been completed but it sounds from this and other posts I've read in the past that this may not be the practice in the US? [emoticon]

lucy6194

Cape cod MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same in Massachusetts.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not at all uncommon to get a temporary tag where I live. But Regardless, how does any of this discussion help the OP? He without a doubt has a temporary tag, whether it is common where you live or not.
His question is:
"My question is, are they going to give us a hassle entering Canada and returning to the United states with a temporary registration?"
His question is not whether or not temporary tags are used where you live.
By the way, Ontario also has a temporary tag: Clicky

blawless

Killaloe, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/18 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In terms of crossing the border the temporary plate is okay as long as you have adequate insurance on the trailer. You may have to insure the Border guard that the trailer is not being imported into Canada.
If a dealer takes more than 90 days to register at the DMV a lot of red flags start going up. Your dealer maybe in the middle of bankruptcy negotiations which is why nothing is registered as sold so they do not lose the money they made on your sale.
Just a reminder you are entering a different country with different rules and regulations. It doesn't hurt to call the border patrol and just ask they will give you the answers to all the paperwork Etc that you need.
Ownership and Insurance liability are the key issues.
I hope you can resolve your issues good luck.

Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS