Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx,

I do not know how things really work (work=BAR) in the people's republic of California, but I have had dealings with many other states.

I was always able to walk in the DMV (or equivalent for that state), show them the paperwork, hand over some cash (get a receipt) and leave with a plate.

The suggestion from this person is that you contact the dealer first and if no love there, go directly to the DVM.

I have half a bet that the dealer is holding the papers to hold the cash for his own use. The longer he can string you along the longer he gets a free (to him) loan.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It took over a month for my trailer plate to arrive in MI. Bought my TT at the Grand Rapids RV show, took delivery about 3 weeks later, drove home with the paper registration taped in the side window. A month and a half later the metal plate arrived in the mail.

Can't speak to taking a brand new RV on an international adventure, that's well beyond my comfort zone.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

By the way, Ontario also has a temporary tag: Clicky

Don't misconstrue this for something it isn't, which is to buy a vehicle and drive it around as you normally would. This temporary permit is to allow you to buy a car (or whatever) privately, pay the owner, then get this temporary permit so you can then legally take the vehicle to a mechanic for the necessary safety, and in some cases a required emissions test, which are required when you go back to the vehicle license office for the permanent registration and plate(s). Only then is the seller off the hook if something untoward happens later. Some buyers will try to sidestep the process by convincing the seller to just let them take the car but the last time I sold a car about a year ago I insisted the buyer go through the process before I'd hand over the keys and the car.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

Can't speak to taking a brand new RV on an international adventure, that's well beyond my comfort zone.

As a Canadian I don't have a definitive answer either but if it were me I sure wouldn't be traveling to another country without proof of permanent registration in my name and matching plate(s) for the vehicles I'm crossing the border with.

chag67

Montgomery, AL

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess other states do things very differently. I live in Alabama and when I purchased my 2018 5th wheel, I went to the DMV the next day after the purchase. I showed them the dealership paperwork. I was able to walk out of the DMV with a tag that day. The only issue was that the 5th wheel I purchased wasn't in their system. But with the dealership paperwork in hand, it wasn't that difficult. It was just a few more keystrokes by the DMV personnel.

2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago, I bought a couple of vehicles from California dealers. At that time, licensed dealers were agents for the CA DMV, and took care of all the title transfer and registration paperwork, as well as collecting the sales tax.
Perhaps it is different for new, never before registered vehicles, I don't know.
If it were me, I think I would go to the dealer and get the sales manager and the title clerk in the same room and find out what is going on.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Automatic, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chag67 wrote:

I guess other states do things very differently. I live in Alabama and when I purchased my 2018 5th wheel, I went to the DMV the next day after the purchase. I showed them the dealership paperwork. I was able to walk out of the DMV with a tag that day.

Wow, even that's strange to me. Here in Canada, Ontario specifically, if I buy from a dealer he handles all the paperwork including registering the vehicle, whether new or used, so when I take delivery of the car, truck, trailer, whatever, it's all done. Only if I'm buying privately from an individual would I ever go near the vehicle license office but I'd do that before heading to the seller's to pick up the vehicle. Regardless, the end result is the same - when I drive away with my purchase, whether new or used, it's fully registered and licensed.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, I’d be AT the dealer raising he!! No reason for that kind of hold up unless they’re either doing something shady or just don’t give a f.
As far as the border, not saying it’s legit, but I’ve been across with valid paper tags (temp) on a new truck, trailers or campers with incorrect license plates or none at all on the TC (req in WA though) and with a car with no front license plate, several times.
Never a word about any of it. Mostly interested in asking me where I lived and whether I had firearms, 3x in a row!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, yes , bottom line if the paper tags are valid, you’re legal.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/18 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

So, yes , bottom line if the paper tags are valid, you’re legal.

Tell that to the Cdn border agent, in a country where the OP as a US citizen is a guest in our country and is as such subject to Canadian laws, regardless of what may apply in his home state. [emoticon] I can also virtually guarantee that if spotted on a Cdn highway without plates he's going to get pulled over, valid paper tags or not. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS