Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Update:

I called Canadian and US Border Patrols. Both stated that as long as I have my temporary registration and bill of sale, I'm ok. Not having a plate is not a big deal to them.

Then I called Alberta Sheriffs. I spoke to the Deputy Chief. He stated that as long as I have my temporary registration, I'm good. However that's not going to stop a police officer from being suspicious because I have no plate, and then pulling me over. He stated it just may be more hassle than it's worth.

The problem is California is one of the few states that does NOT issue temporary license plates.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

If I buy your vehicle I don't want the registration. I want the title.

Yes here in Ontario you do want the registration, because without it you can't transfer title of the vehicle. The registration has two parts, one for the owner (seller) and one for the buyer, each has to complete respective areas, with the buyer taking his completed portion to the vehicle license office to register the vehicle is his/her name. The seller is obligated only to provide a Used Vehicle Information Package and safety certificate.

Wadcutter wrote:

The title proves who owns the vehicle. The registration proves that the vehicle is registered. 2 completely different legal terms.
Learning the difference and using the correct terms can save a person a lot of trouble.

Vehicle license offices here in Ontario only care about the above, as outlined here.

* This post was edited 06/15/18 12:23pm by an administrator/moderator *

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

Then I called Alberta Sheriffs. I spoke to the Deputy Chief. He stated that as long as I have my temporary registration, I'm good. However that's not going to stop a police officer from being suspicious because I have no plate, and then pulling me over. He stated it just may be more hassle than it's worth.

Just my point. [emoticon]

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Yes here in Ontario you do want the registration, because without it you can't transfer title of the vehicle.

Here's some news for you since you apparently haven't caught it. The OP is not in Ontario. The OP is in California. So whatever you have to do in Ontario doesn't really matter to someone living in CA.

* This post was edited 06/15/18 12:24pm by an administrator/moderator *

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday he didn't even know what a temporary tag existed, today he's an expert on them.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP.... glad you got your problem solved as stated in your initial post.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/18 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

Here's some news for you since you apparently haven't caught it. The OP is not in Ontario. The OP is in California. So whatever you have to do in Ontario doesn't really matter to someone living in CA.

Here’s some more news. The OP was asking about entering CANADA with the RV, so what CA or any other state wants / needs / likes is moot.

Amazing that someone who claims to have law enforcement experience does know that foreign countries have their own laws.........

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Wadcutter wrote:

Here’s some more news. The OP was asking about entering CANADA with the RV, so what CA or any other state wants / needs / likes is moot.

Amazing that someone who claims to have law enforcement experience does know that foreign countries have their own laws.........

Seems like diferent states have many different rules leading to all kinds of confusion..
I bought vehicles in many diferent provinces and its same everywhere.

Paid cash or certified check,,got registration/title from the seller and went to DMV to get plates..
Why would anyone leave with a vehicle or RV without having title in hand is mind blowing..
how long does it take to fill out the paperwork?

If theres lean on it for example why would dealer be allowed to sell it at all?
Call the bank,transfer the money owing,fax the title to the seller and give it to the new buyer..

Sheesh I closed real estate property deals faster then this OP mix up

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 12:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is California (don't get me started). This is one of the few states that does NOT issue temporary plates. And you don't get the title immediately either. The dealer gives you this little piece of paper that's a temporary registration valid for 90 days.

I purchased the trailer on April 10. This $tealer didn't file the paperwork with DMV until May 21. They're probably sitting on the funds (could be a cash flow issue). So I get screwed because California DMV won't do anything for you until 60 days AFTER the dealer turned in his paperwork. Only then will they issue you a new registration and plates, if you haven't received it by then.

My problem is my planned trip (a ton of planning since January) runs through the end of the temporary registration period.

The DMV here is terrible. Appointments are over a month out if you want one. Otherwise you walk in and it's a 1+ hr wait just to talk to the information person up front. Then they issue you a number and you have to wait another 3-6 hrs to be seen. A trip to the DMV is an all day, or multiple day affair here. It's madness.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

The DMV here is terrible. Appointments are over a month out if you want one. Otherwise you walk in and it's a 1+ hr wait just to talk to the information person up front. Then they issue you a number and you have to wait another 3-6 hrs to be seen. A trip to the DMV is an all day, or multiple day affair here. It's madness.

Just a suggestion, we do it up here all the time, find a quiet little DMV office out in the boonies somewhere where the work-load, and therefore wait times, are much less.

Just last month the daughter of a very good friend of mine had to get a road test to close off her graduated drivers licensing process. The office near their home said it would be 6 weeks to get an appointment. She was heartbroken. I called the office near my summer place, they said “Can you be here at 11am tomorrow?”

We drove up, she passed with flying colours, we had a nice lunch on a patio overlooking the lake and her ‘uncle’ is once again her hero. ;-)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS