Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the big issue is The scifty dealer who held onto the title transfer and apparently a state that takes an abhorrently long time to figure stuff out.

However, sure you can go through great lengths to get your plates mailed somewhere so you have them for the remainder of the trip, or just don't worry about it.

First, you have documentation that you OWN the camper. You also now have backup as to why the plates are late. Bring that.
Second, idk if Alberta even issues tags for TCs, so if they don't, then they're likely not looking for them.

Lastly, there are US states that don't license TCs so you could legally be crossing with no plate and no chance of having one IF your camper resided in that state.

Enjoy your vacation, the Mounties won't be hot on your trial, OR "out to get you."

* This post was edited 06/15/18 12:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lexx wrote:

New Update:

I called Canadian and US Border Patrols. Both stated that as long as I have my temporary registration and bill of sale, I'm ok. Not having a plate is not a big deal to them.
Good call! That was my first thought after reading the initial post. Never second guess the border agencies and the regulations. If in doubt, always get it from the horse's mouth...

And if you aren't already, be aware of things that are prohibited crossing the border in either direction (go to their websites for accurate and current info.). And be aware of the HIGH cost of fuel in Canada this year! And more importantly, have fun!

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

moresmoke

On the beach of lake Agassiz

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/18 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully the op has left on his vacation and has everything under control.

The information he was given by calling is correct. I have been in his situation many times. The only hassle I have ever had was returning to the US and the customs lady couldn't read the VIN on the paper through the tinted window it was stuck to. This includes hauling a TT 5000 miles through the US and eastern Canada with nothing more than a paper registration stuck in the kitchen window.

For those of you blessed to live in jurisdictions that have their act together, be assured there are places that do not. In ND they have 6 months to process and send your tags. Currently it takes quite a bit less than that, but a few years ago it was at least that.

Minnesota is currently something like 9 months due to a software upgrade failure. And they don't renew the temporary.

Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/18 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Update: We are now in Alberta! We crossed from MT to Alberta at Coutts today. We had all our papers ready but the border patrol officer only asked us very cursory questions and waved us through! I think having 3 cute 6 yr Olds in the back seat helped lol.

We will visit family and friends, then proceed to Jasper, Banff, and Kootenay National Parks. Then instead of proceeding west all the way to Vancouver, we wil head back to the USA via Okanagan and Osoyoos.

We will then traverse Washington state on Hwy 20. We will spend a couple days in Winthrop and inside the Northern Cascades, before ending up in Bellingham where we will store the trailer.

Then we will head on up to Vancouver to stay with family for 3 weeks. We will then drive back to Bellingham and pick up our trailer for our return trip home.

I figure so long as we cross back into the USA before our temp registration expires, we should be ok.

Btw in the 1500 mi I've driven on the 1st part of this trip, no highway patrol or sheriff has even given us a 2nd look. I've stuck to all posted speed limits and stayed in the proper lane at all times.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Another issue - crossing into Canada with temp registration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS