cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Body Roll - What Have You Done?

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
I just got done installing SumoSprings and Loni shocks in our motorhome. While this has really helped body roll I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to minimize it further? I cannot do the CHF on my year f53.
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.
11 REPLIES 11

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
If you haven't already, replace your sway bar bushings. On my 1999 when I first got it a few years ago, I had pretty bad body roll, or sway. I checked on the bushings and they were deteriorated to the point of basically being gone! Replaced them with poly bushings front and rear, and the majority of sway was gone. Its an hour or so driveway job....not hard at all!

I had the exact same problem with my 1999 Tropical. I was almost blown off the road when trucks would pass. I just replaced the rear sway bar bushings with polys (fronts were fine) and did the CHF front and rear and was good to go! I've heard good reports about rear trac bars for F53's to correct this problem. Here's the least expensive one I've found: https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/UltraTrac-Trac-Bars/UTF53V10R-Rear-Ultratrac-Trac-Bar-Ford-F53-20-22k-GVW-Chassis It's $150 cheaper than the Blue OX trac bar and does the same thing.

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
F4Jock wrote:
wildmanbaker wrote:
Look underneath at the sway bar ends. If their are 2 holes on each end, move the links to the inside holes. Be sure to check for clearance on the rear SB when raised, to see if it will hit the third member. If it does, longer links will be required.

Unfortunately, my frame was manufactured one year too early for that.
Then your only option is to add an after market sway bar. Many times it is in addition to the stock sway bar. If you do not have a rear pan hard bar, getting one will make a large difference in handling. Sumos or Timbrens will also help with side to side rocking as they increase the spring rate, and will resist sway.
Wildmanbaker

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Rear sway bar (they are really anti-sway bars, but everyone calls them sway bars). I just ordered a Hellwig one for my F53. On my last trip (last weekend) I also pumped my airbags up to 70psi and that helped eliminate most of the body roll.

Al

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Bought new Honkooks on ours and after driving raised the air pressure to 110 and way helped the body roll
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
Look underneath at the sway bar ends. If their are 2 holes on each end, move the links to the inside holes. Be sure to check for clearance on the rear SB when raised, to see if it will hit the third member. If it does, longer links will be required.

Unfortunately, my frame was manufactured one year too early for that.
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Wildmanbaker

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BIG front and rear sway bars.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't already, replace your sway bar bushings. On my 1999 when I first got it a few years ago, I had pretty bad body roll, or sway. I checked on the bushings and they were deteriorated to the point of basically being gone! Replaced them with poly bushings front and rear, and the majority of sway was gone. Its an hour or so driveway job....not hard at all!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
We installed after market air bags on our 1999 National Tropical and the ride and handling improved drastically.
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a CHF but the outboard airbags on Prevost, Newell, Fortravel, and Monaco reduces body roll to almost nil. One of the main reason I went with another Monaco when I upgraded recently.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Even the pushers have body roll. Just something to live with.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE