cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rte 160 in Colorado

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Going from ft garland to cortez. With 37 ft mh and 12 ft trailer. Is this a good rte
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
39 REPLIES 39

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Rickwellman! Thats what it looked like on the news, but not always easy to tell.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Oops. Yes I am glad I had the wolf creek pass experience.
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
We are west of it in CORTEZ. LOOKS LIKE IT IS HEADING NORTHEAST.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
We are west of it in CORTEZ. LOOKS LIKE IT IS HEADING NORTHEAST.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Navajo Reservoir a week from now, hope that smoke is done or it will be a rough week for me.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
On the 8th we could see the Durango smoke from Ridgway!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Aren't you glad you went that way?
Great scenery!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
How was the smoke down that way? (forest fire)

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Staying in cortez.

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! Scary about the semi with burning brakes, though. Welcome to smokey Durango!

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Well gentlemen I made it through Wolf Creek Pass. I got behind 2 semis and after the second one had to pull over because his brakes were on fire. I followed the second one down the mountain and I still have brakes.lol

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for all the info. I feel pretty confident about the drive now. We will be crossing wolf pass in the morning. I will let u know how it went.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
160 is not the major connection between I40 and I70 unless that's a new map. It's a hard 2 lane to run between the 2. I 25 and I 35 are the major connectors. It is not that bad, just take it. I drove it in a Tractor Trailer in the good old days hauling meat, grain, livestock feed and potatoes. Gear down to what ever the speed limit says going down Wolf Creek. Stop on top and enjoy the 10000 feet for a bit, drink lots of water and enjoy it.

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
edm3rd wrote:
If you want more practice, try US Hwy 50 between Salida and Gunnison (Monarch Pass).

Monarch is harder than Wolf Creek, because it's narrower and a long climb. Wolf Creek is a shorter climb than La Veta from the east. About 8 miles total, most of which are four lanes. I find I-70 in either direction west of Denver to be a real slog. A very long climb, although with a climbing lane in addition to the travel lanes. In my experience, the descent from the high country back to Denver is grueling. You really need to check your speed and NOT with your brakes as much as possible. Many curves. More daunting than Wolf Creek.