Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2007 Tango rotten floor source discovered; please read !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2007 Tango rotten floor source discovered; please read !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Island Traveler

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 01:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is where the water on top of wheel tub was able to start heading rearward, taking out a good foot and a half of floor under sink and counter so far, all the way to the rear wall but not rotting under tub because its supports made for a good dam. Bone dry under bathtub, thankfully. The end wall 2x3 by bumper is black and still wet. You can see swelling going on under luan until about 6 inches up on outside all the way to right side. Oh nooooooooooooooo.... But the rear bumper is dry as the desert. That's bass ackwards ya know.... More coming soon. Don't be camping in tornadoes, floods, hurricanes or beside volcanoes, by the way! Stay safe, PT.

Island Traveler

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 02:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
This is one piece of lumber that still qualifies as firewood...

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look closely at the areas around wheel wells on any RV you're more likely than not to find numerous areas that are open to water intrusion, and a lot of times you'll find raw wood be it framing on a stick and tin or the substrate layers on a lam trailer, the edges of the subfloor, etc. At best you'll find a halfassed caulk job where a lot is missed or improperly applied. The RV manufacturers follow the out of sight out of mind method of manufacturing.

Island Traveler

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 01:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shots from the 'shroom hunting trip. I hit the jackpot!
[image]

Island Traveler

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let'[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.s try this again...

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 03:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Island traveler- to think all this could have been prevented with a wheel well liner.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is gonna give me nightmares in remembering the grotesque mess I encountered for my rebuild!

Wish I could zoom a bit on the pics for a closer look.

Are you doing this whole repair from the inside?
Or are you pulling off any outside finish, walls etc?
Kinda tough with the one piece wall system.

Somewhere I have a PDF of a Tango unit, exploded view showing construction of it. I wonder if I can find it for you. Buried in an old computer somewhere....

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

Island Traveler

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was a wheel-tub liner, bolted on outer bottom corners (can you spot the rusty bolt that was hanging with just rot holding it up?) It had a curve downwards in its 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick plastic right dead center between the tandems. I had named it Lake Ditchwater... (on-board cistern)... Pity there were no trout swimmin' around in there! That became the catchment pond, so to speak, for the ideal mycelium habitat to start. The thing should have been lapped UNDER the outer skin like a roof shingle, not a gutter with minimal caulking to catch all water running down side of trailer. This was all hiding behind the crappy (I mean pretty) wheel flare decor screwed and cracked at every screw. A poster in another RV forum noticed every Tango, or copy of, at any campground she stayed at had a crack at middle screw, almost across the board. This piece is totally inadequate. A lousy lawn chair would do a better job but would look odd mounted there! Chair PVC is thicker, but how do I cut it up to match a tandem wheel opening?!! Any tips? Seriously, anything near the wheels should be skookum as well as leak-proof. "Water always runs downhill"... said that Newton dude, except when it wicks, of course. This liner must have gotten its shape from being at the bottom of the stack on a hot CA day, stapled and bolted in, then hidden with the pretty molded fascia. Read: sin-hiding house decor... I mean trailer decor... Also, fore and aft of wheels you will find the vapour barrier doubling as mudguard slash rock deflector. No chloroplast in the most vulnerable puncture areas. In actuality, holes here would have let the water drain. I think I will get busy with my awl, all over the bottom every foot or so, letting it breath in there with no chance of showers. It is bone-dry and warm between the frame rails where the corrugated PVC protects the underside. Should just start sleeping there, maybe. Hmmmm... From Soggy Stories, have a good one, PT reporting!

Island Traveler

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use your browser zoom-in to reach your desired size... some of my text got cut off in MS Paint. This was my second ever try at pictures with text; the first is the previous post so bear with me... one picture went AWOL on me as well the text. IMGUR is my test, and I almost had it, hence try no. two! It showed rot 'til half main bed on outer 2x3 heading frontwards. One support cross-2x3 for bed support succeeded in being the dam to stop the water there... I hope! The wood still sounds knock-knock instead of dull-thud, dull-thud and my awl don't poke through in dat dere cross member that is trailer- wide holding up the bed. Can't have beds dropping from travel trailers on the freeway you know! Have a good weekend, y'all ! Drive & camp safe... PT.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Island traveler it's good you can keep your sense of hummor. Looks like I should of said a properly installed wheel well liner.

By this time I probably would have parked it over the campfire to dry it out.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2007 Tango rotten floor source discovered; please read !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS