Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
RustyNewmar

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dear fellow RV'ers, here is a link to the pictures from underneath our brand new Mountain Air. Please note most of these shots were taken by the dealer prior to us taking delivery !

https://imgur.com/a/7InJw

After being invited, we traveled to Georgia to attend the open house at National Indoor RV Center. We meet our future sales person Angie Morrell and were treated to a wonderful time wile viewing many motor coaches. We left Georgia with every confidence in our new dealer.

A short time later we traveled to Texas to view and fall in love with a 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire. We agreed to the sale the last week of 2016 with delivery in late April 2017. After owning, servicing and repairing our four prior Newmar units we felt no need to slither under our new 2017.

We found rust early summer 2017. After confirming rust with Newmar, Newmar blamed the dealer. We contacted NIRVC, intending to explain the factory finger pointing. Much to our surprise,NIRVC quickly informed us of, and e-mailed us dozens of pictures of what would have been deal ending rust !!

Our last E-mail contact with Newmar was on January 2nd 2018, sent directly to Mr Miller- President and Mr. Parks- CEO. The only question contained in this E-mail was "The great saddening deal of rust in the suspension and steering components brings questions of safety, can this coach be driven on public roads at freeway speeds ?". To this date, there has never been an e-mail response.

It is our hope, in making this public, no other RV customers will have to endure this great deal of frustration and stress.

Thank you, Paul & Kim.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/18 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

{ The great saddening deal of rust in the suspension and steering components brings questions of safety }

Your pics did not load so cant see your issues, also you said rust in these areas sounds like the chassis maker is at fault, what chassis does it have..

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like it had been setting at the beach during a storm, or a lot of driving on salted roads. This is a 2017 right.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/18 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure that rig cost about double of what I paid for my house, so I feel for ya.. No reply to your email either... Just another kick in the nuts...

Even my 15 year old Fleetwood does not have that kind of rust on it (in fact, it has no rust under it), and I live in WA state and we get a little wet at times...

Good luck with it and hope you can get the company to work with ya.. If I was prez of that company, I'd be embarrassed putting out that kind of product..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! "> Happy Camping!

sehunter

Rancho Murieta, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/18 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should see them with this.

Clicky

Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2016 Jeep Patriot

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/18 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RustyNewmar wrote:

Dear fellow RV'ers, here is a link to the pictures from underneath our brand new Mountain Air. Please note most of these shots were taken by the dealer prior to us taking delivery !

Thank you, Paul & Kim.

I do not know how much Newmar has to do with how a coach is treated or used after sale. Your pictures show mostly chassis parts that are rusted. It looks like the rust is mostly surface rust, and not a safety issue.
If this were my problem, I would spray the whole chassis with THIS Then keep an eye on it. see more rust, spray it again.

This stuff works well applied with a small garden pump up sprayer.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/18 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RustyNewmar wrote:

After being invited, we traveled to Georgia to attend the open house at National Indoor RV Center. We meet our future sales person Angie Morrell and were treated to a wonderful time wile viewing many motor coaches. We left Georgia with every confidence in our new dealer.

A short time later we traveled to Texas to view and fall in love with a 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire. We agreed to the sale the last week of 2016 with delivery in late April 2017. After owning, servicing and repairing our four prior Newmar units we felt no need to slither under our new 2017.

We found rust early summer 2017. After confirming rust with Newmar, Newmar blamed the dealer. We contacted NIRVC, intending to explain the factory finger pointing. Much to our surprise,NIRVC quickly informed us of, and e-mailed us dozens of pictures of what would have been deal ending rust !!

Our last E-mail contact with Newmar was on January 2nd 2018, sent directly to Mr Miller- President and Mr. Parks- CEO. The only question contained in this E-mail was "The great saddening deal of rust in the suspension and steering components brings questions of safety, can this coach be driven on public roads at freeway speeds ?". To this date, there has never been an e-mail response.

It is our hope, in making this public, no other RV customers will have to endure this great deal of frustration and stress.

Thank you, Paul & Kim.

Am I to gather that your dealer knew about this corrosion prior to selling you the coach? then sold it to you with out informing you.

What am I missing ?

s N s

Michigan / Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 03:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! That's unbelievable. One question I have. Why would you take delivery of something like that if the dealer disclosed it's condition?
Personally, I would have walked away. Ours is an 04 and not to be funny but after being under it to change the oil about a month ago, the only rust I saw was a little on the two front Bilstien shocks. Sorry for your situation and only hope you can get it resolved. Can't really comment on safety to drive as I'm no engineer in that department. Good Luck.

Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

RustyNewmar

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer took pictures prior to delivery but DID NOT disclose this to us. Had we known we never would have taken delivery.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your new coach was built in Elkhart In. but you don't say where you took delivery.

To me this is significant because the coach would have to be driven from the factory to the delivery point. Also of significance is the time of year. Many states use salt, or brine water to remove ice and snow from highways. While auto manufacturers go to great lengths to minimize the damage to cars from salt exposure, RV manufacturers do nothing, probably because RVs are typically driven in the summer more often than the winter.

From the photos, it looks to me like typical corrosion from salt water being splashed up on the chassis while being driven on highways treated with brine water. Having lived on Ohio all my life, I am very familiar with this problem. If there is a chance your new coach was driven during winter months, this is the problem.

Someone above recommended Rust converter

I am not familiar with this product, but plan to order it and try it. Living in Ohio, and being familiar with this type of rust damage on my own RV, I am going to try it to see if it works. You may want to consider this also.

In all too typical fashion, an RV manufacturer and to a greater extent, the dealer refuses to provide any relief for the problem and you are on your own for the solution.

Good luck.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS