Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about all that rust on a new and very expensive coach. I'm sure I would concerned if that was my coach. I would make some phone calls to both Newmar and FCCC (chassis mfg?). Since most of the rust is on the chassis FCCC may be able to answer if it's safe to drive and what could be done to sand/paint what's there already to prevent any more.
Emails are nice for traceability and history of the conversations but I've found that I sometimes get a better response if I make a phone call.

Good luck

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

smlranger

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted the coach was likely delivered to dealer during winter months and got road salt/chemicals on the undercarriage. Dealer should have had the undercarriage pressure washed. Confusing that the dealer took photos (they must have noticed this during their inspection. If so, why didn't they deal with it?).

It doesn't look too bad in the pics but perhaps it is worse now that you have had the coach for some time. Not sure what you expect Newmar to do. I would be all over the dealer for obviously knowing about it and see if they would foot the bill to have it treated.

Once treated with a rust converter, I would spray the underbelly with Fluid Film.

2007 Country Coach Allure 470, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 Super Crew toad. SMI Air Force One braking system. Lucy the rescued lab/springer mix; Dixie rescued beagle mix. Glen Allen, VA

mdanielson55

tyler texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope you don't leave it that way. run it up on ramps or bag it up as high as you can. then get you a 2 gallon sprayer and fill it with baby oil yep baby oil smells good on you and will stop the rusting process. if to thick thin adding alcohol I used it for years and no rust

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have nothing more, or less than a chassis that has been operated in conditions where it was exposed to "brine", which is the anti-icing liquid used by many states in the northern part of the country. Brine is extraordinarily corrosive, and can do this damage in one exposure. The "damage" is cosmetic, prevalent on most newer vehicles exposed to brine treated roads, and is something that many, many RVs experience and pay no attention to. If you want to address the issue, research "Fluid Film". It is made specifically to treat and prevent chassis rust on vehicles. There are customer reports, with pics. on their site, of older vehicles, like Jeep Wranglers, that are operated all winter in northern salt and brine obsessed states. Most of these older untreated vehicles are rot heaps, but using fluid film regularly can keep them looking new underneath.

Good luck, and relax. The coach builder has nothing to so with this, and in our litigation happy country, destroying vehicles with brine, and billions of pounds of salt, is secondary to avoiding lawsuits by texting twits in SUVS. These twits don't do personal responsibility and believe that every road should be clear and provide safe traction 24/7/365, no matter how bad the weather is. Naturally, when they crash, it's somebody else's fault. So the toxic waste (brine and salt) spreading starts well before the weather even hits.

The question of safety and damage to the components underneath would leave any truck mechanic in the north laughing. On a scale of 1-100, with 100 being "sorry, but your frame rotted in half, and the rig is a total loss", you aren't even hitting a one yet. Wire brush whatever bothers you, soak the whole thing in fluid film, and see if you need to reapply the stuff, a year or two from now.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I concur Newmar has an issue. Our coach purchased new last winter we had a similar experience, only less severe because I was under the coach soon after purchase. Clearly it had a sequence of shortcomings.
1- unpainted steel below decks. Newmar did these reinforcements, not FL.
2-undercoat did not cover all the metal below.
3-driven to dealer on salted roads and insufficiently cleaned at the dealer.

Like you, this was not our first Newmar, and a big departure from prior experience. I have read other accounts which seem to indicate that recent ramp up in volumes have challenged their ability to maintain quality.

Unfortunate for them, as they are motivating loyal customers to reconsider other brands.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Texas had lots of floods in that time, maybe the dealer knew of flood and took pics for insurance?.......but somehow forgot to mention it to you?

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb has the solution. Do it now rather than complain. In the end it is your coach and you will have to live with it so do yourself a favor and treat it now.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Soren, and I love the description of "texting twits in SUVs", really made me laugh.

Although there is a lot of rust, it looks very cosmetic. Yeah, I'd be pissed too, but it's nothing that can't be treated.

I would clean it good and try Fluid Film. How did you get the pictures?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You went to Georgia 2 years ago. You then waited and took delivery just over a year ago, on a 2017. So, was this unit ordered? Was it in stock? Did you take delivery of the unit in DFW Texas? The reason I ask is, there must be more to the history of your unit. HOW many miles were on it at delivery? MORE than 1200 miles? 1100 miles is the delivery miles from Newmar to DFW. IF more miles, was this unit in Georgia and then transferred to Texas? ALL OEM's send out notifications in the early fall to make sure dealers remember to thoroughly wash and clean the undercarriages/chassis of units that are shipped in the winter months. THAT IS A DEALER RESPONSIBILITY! Even Towables have the same guidelines unless they are shipped on a trailer. DEALERS are responsible, per the OEM, for failure to do this. IF they take pics BEFORE retail delivery or even when the unit arrives from the factory showing rust, they MUST take this up with the OEM immediately, NOT WAIT until it is sold. I will bet your unit set on the lot OR it was a Dealer transfer from a ocean area dealer. IF the dealer had pics prior to your sale, he just shot himself in the foot. The dealer is now responsible for the problem. Doug

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess you have not seen a new rig being delivered to the south during a winter snow storm...white salt spray all the way up to the windows. Good Luck getting anyone to take responsibility as it’s a delivery issue...it left the factory in good shape and the dealer cleaned it up the best they could.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS