Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

They sell a sprayable rust convertable but I can't find any outside reviews for this stuff. Also, MSDS says not to breath vapors so looks like it will need pro install/application and not DIY homeowner.

This is a latex solution, not liquid U235 or your local vitamins, I gave the owners a bit of common sense, in that they would use to proper protection.
We are not all as stupid as the internet would have us believe.

A tyvek suit from Home Depot and a paint mask with goggles should be all you need, it is like the interior latex paint you use to paint houses. It ain't some thing you like to get on ya.

IT is a good idea to scrub the area, I'd use ZEP"s Purple Industrial cleaner and degreaser, Soak it down then a pressure washer get it as clean as possible prior to coating with rust converter.

Be careful The ZEP industrial cleaner is a very strong cleaner, don't breath the fumes, or get it on ya. But it will cut grease and grime better than anything I've seen before.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in all rust inhibitors and can be bought by the gallon in the paint department of Home Depot. Using a shop cleaning spray gun you can spray the undercarriage (staying upwind) yourself. Driving in a heavy rain is a good way to clean the undercarriage and once dry I would spray the bottom with Fluid Film using the same cleaning gun. You can buy FF by the gallon.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in all rust inhibitors and can be bought by the gallon in the paint department of Home Depot. Using a shop cleaning spray gun you can spray the undercarriage (staying upwind) yourself. Driving in a heavy rain is a good way to clean the undercarriage and once dry I would spray the bottom with Fluid Film using the same cleaning gun. You can buy FF by the gallon.

I'm no chemist, but there is a difference between a rust inhibitors and a rust converter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Rusty 2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Don't let this happen to you
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS