cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charleston, SC where to stay and things to do?

hapiour
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,
Everyone has been so helpful in the past with ideas on where to stay and things to do when I have asked. We would like to go to Charleston, SC and would like to know your thoughts, ideas and places to camp. Thanks again, and GO!
Just the 2 of us!
Looking for something new ??
2014 Keystone Outback Terrain 273TRL (sold)
2013 Nissan Armada SL
2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y (Traded but loved for 7 years!)
2004 Ford Expedition XL (Traded but loved for 8 years!)
Ready to hit the road!!
24 REPLIES 24

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charleston was one of the best cities we have visited. So much history, we really enjoyed the horse drawn carriage tour thru the old town and down to the Battery. If you've seen the movie "The Patriot" the Battery was shown there with all the ships docked. The Old mansion we visited on that same tour was really beautiful and interesting. Got extremely ticked at one on the older ladies working there as she told us about Patrick Swayze riding his horse down the street when filming "The North and the South" and it nearly gave her the "vapors" as he was so handsome! LOL

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
I know they were working on widening 171 (Folly Rd) for some time. I just happened to have some guys down there working and I asked them to check on the status. That intersection at Camp Rd and 171 is much improved and making that right turn there should be a lot easier. I would post a picture here if I could put doing so is a huge pain since you have to upload it to the web.
2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 (on order)
2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CC Cummins/Aisin Laramie Longhorn

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
James Island is first choice. Oak Plantation would be 2nd. Charleston is a great American city and a history lovers dream visit.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Put "The Hunley" on your list of things to go see....!!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
They look low, but lots of RVs and tractor trailers use that route. They keep them cut back to at least 14'. You should be fine, but if you aren't comfortable, find another way around. Our fifth wheel is 13'6".
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
Quick question, for anyone with a big class A or large 5th wheel. I have been going to James Island Park since the early 2000's but I quit taking the Riverland Dr route because those trees scared the heck outa me. The way I have been going in (near the Wal Mart on 171) isn't much better but the trees are smaller. Has anybody driven their coach down Riverland lately and did you have any issues?
2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 (on order)
2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CC Cummins/Aisin Laramie Longhorn

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
James Island County Park is our first choice, then Mt. Pleasant KOA...Tour downtown Charleston, the SC Aquariam, Patriots Point, and Fort Sumpter...If you stay at JICP, head toward Folly Beach and stop at Locklears Seafood for great local seafood.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's excellent reading and also their campground review. They travel(ed) in a 40' motorhome with a dog.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=charleston

Look at the top to click on their other park reviews - with pictures and extensive descriptions across the country.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
Just left Oak Plantation. if booking there please ask for a site in the tree,s if not you will bake. also Traffic is Terrible terrible or worse.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
James Island CP
Oak Plantation.
The KOA near Summerville is a dump.
Eat downtown at Hymans Seafood and for a great sandwich, East Bay Deli, several in the area.
See the normal tourist traps but the Charleston Museum and the Aquarium are great.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
I have only been there 1 time and that was many years ago, but the visit to Patriots point is worth the trip. My Uncle Dave served on the USS Yorktown many years ago during WWII. Going on the submarine was great. never never never would I want to be on one.

On edit -
Many years ago my Uncle Dave, who was a career Navy, at the time he was on the USS Oriskany took me aboard and showed me the carrier. What a time.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy visiting Charleston, but have never stayed there.

So many things to see and do. In addition to those mentioned, Patriot's point, on the Mt. Pleasant side is where tours to Ft Sumpter leave plus is the location of the USS Yorktown, a WWII aircraft carrier open for tours.

Back across the river is the SC Aquarium, not large, but good for an afternoon. Also in town is is the Charleston City Market, The Old Exchange and Provost building, Rainbow Row, and for fans of Gershwin - the original Catfish Row, originally called Cabbage Row. There are many walking and riding tours - info at the visitor's center.

There are a number of museums, several devoted to the history of slavery in the area and some covering the Civil War. One unique museum is the home of the CSS Hunley. The first manned submarine. I've not toured it, but they have on display the actual sub that was recovered in Charleston Harbor.

Charleston is a food lovers mecca. For a taste of low country cooking in a casual down home place try Jestine's Kitchen. Another one of my favorites and the best shrimp and grits I've ever tried is Poogan's Porch. If you venture across the river to visit Ft Sumpter, head of Hwy 17 to try Jack's Cosmic Dogs. Excellent hot dogs and I think they still have real barrel root beer.

Go and enjoy.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
JICP is our favorite park there.

Patriots Point is fantastic if you like WW2 history, we go almost everytime we are there.

Downtown Charleston is great to walk/bike and see the old houses. Folly Beach is fun. Mt Pleasant is great (get breakfast at Pages Okra Grill... amazing!). Lots of great beaches out that way too. We love Sullivans Island beach, I think it's a county park.

Lots of fun stuff down there. I would just wander around if it was my first trip. Lots to see and do and it's all gorgeous!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Plantation Oaks campground. Dock St. Theater. Excellent plays. Battery park, all the area around there. Calhoun Mansion. Stellas greek restauarant, 114 st. phillip st. Middleton Place plantation and gardens.