Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I-95 is the “middle of nowhere”?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> I-95 is the “middle of nowhere”?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday, i called GSRA. I gave my location as I-95, South Carolina, southbound at mile marker 51. I had a flat tire with a good spare. The agent told me this was insufficient information to locate me, as she was in Texas, and did not know where that was, and asked what city I was close to.i replied that I did not know,only that I could see the mile marker. After 2 hours, the agent called me back and said she could not find a provider as I was in the “middle of nowhere” and would I like her to contact the highway patrol, maybe they could help me.

Twenty minutes later the South Carolina state police had a wrecker on the scene. Why am I paying Good Sam, if my best option is to call the state police? The agent seemed to be poorly trained, and, obviously did not have the tools at her disposal to help me.

Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least the agent said she was in Texas, anymore it's likely to be Bangladesh.

Hopefully they are at least picking up the tab, for the service they should have provided.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRinNFla wrote:

I-95, South Carolina, southbound at mile marker 51.

That's an excellent description of your location, it doesn't get much better.
Obviously, the agent did not want to be bothered by looking at a map and doing her job.

cyntdon2010

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile marker AND state is plenty of info. That's what Truckers use daily...

2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a flat tire in the desert halfway between Marathon Texas and Big Bend NP, literally in the middle of nowhere. On a Sunday morning, took 3 and 1/2 hours for repair service to get to me, thanks to Border Patrol, but I considered it great service. The Border Patrol agent radioed my GSRA info to headquarters since there was no cell service and it worked out very well. Guess it all depends on who you talk to.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you told me you were in S.C. on 95 south and at mile marker 51 I'd find you with no problem. It is obvious the GSRA has some uneducated folks in that office. Since OP was at mile marker 51 he was 51 miles from the state line going south.
Okay Good Sam Roadside Assist pass this along to all your dispatchers so that they have a clue:

On one- or two-digit interstates, the numbering always begins at the south state line (for north-south interstates) or the west state line (for east-west interstates). Thus, Mile Marker 1 on I-65 is just north of the Kentucky state line and Mile Marker 261 is near I-65’s northern terminus at I-90 in northwest Indiana. Likewise, Mile Marker 1 on I-70 is just east of the Illinois state line and Mile Marker 156 is just west of the Ohio state line. Mile marker numbers always get larger as you travel north or east on one- or two-digit interstates.

So this would have put the OP 51 mile north of the S.C. and Georgia state line. Somewhere near Brunswick, GA. Daaah!

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had AAA for decades and unless they've changed, they don't understand mile markers. If you only know the last town you passed through, that's where they will send assistance from even if you're just a couple of miles from the next town. Other than city names they also seem to be OK with street or road intersections. Now, at least, most of us have navigation systems and we can look up the nearest town.

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a story that's similar because it shows how modern technology is missing any common sense. In Houston, Texas, DW and I took a cab from the RV park to downtown. When we were ready to return to the RV park, I called the same taxi company. (Note: I do not Uber.) I said that I was standing at the corner of Prairie and Smith Streets in downtown.

The lady said, "What is your address." There was no street address to be seen on any of the buildings, but the street sign read 500 Prairie, so I tried 500 Prairie, 501 Prairie, 502 Prairie, and so on. In every case, she said, "Sorry, that is not a physical address." (Not in her computer.)

I gave up and flagged down a taxi the old fashioned way.

RoadsideGuy

Colorado

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello RRinNFla. I apologize for the issues you encountered, and would like to investigate further with athe goal of correcting so it does not happen again.

If you could please send me a PM with your phone. number, I’d like to discuss with you at your convenience.

Thank you for your post, and the opportunity to improve our service.

Darren J White
Senior Director - Operations
Good Sam Roadside and TravelAssist

2oldman

Farmington NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cyntdon2010 wrote:

Mile marker AND state is plenty of info. That's what Truckers use daily...
coordinates work too - if they ever figure that out. The phone you're texting from should provide that.. or your GPS.

* This post was edited 06/02/18 10:43am by 2oldman *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> I-95 is the “middle of nowhere”?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS