Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Outside camping lights
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Outside camping lights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ricks99

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

If you are the owner of the camper that has these blue lights, your blue lights do not impress me. Instead, they irritate me and wish you would turn them off when you go inside!

I am OK having lights on from my neighbors when everyone is still outside after dark, kids are playing, and things going on. But gosh dang-it, when you go inside, turn the things off!

What did they say when you asked them to turn off the light?

We encountered a similar situation... I asked the owner of a fiver who had more lights than JFK airport, if he would turn off all his outside lights when he turned in for the night. He said "no problem."

Problem fixed.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

The latest trend is the plug that keeps your running lights on all night. I'm not sure I understand why you would want to do that.

gbopp wrote:

At least they don't hook the running lights up to a flasher....

I do ...

[image]

Allows me to turn my running lights on at dusk and leave 'em flashing all night long 'til sunrise. [emoticon]

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

OH NOOOOO! Thats just too much common sense for the forums.

x 2. But...they are afraid of the dark!!!!

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a porch light with a motion sensor built in. When there is nothing going on, it goes out, any movement turns it on. If you like the dark, stay out of my campsite, and it will stay off. Easy. If it comes on, it helps me aim the shotgun.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 dog(?)

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

We were at Quakertown State Recreation Area (Indiana), near Liberty, Indiana. We arrived on a Thursday evening and we were practically, the only camper there. It was so dark at night, you couldn't even see your hand in front of your face. It was marvelous! Friday night the week-enders started coming in and then this happened (photos below). We were parked clear on the other side of the campground and had no neighbors. These lights were so bright, I could easily read a newspaper by this light at my camper.

Next day I made an attempt to look at the camper with the blue lights. Looked like they put aftermarket blue lights across the nose cap of their camper. Yea, from where they sit under the awning, they'd never see the light. But good-grief for the rest of the campground. It was absolute awful. And they left the dang things on all night.

Eventually that white (gosh-dang awful horrible unbelievable, brightest thing I'd ever seen in ANY campground) light was finally turned off. But that blue one.... bright as a search light on the top of a light house, never went off.

Yea, I was horribly disappointed, especially after the marvelous dark the night before:

[image]

[image]

If you are the owner of the camper that has these blue lights, your blue lights do not impress me. Instead, they irritate me and wish you would turn them off when you go inside!

I am OK having lights on from my neighbors when everyone is still outside after dark, kids are playing, and things going on. But gosh dang-it, when you go inside, turn the things off!

Being the 'take the bull by the horns' person I am, I would have waited until about 3 am and went over and turned them off myself, on a permanent basis. Why I always camp disbursed or in a pull off / turn out. I basically don't like inconsiderate idiots.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey SoundGuy..How about a view of the inside of that box. Regardless if anyone likes it or not, the flashing lights are a great way to let an emergency vehicle know where to go if they are called out at night. I have used just a flasher (and the EMT thanked me) but the box is a cleaner setup. Share please.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of adults seem to be afraid of the dark. I toured a campground this past week that had a street light above every electric pedestal, and extra flood lights shining at every corner in the road.

I asked the office clerk why so many lights. He claimed as it was a township owned campground they were over cautious about safety. *Sigh* they lost my business right there.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

doxiemom11

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/18 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Full time in our 8th year and don't understand what everyone is so afraid of. There hasn't been 1 night that we have left a light on and 0 nights that there has ever been a bright light on, and nothing has ever happened in the night. We must be camping in the wrong places.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with you on bright lights being left on all night, whether getting some to comply even after asking them nicely is a whole other thing. People are different and as long as it is not disallowed where they happen to be RVing there is not much one can do. Unfortunately, it's impossible to make everyone happy, there is always someone who wants you to camp exactly as they do, which is not going to happen as often as one would like. I guess that is one of the reasons we prefer boondocking and dry camping where there is much more space between us and any neighbors if they happen to be nearby.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Hey SoundGuy..How about a view of the inside of that box. Regardless if anyone likes it or not, the flashing lights are a great way to let an emergency vehicle know where to go if they are called out at night. I have used just a flasher (and the EMT thanked me) but the box is a cleaner setup. Share please.

Actually I use mine every time I back on to my driveway from the street - makes the trailer a lot more visible flashing ALL the lights on the trailer rather than just the tail lights via the truck's 4-way flasher.

[image]

[image]

For a "cleaner setup" I later duplicated this circuitry in my tongue mounted fresh water transfer pump box - just hit the switch and the running lights turn on fully or flash.

[image]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Outside camping lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS