cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Louise Trailer Campground - Electric Hookups

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I plan to go to Lake Louise around Aug 1st for a week. There are a number of electrical hookups -- NO WATER sites available to reserve.

Is there a dump/fill station at the campground so we can dump and fill?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
16 REPLIES 16

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a few days at Lake Louise.

Didn't find the train noise that bad. Maybe I just got used to it.

There was a female Grizzly and 2 cubs in the area so some of the walking paths are closed and they are being real strict about the "bare campsite" rules. Nothing that has ever touch food can be left outside.
I see that they closed one side of a nearby lake from access as a bear trampled a tent (no one in it at the time).

Plus it is a bit hard to get away from the crowds. Have to be at Moraine by ~6am to get a parking spot and Lake Louise filled by 8:30 am. Even after a 3.4km hike uphill to the teahouse, the place was packed and the wait about 45 mins.

The ski hill wasn't so bad and saw a grizzly on the slopes.

They have three slots for dumping so there was no issue with that.

Have to say, I preferred Banff.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
I always thought that if all warning labels were removed from everything ,that in about 2 years the only people left alive .... deserved to be.

Actually, the warning labels are simply there to protect the companies from lawsuits as they generally state the obvious. If you haven't got enough sense to do what the labels say without reading the labels, you are likely to do stupid stuff anyway.

My favorite joke told to me by a Texan. He indicated that the most common last words in Texas are... "Hey, watch me do this!"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on Peter Lougheed -- in any other country, that would be a national park, not a provincial park.

And although we really liked the Lake Louise area for hiking, the train noise at that campground was a killer -- our earplugs were not nearly adequate, and mine are designed for pistol ranges.

So we pulled up stakes and moved to Yoho, not too far away, and "commuted" to Lake Louise for the hiking.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Rotaxxx
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck getting a site at Lake Louise, I tried to book a site there over two months ago for the same week and its booked solid. I thought tho I may get lucky and some one will cancel but no luck so far...

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
Kavvoom and other AMERICANS. just fyi - bear spray from US is NOT legal in Canada.

Actually, I researched it and it is allowed. You have to claim it and show it if they ask but you can bring it. I did last year when I went to Alberta and no problem. You CANNOT bring in human mace however. So, don't bury it in your vehicle or TT somewhere.

It has to be a dedicated product explicitly stating it is for animals and not humans.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.pdf

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Kavvoom and other AMERICANS. just fyi - bear spray from US is NOT legal in Canada.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Montana and hiking, I have three layers of defense...from the bears, no protecting yourself from the tourists. I have a waist pack with two drink holders. In one, on my right so I can reach it quick is a small boathorn and next to it is bear spray. They fit perfect. Those are my first two layers.

Friends turned me on to the boathorn. Interested bears or mountain lions (those who don't run right off and seem curious) or Moose you might stumble across will usually scoot fast from the boat horn. If they come too close, you are already in trouble but bear spray supposedly worksover 95% of the time. Finally, is the GP100 357. I don't always carry it. But, I am not sure if I would use it on myself or the bear come to think of it. My significant other chooses to count on the fact that she can outrun me as her primary defense.

Every other year, I practice with the can of bear spray I've been carrying for two years and then put the new one in the pack. Always aim at the bears belly. They shoot high and do your best to be upwind from the spray although I wouldn't let that get in the way. A little capcasin (sic) is better than a whole lot of bear. I've pulled the boathorn out twice never used it (one bear, one moose) and never had a need to go to the second or third levels of defense. I've seen fresh cat tracks and bear tracks in mud (fresh enough that the water had ye to fill them). So, it is a real thing up here. Makes life interesting.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of my story about the woman from New York at the South Entrance to Yellowstone trying to fill the viewfinder of her Instamatic with a bull moose by walking up to it. But I have told it enough on this forum that I won't repeat it!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought that if all warning labels were removed from everything ,that in about 2 years the only people left alive .... deserved to be.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Ran into the same group of tourists in Yellowstone a couple weeks ago... the Bear they were taking pictures of was about 15 ft from my wifeโ€™s window in the truck. Cars and tour busses parked all over the road and ditch... then the tourists started moving closer and closer to Mr Bear. One guy got between my truck and the bear so he was even closer to the Bear than 15 ft. Then 6 or 7 more of his travel companions came up and stood beside him.... wife rolled down the window and asked if they thought it was a good idea to get that close to a bear who was obviously hungry as he was ripping a log apart.... no answer, she asked again... nope not a one of them spoke English.
That was enough for me.... I laid on the horn and off Mr. Bear took off into the bush. This tousiest by my truck were pissed as were the other 50 or so that has stopped on the road and weโ€™re slowing walking towards Mr. Bear.
I donโ€™t think anyone that was standing outside of their vehicles had any idea what could happen to them in a split second....
Growing up in bear country ( had a Griz behind our house 4 weeks ago) I know what Bears are like in the spring after a long sleep and being hungry ta boot. I may have gotten some bad words said to me in a few languages that I didnโ€™t understand and a few special waves.... but every body got dinner that night, and hopefully Mr. Bear came back after dark and got into that log to get what ever was in it.
Kavoom.....Them tourists are everywhere...

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Listen, IF and I mean IF you can get a site, try Peter Lougheed Provincial park Boulton Creek, where you will have water and power and one of the most beautiful parks in N. America. You can take that back road into Canmore that is fun and the scenery down there is as good as anything in Glacier. AND you will likely see some Grizzlies. Banff Lake Louise area is beautiful except for the mass quantities of people. Peter Lougheed is a hidden gem and the Albertans will probably be mad at me for talking about it. There is also a private park down that way that isn't bad either for full hook-up and a bit closer.

My favorite "scary" experience. Going to one of those lakes up there in May and watching a couple of busloads of tourists from a different part of the world walk out on the melting ice shelf and start jumping up and down...in unison. Little waves moved out into the lake... I was wondering what they hoped would happen and wondered if anyone was extrapolating outcomes? The laws of physics are immutable. I mean like a hundred people out there. I remember me and this Texan standing there looking at each other with wide eyes and me saying somebody is going to die. I tried to talk to someone and they didn't understand me and took a picture of me in my USMC boonie. Really... The facilities were not open yet so no Rangers and no signal so we jumped in the truck and fortunately ran into a LEO a few miles down the road. I told him and his face got white and he jumped in his car and took off like a bat out of heck... Well, I never read any stories in the press about it so, I guess it worked out... To be honest, all of U.S. and Canadians were standing there holding our collective breath and praying... Everybody else was having a good ole time...

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
And remember.... itโ€™s a busy area.... reservation would be advisable....
Plus bring ear plugs...
Soup.

Soup ?????

The CPR main line across Canada is really close to your bed time pillow.... hence the ear plugs...
Nice campground thou...
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
Plus bring ear plugs...
Soup.

Soup ?????

Ear plugs for the train, if you're not used to the noise of heavy freight rolling through several times a night. The engineers are very generous with the horn, I think they enjoy how it echoes in the canyon.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
SideHillSoup wrote:
Plus bring ear plugs...
Soup.

Soup ?????
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos