Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lake Louise Trailer Campground - Electric Hookups
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Lake Louise Trailer Campground - Electric Hookups

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living in Montana and hiking, I have three layers of defense...from the bears, no protecting yourself from the tourists. I have a waist pack with two drink holders. In one, on my right so I can reach it quick is a small boathorn and next to it is bear spray. They fit perfect. Those are my first two layers.

Friends turned me on to the boathorn. Interested bears or mountain lions (those who don't run right off and seem curious) or Moose you might stumble across will usually scoot fast from the boat horn. If they come too close, you are already in trouble but bear spray supposedly worksover 95% of the time. Finally, is the GP100 357. I don't always carry it. But, I am not sure if I would use it on myself or the bear come to think of it. My significant other chooses to count on the fact that she can outrun me as her primary defense.

Every other year, I practice with the can of bear spray I've been carrying for two years and then put the new one in the pack. Always aim at the bears belly. They shoot high and do your best to be upwind from the spray although I wouldn't let that get in the way. A little capcasin (sic) is better than a whole lot of bear. I've pulled the boathorn out twice never used it (one bear, one moose) and never had a need to go to the second or third levels of defense. I've seen fresh cat tracks and bear tracks in mud (fresh enough that the water had ye to fill them). So, it is a real thing up here. Makes life interesting.

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/18 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kavvoom and other AMERICANS. just fyi - bear spray from US is NOT legal in Canada.

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Kavoom

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruiserjs wrote:

Kavvoom and other AMERICANS. just fyi - bear spray from US is NOT legal in Canada.

Actually, I researched it and it is allowed. You have to claim it and show it if they ask but you can bring it. I did last year when I went to Alberta and no problem. You CANNOT bring in human mace however. So, don't bury it in your vehicle or TT somewhere.

It has to be a dedicated product explicitly stating it is for animals and not humans.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.pdf

Rotaxxx

Oil country Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/18 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck getting a site at Lake Louise, I tried to book a site there over two months ago for the same week and its booked solid. I thought tho I may get lucky and some one will cancel but no luck so far...

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/18 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on Peter Lougheed -- in any other country, that would be a national park, not a provincial park.

And although we really liked the Lake Louise area for hiking, the train noise at that campground was a killer -- our earplugs were not nearly adequate, and mine are designed for pistol ranges.

So we pulled up stakes and moved to Yoho, not too far away, and "commuted" to Lake Louise for the hiking.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Lake Louise Trailer Campground - Electric Hookups
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS