Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Temperature Monitor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Temperature Monitor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
charming

Myrtle Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a two month trip to the southwest with our two rescued greyhounds. We leave out the first of September. I am in a panic over losing power in our motor home. We bought a surge protector that is pretty good at resetting the power, but I don't trust that it will work in every instance.

I started looking for products to send us an alert if the temperature starts going up in the motor home. So far the only product that looks like it will work best is the Temp Stick.

Anyone have experience with it or can recommend other products? I want something that does not rely on electricity.

Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the temp stik exclusively. The only thing to make sure of is a reliable internet connection. We use a mifi with Verizon. Not only do we use it in the fiver we take it with us on trips in our truck if the dogs go with us. That way we can monitor the inside temp to make sure the a/c is doing its job.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out sensor push products, I only use the sensors via Bluetooth function to monitor fridge temps and outdoor temp on my phone but they sell a router that the sensors will connect to and you can get the temps remotely of course there has to be WiFi availability for any of these to work remotely, I am satisfied with the sensors and the os app for iPhones easy to pair and very accurate and you can calibrate them if needed.
Mike

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggest you read reviews on Amazon about the Temp Stick.

It appears it has the same issues that my Ring Doorbell products have.

That is disconnects from your WIFI for no apparent reason and can not be reconnected remotely.

I have used Sensaphone systems for over 10 years with no problems. I monitor my summer and winter homes. All that is required is a telephone connection and I am currently using the Verizon home connect for 5 plus years with no problems.

I have had problems described above with the Verison MIFI.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

That is disconnects from your WIFI for no apparent reason and can not be reconnected remotely.

I have used Sensaphone systems for over 10 years with no problems. I monitor my summer and winter homes. All that is required is a telephone connection and I am currently using the Verizon home connect for 5 plus years with no problems.

I have been using the temp stik for quite a while with no issues. Most of the time when folks have had problems with connection it was due to the mifi going to sleep. I went into jetpak settings and set it up to never sleep, no problem with lost connection.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

RCMAN46 wrote:

I have been using the temp stik for quite a while with no issues. Most of the time when folks have had problems with connection it was due to the mifi going to sleep. I went
into jetpak settings and set it up to never sleep, no problem with lost connection.

The MIFI I was using was set up not to sleep. But after 3 months the unit went off line. Verizon verified that will happen regardless of the settings.

TragedyTrousers

Fl

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking of getting a Generator Auto Start system for our MH. You might look into that too. Its called a Cummins Onan Energy Command. If you lose shore power your Generator will automatically start and keep the AC going.

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/onan/energycom30w.html

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

RCMAN46 wrote:

I have been using the temp stik for quite a while with no issues. Most of the time when folks have had problems with connection it was due to the mifi going to sleep. I went
into jetpak settings and set it up to never sleep, no problem with lost connection.

The MIFI I was using was set up not to sleep. But after 3 months the unit went off line. Verizon verified that will happen regardless of the settings.

I guess it must be in the technology or something since that happened to you. Ours is going on 3 or 4 years and we have never had that problem. When we are home I keep ours in the house monitoring just like I do when we had the motor home and now the fifth wheel. When the batteries get low I replace them. I keep it set on one hour when at home but have it monitoring every 15 mins when we travel. I can now understand your feelings towards it.
Safe travels.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

RCMAN46 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

RCMAN46 wrote:

I guess it must be in the technology or something since that happened to you. Ours is going on 3 or 4 years and we have never had that problem. When we are home I keep ours in the house monitoring just like I do when we had the motor home and now the fifth wheel. When the batteries get low I replace them. I keep it set on one hour when at home but have it monitoring every 15 mins when we travel. I can now understand your feelings towards it.
Safe travels.

I was talking about 3 months of continuous use without cycling power to the MIFI.

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VIDEO ON HOW IT WORKS IN RVI have the MarCell Temperature Alert It works all the time for power outages and temperature alerts. I don't have to worry about a lost internet connection.

* This post was edited 06/14/18 02:17pm by Happytraveler *

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> Temperature Monitor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS