Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Just got a Hybrid, new to Black/Grey Water tanks, questions.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just got a Hybrid, new to Black/Grey Water tanks, questions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. We normally just use gallon jugs for our drinking water when we were in our pop-up, just to be extra safe, we will probably continue to do this.

I am lucky that I have a cleanout just a few feet from my driveway.

Flagstaff 176LTD

JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

For starters, This

And This

Thank you!

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One tool you might want to invest in is the Flush King. It has a clear elbow that allows you to see when the tanks are done emptying and also a hose connection valve combination that will allow you to back fill and rinse out the tanks.

Flush King

Also the order that you dump your tanks helps. Dump your black tank first and then your gray tank. This uses the gray water to rinse out your sewer hose. The flush king also can help here if needed.

Water is your friend when it comes to the black tank. ALWAYS use a full bowl of water when flushing solids and before you use tank put about 5 gallons on water in first. ONLY human waste an toilet paper should go down the tank. No feminine hygiene products.

One thing I do after dumping and getting ready to tow is to put my 5 gallons of water and a capful of laundry soap with some Calgon water softner in the black tank. I then tow the trailer. This will help in cleaning out the tank. By doing this I have not had to use those tank treatments and have no oder.

Good luck and enjoy your new RV! It won't be long and you will be a pro!

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus three cocker spaniels

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May I just add that RV toilot paper is a proven myth. Not helpful just costly. Also IMHO black tank additives to reduce smell are also not needed. If you smell toilot there is a seal compromise somewhere. A flush kit is a great accessory. Flush black first. Gray will rinse. Do not trust guages. They lie like politicians. We have had our Bantam for sixteen years. Treated us pretty well. Owners book not required. Most RV's are about the same. PM me is you have specific troubles

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

May I just add that RV toilot paper is a proven myth. Not helpful just costly. Also IMHO black tank additives to reduce smell are also not needed. If you smell toilot there is a seal compromise somewhere. A flush kit is a great accessory. Flush black first. Gray will rinse. Do not trust guages. They lie like politicians. We have had our Bantam for sixteen years. Treated us pretty well. Owners book not required. Most RV's are about the same. PM me is you have specific troubles

X2. RV toilet paper is not needed. We use the same stuff we use at home, and not a problem in 30+ years of RVing.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

catkins

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will do fine! Here is what has worked for us for 20 years:

Add water to the black tank if you need more in the tank to prior to dumping. Should be at least 2/3 full. Dump black first then grey which rinses the hose. Use Septic safe TP - we place moist in a trash can and dump that paper daily.

ALWAYS put some water _2-4 gallons) into the black tank before storing. Keeps any residual solids from becoming hardened in place. I also never leave the grey open, some do, as food particles need to pulled out with lots of water when dumping too, Use and enjoy your adventures!

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the boat world, I had a great rule for keeping black water systems running:

"Please only put things you have eaten first down the toilet"

I don't even allow toilet paper to go down. It goes in a wastebasket.

This is the least fun fix on any recreational platform so I don't take chances. Ha ha ha

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to find lots of YouTube videos on tank procedures.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoshuaH wrote:

We normally just use gallon jugs for our drinking water when we were in our pop-up, just to be extra safe, we will probably continue to do this.

As did we back in our popup days but now that we have a travel trailer I bring any water we ingest from home in a 4 gal Aquatainer which is designed specifically for potable water. While traveling it sits on the shower pan, while camping I park it on the campsite picnic table ... much easier than slugging around multiple 1 gal jugs.

[image]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

JoshuaH wrote:

We normally just use gallon jugs for our drinking water when we were in our pop-up, just to be extra safe, we will probably continue to do this.

As did we back in our popup days but now that we have a travel trailer I bring any water we ingest from home in a 4 gal Aquatainer which is designed specifically for potable water. While traveling it sits on the shower pan, while camping I park it on the campsite picnic table ... much easier than slugging around multiple 1 gal jugs.

[image]

Very good idea, thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just got a Hybrid, new to Black/Grey Water tanks, questions.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS