Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Sway on a gasser
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Sway on a gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, my first class A. Moved from a fifth wheel, towed by a dually. Wife does not like the sway/rocking we are getting. I've been on line checking options and have four solutions. Which would you do first? or open to your ideas.

Safe-T-Plus
Spring kit(?)
Koni - shocks
Helwig Rear Sway Bar

Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ozzy & Dobby

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

now-2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4 corner air bags with a dash control to inflate or deflate worked for my Workhorse chassis. I do have Koni FRS shocks.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start by getting the rig weighed. Best to try a scale so as to get each corner.
Look at make and model of tires. Adjust air pressure per tire manufacturer's inflation chart.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try the Cheat Handling Fix first. Then a rear pan hard bar, or track bar as most call it. If the swaying is still a problem, try either Sumos or Timbrens to increase the spring rate. Air bags can be used, but some of them can be damaged if you have to raise a tire off the ground.

Wildmanbaker

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hold her wide and let her eat. You will get use to it if tire pressures are right

Dennis Hoppert

EdInArk

Little Rock, AR

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the rig is on a Ford F53 chassis check out ***Link Removed***

I did this right away then added a Blue Ox Tiger Track track bar a little later. Our rig is quite easy to drive now.

Edit:
OK. New here. It removed the link. But just Google "Cheap Handling Fix." It will vastly improve he swaying and rocking. The track bar virtually eliminated the tail wagging in the wind.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Correct tire pressure per your weights and tire manufacture weight and pressure charts plus 5#. If you can't weigh right now set to the minimum PSI per the manufactures sticker that should be locatd behind the drivers seat. Then CHF. Both are free and simple to DIY.

Then add an auxiliary rear sway bar. I used Hellwig from sdtrucksprings.com You can DIY depending on your comfort level and ability. Read the online instructions and check for videos. You need about 300# torque on the spring u-bolts.

In my case I changed the front sway bar to a Hellwig after the CHF as I just wasn't happy with it. Adding Sumo Springs in the next few weeks. I did a S-T-P blue awhile ago and not real impressed.

Unless you are getting a lot of tail wag and pushing around when being passed a track bar is likely not going to do anything.

Mine is a 2016 F53, 22000# chassis.

* This post was edited 06/03/18 08:33pm by RedRollingRoadblock *

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 03:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the middle of the same thing, as I just bought my first Class A gasser a few weeks back. Correct tire pressure and air bag pressure helped. It had been pulling to the right and the shop found the steering stabilizer was binding. They removed that (it was aftermarket) and it now tracks straight. So I'm ordering a new stabilizer this week to tighten up the steering. Next will be a Helwig rear sway bar. My shocks are new Bilsteins, so I'm good there.

Just a comment - I'm coming to the conclusion based on info from this website, my shop, and the mechanical engineer that works for me (he does accident reconstruction and truck files) that most gas class A's have a high center of gravity and a long overhang after the rear axle, and as such will never handle like a diesel pusher or even a box truck. We can only minimize it and make it livable. I have noticed that on the highway the closer in speed I'm going to the trucks, the less "push" I get from them.

Al

EdInArk

Little Rock, AR

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the front end alignment checked as well. Ours was towed out and felt twitchy.

But the swaying and rocking mentioned in the first post can be greatly alleviated for free with the Cheap Handling Fix if you've got the tools and a couple of hours to do it. I did the front and rear in my driveway.

PCronin68

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the cheap fix on my 2014 F53 chassis and then added trac bar to the rear and steering stabilizer to front. Seems good but as previously mentioned it wont prevent everything

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Sway on a gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS