cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well, here's one I've never seen before!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen lots of double tows, but this one beat them all. Watch this YouTube video to the end and see the surprise!

(or should this be called "tripple tow"???)

Click here.
22 REPLIES 22

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
I guess the moral of the video is that the Dodge Ram's really can tow almost anything---a fifth wheel, a trailer and another pickup all at the same time. Sweet. But, then, those of us that already own a Ram already knew that. We don't need a video to show us what we know.

You don't need to rub it in ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
F-TROUP wrote:
I can see no need for it if the trailer behind it is loaded properly, expensive over kill.

NOT TRUE...

There's no way that the frame of the RV can handle that much tongue weight from the transporter. Using the tow dolly takes the stress off of the 5er and reduces the porpoising of the rig.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Good looking double tow.
The dollys were popular back in the '50s and 60s when pickup trucks were pretty rare outside of work vehicles/farms and ranches. My uncle towed a TT and 16" glass fishin boat with a dolly behind his '72 F150 in the late '60s/early '70s.
Later pickups became more popular so the dolly became less popular.

We just came off a 2860 miles vacation in TX/NM/AZ/UT and the SW corner of CO. We saw lots of doubles (no dolly) in the Moab area on 191 just like the youtube.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

soren
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
In MS last year I saw a car pulling a car with a tow bar and that car was pulling a dolly with a car on it. The back two cars were damaged in the front. The middle one had the hitch welded to the frame where the bumper was torn off. Two sets (six cars) 65 MPH down the road. No plates on the middle car.

That was probably a road train heading for the Mexican border, for import. It's common to see the front bumper removed, and replaced with a rigid tow bar. I would assume that the axles are also removed on FWDs. they stuff the vehicles with any marketable used goods that will fit. I recently saw a large flatbed pulling a road train of two minivans. The flatbed had eight foot of a class 8 truck frame with a full diesel drivetrain bolted to it, and everything from a garden tiller, to a child size, battery powered, ride on Jeep, piled high. I have seen them as far north as New England. They do follow the rules on doubles in states that don't allow it. Seeing a convoy of cars and vans, each pulling a similar sized vehicle, heading for Mexico, is pretty common up north.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Pitch is also known as Porpoising!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha, never had that problem.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I like the idea and was going to make one for my 56 sedan delivery to tow my race car and trailer. That is until I saw what a 56 Chevy frame look like!

One thing I liked about the idea is it gives you a stable ride and it cuts down on a ton of pitch problems double tow has.

I've been double towing since 2007 approximately 4,500 miles a year and I've never heard the term "pitch problems" what am I missing?

Maybe not much if you have a heavy duty truck with stiff suspension. A lot of people call it porpoising. Here is what pitch problems look like.

The dollies help in all situations but they really help where you have a vehicle with very soft suspension. That is why they were very popular back in the days when a lot of station wagons were pulling trailers.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I like the idea and was going to make one for my 56 sedan delivery to tow my race car and trailer. That is until I saw what a 56 Chevy frame look like!

One thing I liked about the idea is it gives you a stable ride and it cuts down on a ton of pitch problems double tow has.

I've been double towing since 2007 approximately 4,500 miles a year and I've never heard the term "pitch problems" what am I missing?

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
This is a really good way to handle the stresses of double towing. Copied from the dollies commercial drivers use hooking up a set of doubles or in some states triples. Removes the tongue weight stress and places that weight on the dolly.

I have typically seen these used with stacker trailers that have huge tongue weight. Saw one a few weeks ago that had an air bag assisted hitch system. I have considered one for the MH and cargo trailer but I can't justify the price.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah! Well said grass hopper!

The intent was the tow dolly as the actual 2nd towed item, the car carrier as the 3rd towed item. But, you are so right.

There's a LOT more going on in that video that meets the eye upon first glance!

Amazing comments! Everyone!

This isn't the first time I have seen a video on this type of tow dolly. So for me it was not something "I've never seen before". Would I use this type of tow dolly? no! I am not into triple towing.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
... The title fits so many possibilities.

Ah! Well said grass hopper!

The intent was the tow dolly as the actual 2nd towed item, the car carrier as the 3rd towed item. But, you are so right.

There's a LOT more going on in that video that meets the eye upon first glance!

Amazing comments! Everyone!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL!
Looking at that 2nd gen it a pre 98 12valve!
It is also SRW meaning that it is a 2500, talk about towing beast!

I, of course, realized the title of this thread was not about the Ram's abilities (or the fact that a Toy motor was on a trailer) but about the stuff towed. However, I could not contain myself especially when the title says "Well, here's one I've never seen before". The title fits so many possibilities.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Saw something similar in an RV park a few years ago except the car trailer had a beautifully restored early '60s Pontiac convertible. And hitched directly to the 5er with no extra wheels. Pulled by a Ford 7.3 SRW in Colorado mountains.