Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Windows 10... From an Apple Guy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10... From an Apple Guy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Windows 10 Laptop on the cheap last week from Unclaimed Baggage. I am super impressed with this OS. My 2011 MacBook Pro runs High Sierra and this Windows OS feels much more fresh and easy to use. My MacBook Pro is fast so I am not talking about speed.

I forgot how nice it is to have a 10 key pad on my notebook. What are these ports on the side? Yep, VGA, HDMI, 4 USB ports!!! NO DONGLES NEEDED!!! NICE!

Has anyone else found Windows 10 to be really good?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

based on my buddies' experience with Win 10 i'm dreading the day when i have to migrate there from win 7. for certain i'll be getting the 3rd party overlay to make Win 10 look lke Win 7.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/18 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

based on my buddies' experience with Win 10 i'm dreading the day when i have to migrate there from win 7. for certain i'll be getting the 3rd party overlay to make Win 10 look lke Win 7.

Hmm... that's interesting. I have found no problems. Its very nice being able to add "tiles" to the start menu for quick access. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. Give it a try if you can. (a real test drive) before you write it off.

I did make the task bar icons smaller so I could fit more. Overall, its a great experience.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/18 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

I bought a Windows 10 Laptop on the cheap last week from Unclaimed Baggage. I am super impressed with this OS. My 2011 MacBook Pro runs High Sierra and this Windows OS feels much more fresh and easy to use. My MacBook Pro is fast so I am not talking about speed.

I forgot how nice it is to have a 10 key pad on my notebook. What are these ports on the side? Yep, VGA, HDMI, 4 USB ports!!! NO DONGLES NEEDED!!! NICE!

Has anyone else found Windows 10 to be really good?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

That's why I left Apple. They give you the least hardware for twice the price. Same thing with their phones. There was a time when they we're worth it, but that time is long past. I do have both Window's and Apple computers. The Apple's don't last any longer, at least not for me, so I stopped shelling out the big bucks for them.

Retired Anesthetist. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS .Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey. Thorp T18, tons of tools and tons of junk.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To my taste the tiled interface is a negative, but on the whole it's still NT under the hood, so I'm OK with it. It's been reliable, which is job one for an OS.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Windows 10 is just fine. I’ve been using PC’s since the IBM PC first came out. You can make the user interface look a lot like 7, and once you figure out where they put things it turns out to be the best OS Microsoft ever put out. But it is still Windows with continuous updates, some of which break things that worked, and you still need 3rd party software to keep it running properly. I’ve moved everything I can to iPads and iPhones and only use my laptop for taxes as the current crop of online tax software doesn’t cut it.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its been fine for me and my family and I have no problems with it. Some folks just dont like change of any type.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still running Win 7. I see no reason to go to win 10.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with wildtoad, the updates are a pain in the behind. Updates are really just a sly way of making everything MS as graphically and proprietary as Apple.

If we didn't write it don't try to use it on our machine.

Microsoft, Apple and Hewlett/Packard all three are same in that way.

I'm use to W10 now and it ain't so bad, except for updates.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have just recently acquired a new computer running on Windows 10. Previous computer was Win 7. I found no real issue in going to Win 10. It is actually quite intuitive and I really like it. No problem here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10... From an Apple Guy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS