Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Windows 10... From an Apple Guy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10... From an Apple Guy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
JayGee

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only problem I have with 10 is with a USB connected external disk. It will not boot up unless I unplug the USB, even after modifying the bios. Other than that I am pretty happy with it. Using "Text maker" for word processing etc saves a few bucks.

Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm getting sick of Windows, but it mat be the cheapo Asus laptop I'm running. I can't right click on a file without locking up file explorer. I googled the issue but can't get any of the 'fixes' to work.

Now mind you I'm an old Windows guy, having written device drivers since Win 3.0 and code for the XP/Win 7 volume manager. But, just like cars (which I used to be able to work on as well), Windows has hidden most of the canolis.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Microsoft, Apple and Hewlett/Packard all three are same in that way.

I have not tried this recently (all 5 of the PC that I "support" are running Windows 7) but here is one of the best things I did to make my computer run better.

• Obtain a "retail" distribution of your current version of Windows (years ago you could find this on the web
  • Write down the Product ID (on older computers this was a label stuck on the back, but over time, they become worn and you can not read them)
  • Backup all of the data you want to keep, usually this is just C:\Users\your_name
  • Backup any drivers. This is usually in C:\HP or C:\Hewlett-Packard or C:\SWSetup
  • nstall windows from the retail distribution (that you have made into a CD). Be sure to tell the installation procedure to re-partition your C: drive so you can recover those "odd" partitions that HP places there.

Make sure to use your old Product ID. It may give you an error but just use the "alternative method" to register your product.

You might need to install the HP specific drivers. You will have to go through Windows Updates and let it download and install all of the patches. This will take a few hours.

It is a lot of work but it is worth it !

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I'm getting sick of Windows, but it mat be the cheapo Asus laptop I'm running. I can't right click on a file without locking up file explorer. I googled the issue but can't get any of the 'fixes' to work.

Now mind you I'm an old Windows guy, having written device drivers since Win 3.0 and code for the XP/Win 7 volume manager. But, just like cars (which I used to be able to work on as well), Windows has hidden most of the canolis.

I understand. Something is up with your computer. I have got to the point in my experience with computers...if the processor isn’t at least an i5 Intel I do not even give the computer a second look. This computer runs on 4 GB of Ram and is only using about 75% of the Ram at max. Most of the time it’s running on 1.5-2 GB Ram.

We bought my son an AMD Windows 10 laptop with 500 GB hd and about 4gb of Ram but that stupid AMD processor would max out and make the machine crawl. I could look at the task manager and the Ram was at 50% but the processor was maxed out!

I think I’m on the way out of the walled garden. I really like this software.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

“Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always liked Win 10 and I was an early adopter. However, most folks don't like to talk about it because those who don't like change or have never actually tried it tend to Flame the poster for saying good things and are treated like pariah.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I have always liked Win 10 and I was an early adopter. However, most folks don't like to talk about it because those who don't like change or have never actually tried it tend to Flame the poster for saying good things and are treated like pariah.

So tell me what am I missing ?

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/18 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a MacBook Pro running High Sierra and a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10. The MacBook is my daily use machine and the Lenovo runs a database application to track points for a drag racing organization. Both machines run well and I don't really have any problems with them. I do find the Windows updates to be a pain as they delay the shutdown and startup almost every time I need to use the Lenovo. Seems like Win10 has gotten fairly stable. No frequent BSOD episodes like in the early days of Windows. I don't like the Win10 UI, but that is just personal preference. I could probably get the UI to be more to my liking, but just don't want to invest the time.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy

crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Windows 10 on two desktops, and it runs fine. If you prefer the Windows 7 interface as we do, load "Classic Shell". It's a free program, works great.

Irover

Where ever the Good Lord Wills

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/18 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest peeve with W/10 is the bi-annual Win 10 Creators Upgrades. Like me if you don't have wired Internet or Broadband it can take up to 5 hours to upgrade. Also all the Bugs that have to be ironed out with updates in between the Upgrades! Android is easier! But we all have preferences; like Chevy vs. Ford and Chrysler! LOL!

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A year ago, my newer Win 10 laptop and my new Chromebook were both very speedy. The Chromebook still is. I realize the Chromebook has many limitations, but for what most of us do, it is fast.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Windows 10... From an Apple Guy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS