cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Campers & Newer Trucks

standdup
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a 2011 Ram 3500 long box with the Cummins. I know that newer trucks like mine have a tapered box, unlike the older trucks which were pretty much straight.

My question is: In what year did the manufacturers start making their campers narrower to fit the newer trucks? I have been looking at some older Bigfoots and Northern Lites online and they are a long way away from me here in Alaska so I can't just drive there to measure them. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
16 REPLIES 16

GHCreekside
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 Northern Lite just barely squeezes into my 2006 Dodge 3500 bed. If there was any less room it wouldn't fit. I bought it from a guy who tried to put it in a new Chevy but it wouldn't fit. I also had to raise it off the bed about two inches to clear the top of the cab.
2006 Dodge 3500 QCLB SRW 4x4 5.9 Cummins
2002 Bigfoot 1500FS

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... I did not realize that the newer truck clearance was so reduced. Now it all make sense why my 76 TC was so darn tight in the back of my 2017 Ram. Loading was a nightmare, so I bought and installed a Stable Lift to make it a little easier. Learn something new everyday.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Bed opening for our 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW is 59 1/2โ€ near the top of the stakepocket and 58โ€ at deck level. Our 2013 AF 996 has about 3/4โ€ clearance per side, so I keep my speed down when loading, ;).

Imgur link

2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
in mid year 2015 Ram changed the bed in the duallys to give more strength to the body.
See how the opening is tapered towards the bottom of opening
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
standdup wrote:
Thanks for the info guys! I think I will just focus on campers that are newer than 1995 or so. Sounds like I'll be safe that way.

Again, my camper is 2005 and the truck is 2010. Clearance is about 1/4 inch!

standdup
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info guys! I think I will just focus on campers that are newer than 1995 or so. Sounds like I'll be safe that way.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you did not realize I was only joking. I would not want to tackle either and with minimal clearance I can still load the camper. I use a laser to help and I load the camper about an 1" away from the bump out. Then I physically push the camper back so it sits evenly between the wheel wells. I use a board between the camper and the wheel well so it cannot shift into the tailgate frame. It is a big PITA that I do as infrequently as possible. In fact the first time I loaded it, I left the camper on the truck for the next 4 years. Since then I have been removing it at the end of each camping season. I will need to load it in another month before I take off for the Summer and Fall months. I will allow at least an hour. Once I was lucky and backed up perfectly. I thought the laser was magic but unfortunately perfection only happened that one time.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Well youโ€™re talking to a guy who has done two of them, so I donโ€™t think, I know.
Go look at your truck and tell me if you can cut it so you have 2 1/2 more inches of tailgate opening width on one side. Itโ€™s literally next to impossible, and Iโ€™m a car building guy who has turned hardtop โ€˜50s Cadillacs into convertibles that look factory no matter where you look.
Cutting the truck instead isnโ€™t a realistic option unless the truck is junk and you donโ€™t care how much you hack it. Itโ€™s not just sone sheet metal inside the box that would have to go.
If I were going to do it, Iโ€™d pie-cut the bed floor and un-taper it, adding in a 5โ€ pie slice from a donor bed floor, then redrill or otherwise modify the bed mounting bolt areas. Then Iโ€™d cut two tailgates and weld together one 5โ€ wider version, or just make a custom 5th-wheel style gate.

The interference area is usually the bathroom. Sometimes thereโ€™s enough room to โ€œclearanceโ€ it without disturbing anything inside.
On my current one, youโ€™re right the shower wall was right up against the kickout area. Some careful slicing and fiberglassing gave me the two inches I needed.

The other thing you CAN do, although it will look funky, is just swap an earlier model square-body bed onto the truck. In the late 50s and early 60s some pickups came from the factory with mismatched beds, because they wanted to get on the โ€œfleetsideโ€ bandwagon but didnโ€™t have their own tooling yet.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
And what do you think is behind the wood?

For my camper, the aluminum skin would have to go. Then structural wood. Behind that is the cassette toilet and then the shower floor and wall. Where is this couple of inches supposed to come from?

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Often there is enough space behind the camper kickout to cut it down a little and get it just slim enough to fit. Itโ€™s onjy a matter of a couple inches, and itโ€™s just wood.

Cutting the truck would mean cutting the tailgate opening wider.
Youโ€™d be cutting nto the tail lights and the gate wouldnโ€™t fit back on.
It absolutely would not be easier, unless you didnโ€™t care about the truck at all and werenโ€™t ever going to use it without the camper. And it would look terrible.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:

Sometimes you can just slice it there and narrow it a coupe inches and make it fit.
In my case the fiberglass shower enclosure was right up against that area and I had to section it and re-fiberglass it to make it fit.

Anything fits anything if you want it to.

I think it would be easier to cut the truck than to try to rebuild the side of the camper.

In any case I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 and a 2005 Northstar Iglo. If the camper is centered on the truck bed, I have a bit less than 1/4" clearance. That makes loading a nightmare.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Generally, 1988 is the year the campers started being made to fit the narrower tailgates.
1988 (not 2007) is the year Chevy went to the narrower tailgate and stopped making the old โ€œsquare bodyโ€, although the crew cab and Suburban kept the square body through โ€˜91.
Dodge kept their square body until โ€˜94.
Ford kept the square body until โ€˜98.
Before that all full size American tailgates were 65 inches wide.
Theyโ€™re now down to about 60.

Space between the wheelwwls isnโ€™t the issue, thatโ€™s still four feet.
Many campers have a little โ€œkick outโ€ that uses the space inside the truck box behind the wheel well.
Thatโ€™s where the interference is.

Sometimes you can just slice it there and narrow it a coupe inches and make it fit.
In my case the fiberglass shower enclosure was right up against that area and I had to section it and re-fiberglass it to make it fit.

Anything fits anything if you want it to.

standdup
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a SRW and the width at the tailgate is right at 60". I believe the older trucks had a width of 65". I'm trying to figure out when the RV manufacturers changed their units to match that smaller width. Thanks

Dave

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy narrowed their tailgate in 2007. My 2003 Fleetwood camper had a protrusion on the driver side at the back that was hard to deal with on the newer truck. I had to load the camper offset hard to the passenger wheel well to get the protrusion to clear the tailgate opening.