Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck Campers Ain't For Everyone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Campers Ain't For Everyone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talking about buying on impulse?
But how much off MSRP the 9-days used cost?

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I estimate buyer lost about $1k/day.

I didn't ask the price of the camper; too big for me.

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/18 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like something I've done....I had a new Subaru Outback in 2016. I kept it 5 weeks and sold it. I put just over 900 miles on it.
There was nothing wrong with it, I just decided I wasn't ready for car payments again.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV sakesmen like to gloss over the hauling and towing part. I put a truck camper on a one ton truck and it felt like going to sea in the wind. It leaned on turns. I never added air bags and sold it after a couple of years.

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Not nearly as bad as the 1 yr old $500k Class A MH you see for sale.

The minute they drive off the lot, they lost more than this guy paid for both the truck and camper.

I would bet that a significant number of cases like that involve a motorhome owner who is relieved to be free of a lemon, no matter how much of a financial beating they are taking. I have met several owners of new, high end fifth wheels and motorhomes who were, or had been, wasting months of their lives at dealers and factory service centers, while attempts are made to repair, replace and rebuild major issues on their RVs. After a year of that, it's not unheard of to dump the thing at a giant loss, and even give up on the RV scene entirely.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Sounds like something I've done....I had a new Subaru Outback in 2016. I kept it 5 weeks and sold it. I put just over 900 miles on it.
There was nothing wrong with it, I just decided I wasn't ready for car payments again.

Hard to argue with no payments. [emoticon]

Back when I was young, poor and didn't mind being up to my ears in hock, I bought a brand new 1974 Yamaha 360 Enduro motorcycle. I was happy with it for about 2 months until my buddy shows up with a new Bultaco 350 Alpina. It was about 100 lbs lighter than my Yamaha and would climb just about anything you cared to put in front of it. I think I lost about 50% of what I paid for the Yamaha when I traded it in after only 2-3 months.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kicked the tires on a used Artic Fox 1150 camper at a dealership. Was ready to pull the trigger but I wanted to load it on my 99 F350 Dually to see how it drove. They wouldn't go for it (not sure I would blame them) and so I walked out. Bought my Bigfoot camper a few weeks later and have been happy ever since.

Frankly I don't think I would want to be a camper dealer. The vast majority of people that might walk on the lot don't have the type of truck necessary to haul today's huge campers without at least a few modifications. You would always be running the risk of an unhappy customer who demanded they purchase something their truck was incapable of hauling and then two weeks later come back with buyer's remorse and expecting the dealer make them happy.

On the flip side, I do wonder why modern campers are so heavy to begin with. Sure, there are lots of little pieces that all add up but with today's advances in materials and 3d printing, one would think campers would be getting lighter compared to models from a decade or two ago. Even my fiberglass Bigfoot really doesn't have much of a weight advantage that I would have expected out of it.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would put more money on the wife not liking the lack of space than not enough truck, but what if it was because they didn't have enough truck?

Wouldn't that lend credence to the so-called "weight police" and what I've been trying to say for years? You don't know how you're going to like a rig until you drive off the lot, and by then it's too late to change your mind. To trade it back in, you lose thousands, and very few of us can afford that.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My basement is bigger than the cabovers of some of the older campers, the camper has more amenities than my home and I have stayed in smaller hotel rooms. I knew the weight I was going to carry was going to be significant which is why I bought my chassis cab. There was no way I was going to replace my existing truck for a truck that was borderline or overweight for its intended purpose.

When I bought my F250, I planned on towing a bumper toy hauler that might have up to a 2000 lb tongue weight. I was not considering buying a truck camper or fifth wheel, so I configured the the truck for maximum payload and towing in its class knowing I had reserve if I wanted a bigger toy hauler. At the time, I was constrained to a 20' length SRW truck due to parking which also factored in to my choice. Upgrading from the toy hauler, I knew I was going to be using the truck at its limits and researched the truck from top to bottom to find out what my real limits were and what was causing those limits - I don't think many people do this prior to their purchase which causes the remorse. The previous camper was heavier than published and I was closer to my limits, so it did require $3k in upgraded components to give me sufficient capacity reserve. I never regretted my purchase and was happy with the result because I was prepared for these changes.

It's easy with hindsight to know where you should made different decisions and much harder to have foresight on where you have not yet been. I try to prepare for I know and be flexible enough to change course when those prior preparations are not enough.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/18 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah! The joy of owning a 1 ton dully! Options! Options! Options! And none will be wrong! [emoticon]

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Campers Ain't For Everyone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS