Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck Campers Ain't For Everyone
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Campers Ain't For Everyone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

....On the flip side, I do wonder why modern campers are so heavy to begin with. Sure, there are lots of little pieces that all add up but with today's advances in materials and 3d printing, one would think campers would be getting lighter compared to models from a decade or two ago. Even my fiberglass Bigfoot really doesn't have much of a weight advantage that I would have expected out of it.

Oh, I dunno.....modern campers CAN be lighter. Take, for example, Outfitter and Hallmark and others.

Some people buy a huge heavy camper and the required huge heavy dually to haul it. It's not my style but to each their own.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Mary Kitchen Roast Beef Hash
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Library Books
Wave 3 Heater

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The lightest slide in I have found are the Adventurer models under 8 feet but still weigh in at about 4,000 pounds without gear..Ad in 500 or so pounds and it is clearly over most all 3500 SRW payloads and alot of dually payloads.

People who have never hauled a truck camper or ridden with someone who has one are shocked by the sway in cornering.Even with the mods it isn't like driving around empty..The new basement truck campers are taller yet adding to the sway the height creates.

Lance only has the 850 in a non slide for a long bed because everyone wants the room the slide provides.Those of us that prefer the non slide and non basement truck campers for the mountains, where height can be your enemy,are in the minority because few people take there $40 campers in those kind of areas.

So I can clearly see why someone new to TC camping would freak out at the corner sway and cash out as soon as they could..I always suggest someone new to it atleast ride around or drive someone elses TC to see how it acts..

Ford F-350 Dually /Lance 9.6/Happi Jacks all around.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

The lightest slide in I have found are the Adventurer models under 8 feet but still weigh in at about 4,000 pounds without gear..Ad in 500 or so pounds and it is clearly over most all 3500 SRW payloads and alot of dually payloads.

According to their website, the heaviest Adventurer model (a double slide) is 4100 lbs dry so I'm not sure where you're getting your info. The lightest one is well under 2000 lbs.

I don't know if that includes any required option packages like some manufacturers do but I do know the numbers they show for their Eagle Cap models are about where they should be based upon our older model EC950. It's low to mid 3's dry but decently optioned.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going off of Adventurer buyers guide by Truck Camper Magazine which I believe is more accurate..This is the lightest 8' w/slide that I know of but without popular options.

Quote:

*Adventurer 86SBS: dry weight, 2,977 pounds + 38 gallons fresh, 316.9 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 2x 20-pound full propane tanks, 40 pounds + 2x batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 4,013.9 pounds

It already has 500 pounds of stuff but no AC etc.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/18 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I was going off of Adventurer buyers guide by Truck Camper Magazine which I believe is more accurate..This is the lightest 8' w/slide that I know of but without popular options.

Quote:

*Adventurer 86SBS: dry weight, 2,977 pounds + 38 gallons fresh, 316.9 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 2x 20-pound full propane tanks, 40 pounds + 2x batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 4,013.9 pounds

It already has 500 pounds of stuff but no AC etc.

Ok, when you said, “the lightest slide in” I took that to simply mean a truck camper as they are called slide in truck campers by some. A truck camper with a slide is different and I agree you’re talking 4K lbs with one, assuming the fresh water and propane tanks are full and you have 2 batteries. We rarely, if ever fill our 46 gal fresh full and only have 1 grp 29 battery. That probably helps to offset the other options we do have. We’ve scaled it many times and it comes in around 4100 lbs, give or take.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soren wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Not nearly as bad as the 1 yr old $500k Class A MH you see for sale.

The minute they drive off the lot, they lost more than this guy paid for both the truck and camper.

I would bet that a significant number of cases like that involve a motorhome owner who is relieved to be free of a lemon, no matter how much of a financial beating they are taking. I have met several owners of new, high end fifth wheels and motorhomes who were, or had been, wasting months of their lives at dealers and factory service centers, while attempts are made to repair, replace and rebuild major issues on their RVs. After a year of that, it's not unheard of to dump the thing at a giant loss, and even give up on the RV scene entirely.

My experience with talking to people who bought 1-2yr old units, the original buyer dreamed of cruising the open road for years but never camped in their life...then they found out it's not what they thought.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Talking about buying on impulse?
But how much off MSRP the 9-days used cost?

....do "truck campers" have to be registered and titled in the state where that 9 day purchase was made ?

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

Quote:

Talking about buying on impulse?
But how much off MSRP the 9-days used cost?

....do "truck campers" have to be registered and titled in the state where that 9 day purchase was made ?

I don't think so.

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only few states require TC registration and none on West Coast.
That is why my first tough was that whole advertisement is simply publicity stunt.
Not knowing the actual pricing it is speculation, but new TC sell 30% off retail pricing, so on $50k camper you can expect $15k discount.
OP indicated that the "used" camper is advertised with $9k discount.
You do the math.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Only few states require TC registration and none on West Coast.

Idaho isn't on the coast but they do require it after a certain year.I bought mine in Montana and they have something a little different.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Campers Ain't For Everyone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS