Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Pilot/Flying J
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Pilot/Flying J

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

Senior Member

Joined: 10/07/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that not all PFJ stations are corporate owned. One quick way to tell is if they sell PFJ diesel, but SOB gasoline, then it's a privately owned station that contracts with PFJ for fuel and branding. They don't all accept the PFJ/GS discount.


Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate


swphotobug

varous

New Member

Joined: 11/22/2014

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On their website and in their app you can request displaying only Pilot/Flying J that have RV fuel lanes and RV Parking. A new Pilot was built E of Tucson, best one we have ever been to for the RV lanes. We found another new Pilot up near Carlsbad NM that also had great RV islands. We have started to use them almost exclusively now if we are traveling the interstates.

Remember, the truckers are their business, not the RVers. The truckers are required to be off the road a certain number of hours per day. We don;t have that requirement. We have plenty of other places we can park.
For me, a truck stop is way to noisy to park at. Trucks going in and out, idling etc.

RTCastillo

Fontana, CA

Full Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Keep in mind that not all PFJ stations are corporate owned. One quick way to tell is if they sell PFJ diesel, but SOB gasoline, then it's a privately owned station that contracts with PFJ for fuel and branding. They don't all accept the PFJ/GS discount.


Not about you but customers like us doesn't distinguish. And just like when we call Good Sam, Camping World Service Center and their ancillary services, we just think of them as one and gets frustrated when their response is to make an excuse that they are not a dealer branch, it's not part of the warranty, or we should have taken the extended service plan, etc. etc. etc.

RTCastillo

Fontana, CA

Full Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swphotobug wrote:

On their website and in their app you can request displaying only Pilot/Flying J that have RV fuel lanes and RV Parking. A new Pilot was built E of Tucson, best one we have ever been to for the RV lanes. We found another new Pilot up near Carlsbad NM that also had great RV islands. We have started to use them almost exclusively now if we are traveling the interstates.

Remember, the truckers are their business, not the RVers. The truckers are required to be off the road a certain number of hours per day. We don;t have that requirement. We have plenty of other places we can park.
For me, a truck stop is way to noisy to park at. Trucks going in and out, idling etc.


So far, as new RVer, I've seen so far Pilot/Flying J's in CA, NV, Arizona and Utah,

And my observation is that an RV friendly site is more an exception than the rule. And these are the ones with exclusive RV gas lane and dedicated RV parking.

Businesswise and strategic planning which is my skills set, there are lost opportunities in revenues for providing these ancillary facilities for RVers.

And obviously, I'm just here to give them free advice -- for my own self interest, lol.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

Senior Member

Joined: 05/15/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stay in them once, maybe twice a year but never knew they had "facilities" for RVs? Some of them have dump stations, but by no means all.

As for fuel savings, if I'm not staying there, I don't fill up there. They charge high prices because the trucks don't want to leave the main highway or if it's a large fleet carrier, they get discounts that the RVer will never see. With Gas Buddy I can always find a place to fuel my 60'+ rig for at least $0.20 if not closer to $0.30 per gallon cheaper.

Bill


Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.


path1

Varies with weather

Senior Member

Joined: 04/19/2012

View Profile



Posted: 06/05/18 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I quit using them when management was found guilty of cheating customers. Lots of info online.

RTCastillo

Fontana, CA

Full Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

I quit using them when management was found guilty of cheating customers. Lots of info online.


Wow, that's news to me.

RTCastillo

Fontana, CA

Full Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

I stay in them once, maybe twice a year but never knew they had "facilities" for RVs? Some of them have dump stations, but by no means all.

As for fuel savings, if I'm not staying there, I don't fill up there. They charge high prices because the trucks don't want to leave the main highway or if it's a large fleet carrier, they get discounts that the RVer will never see. With Gas Buddy I can always find a place to fuel my 60'+ rig for at least $0.20 if not closer to $0.30 per gallon cheaper.

Bill


I've not used Gas buddy.

I've used Pilot even before my RVing and found them to be the cheapest gas between SF and LA where I commute very often. Well, that and their capuccino.

I was hoping that with their Camping World partnership, they'll at least be RV friendly too with complete facilities for our unique need.

chris3403

Jeffersonville, In

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appears I quoted the wrong post.

RTCastillo

Fontana, CA

Full Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/05/18 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chris3403 wrote:

Appears I quoted the wrong post.


Didn't see your first post. Did you delete it? Lol, I bet it did not harm to anyone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

 > Pilot/Flying J
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS