Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Pilot/Flying J
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Pilot/Flying J

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
goreds2

OH H ..... EYE OH !

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why Overnight RV Parking At Truck Stops Is A Bad Idea

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it is a bad idea cause the Truckers don't like it.
This is why I prefer Flying J's.. Dedicated RV parking. I'm not taking up truck parking .

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't necessarily agree with the premise of the article. First, the sentiment "we can't pull those big commercial rigs over just anywhere" ignores the fact that many RV's are nearly the same size and far less maneuverable than those commercial rigs. We can't pull over just anywhere either. I can't remember the last time I was able to pull into an Interstate rest area after 8 pm because trucks are not just parked in the marked spots, but the off-ramp, on-ramp, and any space they can stop including the traffic lanes sometimes.

That being said, I realize that we usually have other options that aren't available to commercial trucks. I try to be respectful and certainly try to observe business owners rules and preferences. If the lot says commercial vehicles only, I respect that. If spaces are reserved as they are in many truck stops now, I obviously respect that.

As for the idea that an RV driver is camping just because they pulled off to get some sleep is ridiculous. They are no more camping than the truck driver in the sleeper cab. I wouldn't put out the slide if it's not absolutely necessary and I've always tried to maintain as low a profile as possible. Some bedroom slides make it so you can't get int the bed unless its at least partially out, but even then I would only slide out the minimum amount needed to get into bed.

I'm not even sure how to address the absolute lunacy of the statement: "A truck stop isn’t a place to camp or a place to slide out your slideouts unless you want to lose them. I’ve known “drivers” who actually get a thrill from ripping off the sides of slides….The trucker who pulled in beside you was sending you a message and you would have been wise to roll it up and move on.” I don't care where I'm parked as long as it's legal, any trucker that hits me while I'm legally parked better have REALLY good insurance and, if there's even a shred of evidence to support that it was intentional, alternate career plans when they get out of jail. I'm no fan of the sue happy state of our society, but this is one case I'd be willing to make.

Finally, I'm sick and tired of the notion that its just about being frugal or stingy or not wanting to spend money on a campground. While I don't deny there are some people who "camp" at Walmart or truck stops to avoid campground fees, I believe most people are not altogether unlike the truck drivers. While we may not have legal mandates to follow and log, we do need to be able to get off the road and sleep when necessary to avoid sleep deprived driving. I go to a campground to camp but I don't go to a campground at midnight to get a few hours sleep before hitting the road again. The logistics, disruption, and delays just don't make sense.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of those "Big Rigs" the cab is nicer than many RV's inside..

But that said. I've only had a "Problem" one time staying overnight at a truck stop and that was not with truckers. IT was with Meteorologists.

They said "low tonight +19" Weather delivered -6

And that was a problem.

WOuld not have mattered if I"d been in a licensed campground however. -6 would STILL be a problem.

One thing I will say.. My RV has 3 slides. I do have to put out at lest one. So IF I have to "Share" truck parking I try to choose a spot where that extra width is not going to get in the way. For example along the edge of the lot so the slide extends over grass instead of pavement.

Or as I said before. at a Flying-J (most of em at least) in Dedicated RV parking, ONly one time have I not been able to find a vacant Dedicated RV spot at a "J".. That was Halloween last. I parked along the edge of the lot.. Between two semis also likewise parked.. Had dinner, Breakfast Church (All Saints Day, Halloween means day before All Saints Day, Also All Saint's Parish) and back on the road again.

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

happy2rv wrote:

I'm not even sure how to address the absolute lunacy of the statement: "A truck stop isn’t a place to camp or a place to slide out your slideouts unless you want to lose them. I’ve known “drivers” who actually get a thrill from ripping off the sides of slides….The trucker who pulled in beside you was sending you a message and you would have been wise to roll it up and move on.” I don't care where I'm parked as long as it's legal, any trucker that hits me while I'm legally parked better have REALLY good insurance and, if there's even a shred of evidence to support that it was intentional,

Yea, that's a classic case of a "writer" pulling stories out of, well lets be polite and say his hat. My son is the safety director of a large construction and trucking company. Standard protocol for any accident is. You immediately shut down and call it in. You stay with the rig until a company official can get to you. You are driven to an approved location for a drug test. Refuse the test, lose your CDL. Fail the test, lose your CDL. At that point the company man reviews your history, and the accident, and if it is investigated by local LEOs, discusses the situation with the investigators. IF, you are squeaky clean, drug free, and an asset to the company, you can take a hit or two on your record, if you screwed up and are at fault in an accident. If not, you are fired. Your driving record is critical, and most legitimate firms will need to see your entire CDL and company history before hiring you in a new gig. Bottom line, 99.99999% of all drivers in a big rig would avoid intentionally doing damage to anything, anywhere, as it's a great way to make it your last day on the job, and make it much harder to find a new one.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even with the loyalty card discount, you can usually find the same price or cheaper fuel down the street at an independent station. I like them because I know I can get my rig in and out without doing a waltz maneuvering around other vehicles and obstacles. And nice restrooms that do not look like a haz-mat site (must partially extend a slide on our rig to use the toilet). Those are worth a few cents per gallon to me.

Now, if the regular passenger cars would stop using the RV lanes, and then going to eat lunch inside while parked at the pump with me waiting behind...

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RTCastillo wrote:

So far, as new RVer, I've seen so far Pilot/Flying J's in CA, NV, Arizona and Utah,

And my observation is that an RV friendly site is more an exception than the rule. And these are the ones with exclusive RV gas lane and dedicated RV parking.

Businesswise and strategic planning which is my skills set, there are lost opportunities in revenues for providing these ancillary facilities for RVers.

And obviously, I'm just here to give them free advice -- for my own self interest, lol.

My thought is that there would be enormous value in having a brand name associated with easy fueling, clean bathrooms, food and snack selection and rest parking for RVs. If you knew every store of a certain brand would be hassle free, you’d stop there as often as possible. Even putting a little “RV Friendly” logo on their signs for stores that were designed for RVs would create loyalty.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

My thought is that there would be enormous value in having a brand name associated with easy fueling, clean bathrooms, food and snack selection and rest parking for RVs. If you knew every store of a certain brand would be hassle free, you’d stop there as often as possible. Even putting a little “RV Friendly” logo on their signs for stores that were designed for RVs would create loyalty.

Before the merger with Pilot, Flying J was significantly investing in just this path and marketing. I haven't kept up in recent years to see how they are faring since the merger. We sold our motorhome many years ago and just bought the travel trailer last year. There still aren't enough Flying J's along my usual routes of travel so I can't really say if they are still really pursuing it. I will say that they are still the only brand I've seen that has made a real attempt at catering to us.

They do have a page on the Pilot/Flying J web site dedicated to RV services, https://pilotflyingj.com/rv-services/. On this page, they have a couple of references. First a travel guide which is a PDF of a brochure that looks like it might be or have been available in print form. This travel guide lists their locations, by state and interstate exit number, with RV parking, RV fuel lanes, dump stations, and propane. The brochure appears to be dated 2014 though. They also have an excel spread sheet with RV locations and services. If my excel filtering is correct, it looks like between Pilot and Flying J, as of the time of publishing the spread sheet, they had:
  • 153 locations with dedicated RV Parking
  • 187 locations with dedicated RV lanes
  • 190 locations with dump stations
  • 210 locations with propane

For the record, I'm not in any way affiliated with Pilot or Flying J, but I do appreciate businesses that offer services that make our life easier.

* This post was edited 06/10/18 06:16pm by happy2rv *

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

I stay in them once, maybe twice a year but never knew they had "facilities" for RVs? Some of them have dump stations, but by no means all.

As for fuel savings, if I'm not staying there, I don't fill up there. They charge high prices because the trucks don't want to leave the main highway or if it's a large fleet carrier, they get discounts that the RVer will never see. With Gas Buddy I can always find a place to fuel my 60'+ rig for at least $0.20 if not closer to $0.30 per gallon cheaper.

Bill

Absolutely correct, 6 years as an Owner Operator class 8 truck, drive diesel P/U since 1999. Gas Buddy's your friend.

2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
2000 F250 7.3 longbed airbags sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT, Layton 24.5LT sold

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/18 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double down on Gas Buddy.

One of hte problems with this thread is that it is Pilot/Flying-J

And as I said Pilot's for the most do NOT have RV parking.. and not long term that I have ever found (Meaning overnight)

J's do. With a few exceptions. Dedicated RV spots.. I just wish the truckers would leave 'em for RV's.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Pilot/Flying J
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS