cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Don't Be Surprised Dept (US Mex Trade Spat)...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Border crossing...

Insistence on checking fresh and frozen foods. Renewed "vigor" when entering Mexico.

Also worth noting, that the prohibition of bringing a desktop PC into Mexico is nation-wide. So far it has been vigorously enforced only at Baja California POE's,

But the ban is federal. Total length of international borders.

The aduaneros point out a brand new PC can be imported if it is less than a month old if the original store printed receipt is presented. The entire machine, including monitor, speakers, and printer will be taxed at 25% rate then a factura de SAT issued.

Even crossing with a valid factura out-of-sight-out-of-mind is the best policy.
4 REPLIES 4

Talleyho69
Supposedly Nogales is the easiest and most reasonable.....

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke to a Mexican who just imported a 2010 Corola. It had lots of body damage. He paid $3500 duty. Any time I have paid it is simply the Global rate of 16%. You need to find another crossing!

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I gotta go back to Garita # 2 and argue with the rate table that I paid from. Desktops are not subject to lower rates it seems Moishe. The aduanero in the Aduana parking talked to the guy inside the office where the paperwork is done to pay at Banjercito. He showed me table and rates and it is indeed 24.7% import duty. I did get a factura listing brand, model, serial number for the tower, the monitor, and wireless track ball. The rate meaning percent was considerably less for the auto parts I got my son-in-law. The car import tax at Garita 2 is 100%. Meaning a four thousand dollar auto needs to have four thousand dollars duty paid in order for paperwork to proceed at ANAPROMEX importation as a FRONTERA vehicle.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I do not think it is 25%. With today's import rules ( probably will be gone due to Trump) if you arrive in a vehicle the duty is ZERO. But you pay the Iva. Even if the item is from China. As long as you bought it in the USA or Canada the low rate applies. It is called a Global rate. I am not sure of the maximum you can bring in under those rules but it is at least $2000. You do get a Franquicia of $300.If you are over whatever that limit allows a broker is required and you pay duty and IVA. Most anything can be imported. But of course there are many items that are prohibited: commercial merchandise ( like a case of t shirts), industrial items, etc. You need receipts and a list . Should be in Spanish. If you are going this route do not go through the traffic light. There will be a parking area before the actual crossing. Or you could play Russian Roulette with the traffic lights and just truck on through hoping for a Green. If it is Red there can be many results. Maybe the Aduanero will allow you to pay the Iva. Maybe he will tell you that because you did not stop to pay a Broker will be required and you pay double the duty. The worst situation is when they decide to seize your vehicle. Probably it just like in the USA. You lose your car! Period!

Moisheh