cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering sometimes a bit light

BuddyTowRV
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing using the E2 Trunnion style WDH. At around 55-60 mph the steering gets a little light. Slower it's ok and faster it's ok.. other than avoiding the 55-60 mph range altogether - any suggestions?

Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
What tires do you have? Running original shocks? Any wobble unloaded?โ€

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Whats your tow vehicle? If you're maxed out then bags are not the answer.

BuddyTowRV
Explorer
Explorer
Contacted service dept at the dealer.. they suggested suspension airbags.. anyone use these? How was the result?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This may be a case of expecting a truck to drive just like to did before the trailer hopped into the back hitch.
Your setup is good/reasonable from what you posted. How much towing have you done?

Or the easy solution, drive faster if that helps!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
donn0128 wrote:
You need to transfer more weight foreword. Your towing nose high.

Nope, not according to his front wheel well measurements.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some other thoughts:

I assume the weights are from going to a scale?

The Jayco specs say the CCC is 1040 lbs. That's pretty low for a 31' TT. UVW is listed as 5960 lbs and GVWR is 7K lbs. The weight of all cargo for camping, factory options and mods/upgrades is typically (anecdotally) around 1,000 lbs but can be more and sometimes less. Is it possible you're over the GVWR?

Tongue weight is normally in the 12-13% range making your actual TW likely to be around 900 lbs. Can be up to 15% in some cases, like on our 29' TT. Are the trunnion bars rated high enough? We have a Reese DC WDH and Reese defines their rating as cargo wt. + tongue wt. which is different than all the other manufacturers.

What is the payload capacity of the truck? If you've gone to a scale, just take the wt. of the truck and subtract it from the GVWR on the door pillar sticker. Actual payload can vary quite a bit in some cases. What is the wt. of all payload in the truck when fully loaded for camping (passengers, pets, groceries, camping stuff, full tank of fuel)? How does the actual payload cap. of the truck compare to the payload + TW?

What tires are on the truck? If P rated, replace them with LT type.

Tire pressure on the TT tires should be at max sidewall psi. PSI on the truck tires should be inflated to or near max. I run our LRE LTs at 75 front and 80 rear.

Are you towing with one or more full holding tanks? Not only could that put you over the GVWR, it could affect the TW a lot depending on location of tank(s).

You can also adjust a WDH at a scale instead of using the fender height method and is more accurate.

Is it possible the front end needs a rebuild? I had to do a complete rebuild on ours at only 3 years old and about 100K miles. It was a lease return and had been used in an area full of potholes and rough roads.

Heavy duty shocks on the TV can help a lot. I installed Bilsteins and they really made a difference. Shocks on a TT can also help a lot but are not a simple bolt-on project. We added them to our TT and they made a HUGE improvement in sway and handling.

Is there any play between the WDH and receiver? Reese has shims available to remove excess play. I installed them on our WDH.

Sometimes it can be multiple things that need to be addressed to get it to where it should be. Posting a pic or two of your TV & TT hooked up may or may not help. Once you do get it figured out, towing should be a breeze at any speed (up to rating of the tires of course).

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

My comment was made before the OP posted his measurements.

No problem, I was pointing my comment to Ron.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

How could he transfer more weight, he's already brought the front back to 0. Am I missing something?
FWW 36-1/4 unloaded
FWW 36-1/4 loaded

MEASUREMENTS:Truck Front Wheel Well, Rear Wheel Well
UNLOADED-FWW=36 1/4" RWW=38 1/4"
TRAILER HITCHED WITHOUT WD BARS-FWW=36 7/8" RWW=36 1/4"
TRAILER HITCHED WITH WD BARS IN PLACE-FWW=36 1/4" RWW=36 5/8"

My comment was made before the OP posted his measurements.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Sounds like you need to transfer more weight to the front end of the TV. Measure front end height at the wheel well both hitched and unhitched. The difference should be minimal, like a half inch or less.

X2

How could he transfer more weight, he's already brought the front back to 0. Am I missing something?
FWW 36-1/4 unloaded
FWW 36-1/4 loaded

MEASUREMENTS:Truck Front Wheel Well, Rear Wheel Well
UNLOADED-FWW=36 1/4" RWW=38 1/4"
TRAILER HITCHED WITHOUT WD BARS-FWW=36 7/8" RWW=36 1/4"
TRAILER HITCHED WITH WD BARS IN PLACE-FWW=36 1/4" RWW=36 5/8"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Sounds like you need to transfer more weight to the front end of the TV. Measure front end height at the wheel well both hitched and unhitched. The difference should be minimal, like a half inch or less.

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
WD seems good. Is the trailer nose high when hitched? Should be level or just a bit lower that the rear.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of tires do you have? Are you running original shocks? Checked ball joints and tie rods?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Your FWW is back to original so thats spot on. You're trucks level so thats good.
How is the TT for level or parallel to the ground?
Whats your tire PSI on the TT and truck?
Other than maybe the short WB of the truck everything looks good to me.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You need to transfer more weight foreword. Your towing nose high.