Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thinking about a trip across country
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Thinking about a trip across country

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
woodtrucker

riner, va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry. I realized I created another profile while we were camping b/c my old email wasn't working and I couldn't log in.

2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner TV-6.7.35
2001 Keystone Sprinter 262RLS 5th wheel

Isaac-1

SW Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/18 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replacing the jack knife sofa with something more comfortable might be a reasonable compromise on the sleeping situation. Perhaps a sofa / air bed sleeper like featured here https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-sofa-bed/

welove2drive

Southwestern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the adult kids camp with us we remove our dining table and chairs for the trip. We put an air mattress on the floor. We set it on our bed during the day. Sometimes we use the tent. This trip we are going to try using the tent like a screen house. Take the trip. Great memories! Find interesting places for pit stops along the way.
Marcia

Dave and Marcia
02 Ford F350SD 4X4 SRW Longbed, 7.3PSD Auto
07 Flagstaff 829RGSS

lewisr

Howell, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've done similar trips over the last 25 years with our kids, most times with 5 or more kids. I'd get an air mattress similar to this or narrower. https://tinyurl.com/ybtnmosa On our trips we usually start the first day with an 11 to 12 hour day and spend the night at WalMart or someplace similar then 5-6 hours the next day and 5-7 hrs days after that. Out of camp by 8 to 9 am and then camping again at 2-3 in the afternoon. Many places on the way out and back you may want to spend a couple nights or more as well.This gives the kids plenty of time unwind. I'd plan on 4-5 nights at Yellowstone if you want to see all of it. We stayed 4 nights 2 years ago and could have used more. We hit Independence Rock, Castle Rock and Jackson Hole on the way out and Devil's Tower, MT Rushmore etc, Badlands on the way back. There are many places to hit as well. Just don't try to do too much. Headphones, videos and travel games worked well for us over the years. Headed to Colorado and Utah this summer with 4 of our kids. They're 10, 17, 19 and 21 and still want to go with us. All have been doing this since they were newborns. I do all the driving and it's fine.

'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 01:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is doable, if the family is inclined to see it as an adventure rather than a hardship. In 1961 we did it with four adults (two in their 70s, we were helping my grandparents settle a land transaction) and six kids ranging age 3 to 15, nine passenger station wagon hauling a 20-foot travel trailer (16-foot box with a bed over the hitch), which could sleep all of us, six two to a bed, the youngest four on a 5x7 foot gaucho. It would seat only four, so we were much dependent on campsite and roadside park accommodations, and sometimes two or three of us would opt to sleep in the back of the station wagon. Detroit, U.P., across northern tier to Montana (destination west of Missoula). Side trip to Glacier, Yellowstone on the way home through Wyoming, S Dakota, Iowa, Chicago. Two weeks.

I would not do a 30 hour drive to Yellowstone. No more than 10 hours a day moving, interesting stops along the way to keep the kids from feeling imprisoned, looking for interesting places to overnight. You know your own kids, but maybe you've not tested them to this degree.

Truck sounds good, just broken in. Check hoses and belts, tires and shocks. You don't gain that much more space with a Megacab or anyone else's crew cab.

A new fiver has potential to introduce new problems. I would want a season on camping before taking it on a long road trip. If the old one is getting crowded for sleeping, there is probably room to make up another bunk on the floor.

Now is probably a good time for the trip, ages are right for seeing it as an adventure. A couple more years until the oldest starts seeing it as hardship (until old enough to share in the driving, which makes it fun again).

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Campingdad18

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/18 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tatest, best advice yet!
I think it’s great timing too and everything we use
Right now has proven itself as far as reliability and that’s very
Important for long trips. We’ll sit down as a family and decide
How far we are willing to go and make it happen next year!
Thanks so much!

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having made several long trips, and another one planned for this year, we always plan on trying to be shut down by 5 pm every night when were driving. Since I have a pop-up, we will stay in a hotel/motel on the drive to avoid having to spend the time opening it up for just a quick overnight stay.

Since you don't have to worry about that, I'd look for campsites that have things for the kids, swimming...etc that will let them burn off their pent up energy from the day and it has at least worked well for us so far.

You might want to pick a few places along the way that are worth staying at for a couple of days to give everybody a chance to mentally refresh for the rest of the trip.

Look at the Black Hills in SD as a possible end destination spot. We were there a couple of years ago and had a really great time. You can either do a lot or a little and still have fun.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/18 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember when making your decision that if you don't make the trip this year, you'll just be another year older next and sorry you didn't do it this year.

I worked with guys that couldn't seem to finish a report, they were never happy with how it was written and did endless rewrites. I was taught that after one or two rewrites, PUBLISH. Moral; just make the decision.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

woodtrucker

riner, va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/18 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Having made several long trips, and another one planned for this year, we always plan on trying to be shut down by 5 pm every night when were driving. Since I have a pop-up, we will stay in a hotel/motel on the drive to avoid having to spend the time opening it up for just a quick overnight stay.

Since you don't have to worry about that, I'd look for campsites that have things for the kids, swimming...etc that will let them burn off their pent up energy from the day and it has at least worked well for us so far.

You might want to pick a few places along the way that are worth staying at for a couple of days to give everybody a chance to mentally refresh for the rest of the trip.

Look at the Black Hills in SD as a possible end destination spot. We were there a couple of years ago and had a really great time. You can either do a lot or a little and still have fun.

Awesome advice! thanks and you aren't the first that has recommended the black hills. great idea on the pool thing and shutting down at 5pm every day.

woodtrucker

riner, va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Just remember when making your decision that if you don't make the trip this year, you'll just be another year older next and sorry you didn't do it this year.

I worked with guys that couldn't seem to finish a report, they were never happy with how it was written and did endless rewrites. I was taught that after one or two rewrites, PUBLISH. Moral; just make the decision.

I agree whole-heartedly with your moral here. We ran into some friends camping this past weekend and they showed us all the pictures from their trip out west and got us all excited! I think we are going to make this happen!

* This post was edited 06/18/18 07:15am by woodtrucker *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Thinking about a trip across country
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS