cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yoho National Park -- Monarch First Come

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Since Kicking Horse CG (88 sites) is closed, what is the chance of getting a first come site at Monarch with only 44 sites? We will be at Yoho in early August. Has anyone camped there in 2018? What time of the day does it fill up.

What other options are there. I do not need FHU.

I know I can call the park and probable get the information.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
14 REPLIES 14

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Well said, Mountaineer42. You can NOT just camp along the road with your rv anywhere in Canadian National Parks, thank Goodness. There is an overflow campground a few km East of Lake Louise along hwy 1. Perhaps that is what robatthelake is referring to?

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Mountaineer42 wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Mountaineer42 wrote:
robatthelake wrote:
There is boondocking at Lake Loiuise ! Take the first right and park anywhere along the road!

I think not!! Parks Canada is VERY adamant about NO BOONDOCKING and while you may have got away with it in the past, it was just plain luck, and I would not plan on it in the future.

It is an APPROVED overflow "camping" at GPS N51ยฐ 23.230' W116ยฐ 07.787' and is about $10.00 CDN per night. No tents.

Different maps often are not very accurate in their coordinates (Streets and Trips or Google Maps) but those coordinates put you along Hwy 93, pretty close to the Marble Canyon campground in Kootenay National Park. There is no overflow campground there.
Robatthelake's comment was about boondocking at Lake Louise. From his directions it would be right in the little village of Lake Louise and for certain, no boondocking is allowed there.

Sorry try this screenshot from Google Earth

That is the official Lake Louise overflow campground. For sure you can stop there and although it gets busy, I've seldom seen it full.
My response to Robatthelake's comment was about boondocking, which to me typically means staying in a completely undeveloped area or just parking along the Hwy or on a street in town, as opposed to a designated site. For sure, that type of "boondocking" is not allowed in the little Village of Lake Louise.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Mountaineer42 wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Mountaineer42 wrote:
robatthelake wrote:
There is boondocking at Lake Loiuise ! Take the first right and park anywhere along the road!

I think not!! Parks Canada is VERY adamant about NO BOONDOCKING and while you may have got away with it in the past, it was just plain luck, and I would not plan on it in the future.

It is an APPROVED overflow "camping" at GPS N51ยฐ 23.230' W116ยฐ 07.787' and is about $10.00 CDN per night. No tents.

Different maps often are not very accurate in their coordinates (Streets and Trips or Google Maps) but those coordinates put you along Hwy 93, pretty close to the Marble Canyon campground in Kootenay National Park. There is no overflow campground there.
Robatthelake's comment was about boondocking at Lake Louise. From his directions it would be right in the little village of Lake Louise and for certain, no boondocking is allowed there.

Sorry try this screenshot from Google Earth

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Mountaineer42 wrote:
robatthelake wrote:

Those coordinates put you at the Vermillion Pass (Continental Divide) stop along Hwy 93.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Mountaineer42 wrote:
robatthelake wrote:

Travel Photos

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
Kickinghorse campground is closed because there was a large avalanche there this winter. They are assessing the damage and what needs to be done to get it repaired and open. If you are coming in August, it MAY be reopened by then. If not, Monarch is available but will fill early in the day. I'd try to be there by 10:00 am and get in line to get a site as someone else moves out. Most of the campers there are just stopping for one or two nights as they travel through, so there is a large turnover of sites every day.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Since Kicking Horse CG (88 sites) is closed, what is the chance of getting a first come site at Monarch with only 44 sites? We will be at Yoho in early August. Has anyone camped there in 2018? What time of the day does it fill up.

What other options are there. I do not need FHU.

I know I can call the park and probable get the information.

We did not stay there last year but in August 2016 the parks people opened the Monarch CG to over flow camping in the places usually reservered for parking only. So no problems getting in. Just remember, this is the busiest time of the year so to insure a spot, arrive early.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:

Could you be more specific?

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really liked Kicking Horse and Yoho a long time ago, there were no reservations. The weather can be cold and wet even in August. Those parks are overlooked by a lot of people.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1761683-i26958-k6283386-Kicking_Horse_Campground_or_Lake_Louis...
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Powder pig wrote:

Have you considered staying at the Lake Louise campground instead?

Lake Louise is full the first few weeks in Aug.

Travel Photos

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what the story will be if Kicking horse is closed so there is extra demand but other years Monarch doesn't fill up most nights until after dinner. Just a note that there are no hook ups of any kind at this campground.

Have you considered staying at the Lake Louise campground instead? It is not that far from Field so you could see the same things by driving down the hill from Lake Louise. If you have a smaller vehicle (nothing larger than a pick up) the drive up to Takakaw falls is worth while.