Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dump/Fill -- Columbia Icefield Visitor Center -- Camping

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
30 foot fifth wheel

Is there a place to dump/fill near the dry camping area at the visitor center? Because we are late planning our trip, we can not get into any FHU sites. We plan to dry camp at the icefield visitor center for a few days (4 - 6) and we may need to dump/fill.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
8 REPLIES 8

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the tent-only Icefield campground (between Wilcox and the visitor center), water comes from a stream above the campground, it's treated and stored in a tank at the top of the main loop. A modest size truck could drive up and fill a jug or two from its faucet.

This campground is perhaps the best argument for camping with a tent or van sized vehicle.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to carry a " water thief" which will allow you to connect to those unthreaded faucets. Just be sure it is potable water.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you pull into Wilcox with your rig, you might want to scout with your truck -- not sure about the access to the dump station. I am pretty sure the campsites themselves at Wilcox are too small for your rig, and the interior road is very tight.

If you can fit in there, it is a very nice campground -- quieter than the parking area at the Icefields. There are several days' worth of good hikes in that vicinity.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Powder_pig
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there is a dump station at Wilcox creek campground a couple of km south of Columbia Icefields. Not sure if you can fill with water there or not though I know there are water taps but any are not threaded so I don't know how you would attach your hose.

Yes, there is dry camping at the overflow site at Columbia Icefields with pit toilets but no other services. Still not a bad place to spend a night or two with fabulous views of the Athabasca glacier.

And yes, there is camping at Wilcox creek campground though it has no hook ups of any kind and would not fit large units.

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
Romore wrote:
Camping is only permitted in designated sites in the national parks, the visitor center is not one of them. If the cg's are full there are overflow areas with no facilities, usually a gravel pit. What canadafan said.

No Wilcox is not an overflow area it is a proper 46 site campground

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Camping is only permitted in designated sites in the national parks, the visitor center is not one of them . If the cg's are full there are overflow areas with no facilities, usually a gravel pit. What canadafan said.

Not true. There is a non-serviced "campground" at the Visitor Centre. It is really just a big paved parking lot but has dry toilets available. First come first served, RV's only, tents not allowed. There are 100 sites marked out on the pavement. Fee is $15.70.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping is only permitted in designated sites in the national parks, the visitor center is not one of them. If the cg's are full there are overflow areas with no facilities, usually a gravel pit. What canadafan said.

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
Try Wilcox Creek CG, about 3km south of the Icefield Centre . There are dump facilities and water.