Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Hot Tires?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hot Tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 03:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.

How hot was "hot"? Too hot to touch, lukewarm, melting into a gooey mess? 20 to 30 degrees above ambient?
Probably normal, unless the tread ran into the storm drain as a liquid when you pulled over.

By the time this runs it's course you'll need new tires, or an axle, or a new trailer. Possibly a new boat and a 1 ton diesel dually also. What's the payload of the TV? Have you been to the cat scale every time you throw an extra ultralight fishing rod in the boat and change your weight?

Get a TPMS regardless of my sarcasm.....cheap insurance. If I could lay my hand on them without getting a blister I wouldn't worry much. You should feel how hot the tires get on one of our 45' flats with about 48K lbs of concrete products loaded after 10 miles.

2015 GMC 2500HD SLE Z71 DCLB It's got a cop motor, a three hundred and sixty six cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Under inflated, If correct pressure, wrong tire, not a trailer tire.
If trailer tire, needs to 50 psi

2014 Ram Laramie, 3500, Crew Cab, Long bed, 4 x 4,Dually, Lights & Siren!

2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, read the sidewall of the tire. What max pressure does it say? Use that, then get back to us.

Also, if the tire says 50 psi, those tires are toast and you should replace them right away.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Were they fully inflated? Underinflated tires can overheat.

x2
the small 20.5x8.0-10 tires on our pontoon boat trailer have a recommended psi of 90

the previous owner we bought the boat from ran about 40psi because he thought 90 was too much

i run 90 psi

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess is Load range C tires, max load pressure should be 50 psi.

When taking delivery of our brand new Coleman TT, a couple of months ago, the dealer (Camping World), handed me a sheet, 3 columns of items/systems they “checked”. One item was tire pressure and written in was “inflated to 65 psi”.

I towed it home, about 90 miles. Got to thinking about the tire/load sticker on the left front of the trailer. It states Load Range C tires, max load 50 psi. Confirmed by looking at the tires.

So I checked, looking for 65 psi. First tire read 35. The rest were between 35 and 40. Luckily the trailer wasn’t loaded. Had I not checked, loaded up and left on a trip... Probably not good.

I had a “chat” with the salesman concerning the issue.

Rich
2018 Ram 2500HD Cummins
2018 Coleman Lantern 262

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

routeforty wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

Yeah, probably overloaded. Often times you'll roll up on someone towing a boat on those spindly little 12" tires, and you can see they're clearly overtaxing the tires and axle, as the wheels are splayed out at a 15 degree angle to vertical.

What size tires? What is the weight rating? What boat?
Amen to that. I noticed our pontoon trailer tires wearing on the inside, then looked at the axle, which was bowed so badly it looked like it was smiling at me. Took it to a scale and the gross weight was 2950lbs on a 2500lb axle. Had it changed to a 3500lb axle and end of problem. This was a brand new boat & trailer with only 2 trips from Oh to Fl, and about 10 trips to the lake. Maybe 4000 miles(but probably less).Gary

Fwiw, trailer axles are supposed to be "bowed"

It produces camber

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/18 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said both tires felt the same. That is a very good sign. Make sure they’re fully inflated. You might want to check the DOT #. The first two numbers are the week they were manufactured and the last two are the year. Even with the care you’ve taken of them they time out at about 5 years. At that point they’re getting risky, time for baby’s new shoes.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eHoefler wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Under inflated, If correct pressure, wrong tire, not a trailer tire.
If trailer tire, needs to 50 psi

From experience, I never fully inflate a very old tire. I stay 5 psi short because they do blow. I assume that these tires are from 2006 as the boat was when it came in a house deal. They will be changed but I just didn't know what could cause this to happen.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/18 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good info. Everything points to tires being old and check the weight. Aged out and time to get new shoes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Hot Tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS